Does the Floodlight Cam work as a standalone floodlight when NOT connected to Wi-Fi?

Hello all!

I have going through a remodel, and am curious about when I should install the Ring Floodlight Cam over my garage.

Should this be one of the last things I do, when internet is back up and running? Or can I have this installed while work is still being done, no internet.

I am curious if the floodlight cam works as a standalone floodlight with sensor when not connected to wifi, as I’d like at least for the light to trigger outside when detecting motion for the meantime, just like our older floodlight with sensor does currently.

1 Like

@cadistefano wrote:

Hello all!

I have going through a remodel, and am curious about when I should install the Ring Floodlight Cam over my garage.

Should this be one of the last things I do, when internet is back up and running? Or can I have this installed while work is still being done, no internet.

I am curious if the floodlight cam works as a standalone floodlight with sensor when not connected to wifi, as I’d like at least for the light to trigger outside when detecting motion for the meantime, just like our older floodlight with sensor does currently.

If it’s already been configured and then goes offline, it will continue to work as a motion light with the settings it had, but it just won’t record anything. But if you’ve never configured the light before, it won’t light up for motion until you’ve configured it. (Unless something changed in a recent software update that changed the behavior, this is correct still.)

So if it’s a brand new install, wait until the internet is up, and if you need light just hang a cheap $10 floodlight temporarily and swap when ready to configure the Floodlight Cam.

If you’re moving it from one location to another, it should continue to function with the existing saved configuration of the motion sensor for the light, even if it isn’t yet connected to the new network.

3 Likes

That is an excellent question @cadistefano! The Floodlight Cam will not detect motion or trigger lights automatically if it is not connected to Wi-Fi and setup in the Ring App. If there is a light switch existing or controlling the power source that your Floodlght Cam is installed on, you would have the ability to turn the lights on and off manually. Here’s our article on how to do so. If you scroll down on this page and click to expand the “Light Features and Light Settings” section, it should contain the information you are looking for. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification @abqnm. I’ll leave our cheap sensored floodlight up until the network is running. Then install after. It also puts me at ease to know that if (after setup is complete) wifi is lost, at least the floodlight will still light up when detecting motion like a regular sensor light. Thats a relief.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help @Marley_Ring. I’ll leave the old standard sensor floodlight up until internet is back, then setup. I do like that it will still work as a regular sensor light if wifi ever drops (after its been set up).

2 Likes

Hi,

Where you able to figure it out if the motion light could work without WIFI? We turn our WIFI off every night but why would the motion light part of it not work if no WIF? it makes no sense

HI. Hoping to open this thread again because I don’t think the user’s questions was answered 100%.

I too am wondering if the Ring Floodlight camera unit will still turn on the lights if it loses WiFi?

I have already connected my floodlight to Wifi and set up a “schedule” for the lights to turn on at Dusk and off at Dawn. If my Wifi goes out, will the lights still turn on automatically in this scenario?

@Marley_Ring can you please answer my question?

Hi @adubs1092. A wifi connection is required for your Floodlight Cam to work, so the Light Schedule will not work without a wifi connection. If your Floodlight Cam isn’t connected to wifi, it cannot follow the Light Schedule you have set as it’s not communicating with the Ring app.

1 Like

What about the motion settings?

Hi @Jr74. What about the motion settings?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.