Does Ring cameras work with WPA3 router?

Dear all,

I am in the market to buy a new router to replace my old one. Wondering if I shall buy one with WPA3 security option. The reason is that I heard routers with WPA2 are vulnerable to Deauth attacks, which can knock camera off the wifi. I heard WPA3 solved this issue. Anyone know if that is ture?

Also need to know if Ring cameras will work with WPA3. I have Ring Flood Light cameras and G3 stickup cameras.

Thanks.

Flyingtiger

3 Likes

Hey @Flyingtiger. At this time, our hardware does not support connecting to a WPA3 router. If possible on the WPA3 router, you could change the encryption type to WPA2/WPA. While Ring devices are compatible with a number of encryption types, we generally recommend using the WPA2/WPA encryption. WEP encryption is less secure and occasionally causes some hiccups with Ring device setups. Hope this help clear it up for you!

1 Like

I am moving to WPA3 as well, standard has 2 years already. Please, I need to have it supported as soon as possible and I undertand many people are moving to WPA3 right now as well.

What are your plans on doing so? What timeframe are we talking about?

I need to know if I need to start looking for alternatives, WPA2 is 14 years old and have holes in many places.

1 Like

At this time, @wojciech_czyz , we do not have more information for you nor a defined timeframe. We will certainly keep you posted. Thank you

1 Like

What a surprise… another company making IoT devices that fail to maintain the security of their products.

2 Likes

Seems people have been asking all year if Ring will use WPA3 and the only response throughout the year is that no one that works for Ring knows. Seems odd that Ring would not have some type of plan to migrate to a more secure protocol. No future plans will make potential new customers go elsewhere. I know I am now certainly looking to replace my Ring devices as I have no intention of not using WPA3 for my home just to satisfy the camera’s that I purchased for the sole purpose of Security. Guess Ring Wifi is not the way to go, considering weak WEP, WPA, and now WPA2 is the new trend to hack the routers and thus gain access to the devices, including the Wifi camera’s in the home.

Wanted to add an update. Until Ring does hopefully add WPA3 protocol support…You can get a new Router with WPA3 as long as it has a guest network option, in which you can connect your Ring devices to your guest network using WPA2. While the Ring devices will not be as secure, at least you can setup your home network to use WPA3 so your phones, laptops, TVs, and the like, will all be more secure.

1 Like

Not the best response even mentioning WEP or WPA to be honest, these can both be hacked very easily and if this is the official response when asked about security improvements I’m going to look at replacing my Door Bell, Floodlight and stick up cam ASAP

WPA2 can also be penetrated so for the future of your business stop fobbing customers off with dangerous advise and invest in updating your security protocols

It appears as if these devices only actually connect with WPA, and Ring makes it appear as though they use WPA2 by recommending “WPA/WPA2”. Most routers show WPA/WPA2 as the encryption option, so both types of devices will connect. One would think Ring would have admin actually active in this forum if keeping devices secure was a genuine concern for the company.

Hi neighbors. At this time, WPA3 security is not currently supported with Ring devices. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add your continued feedback and vote on the request for WPA3 support, linked below.

This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for that really help but of advice. Just moved to a WPA 3 set and just Ring products don’t work in the house. Will go down the guest route as suggested till I can replace my now redundant cameras!

Guys.
We are in the middle of 2022 and we are having the same issues:
I just got a NETGEAR ORBI router. Top-notch, and I cannot connect my IoT camera. That’s crazy.
Instead of downgrading the security, I will wait to get a feedback from Ring, otherwise, I will move to a “different” supplier that I know supports the WPA3 protocol.

3 Likes

As someone with knowledge of networks as well as how companies roll out new security and updates there are no plans to make WPA3 a reality for Ring devices or those at least that are already have been sold on the market, they would want to market a new device that supports that feature for a money grab. Take point it has been more than 3 years with empty promises and unanswered requests, I feel, excuse me here, but just “bullcrap” excuses. It literally does not take very long for a company to roll out wpa3 support for their devices. If their ball rolls slow then at most 6 months. My household has had to disconnect our ring from our network due to vulnerability and hacking by bad actors leaving the device to be an over priced flood light. I would highly suggest not to follow their feedback to use guest networks as these are highly insecure and opens a vulnerable door for hackers to breach your router. All it takes is a little googling to find this information. I’m sorry but as a customer I am highly disappointed this is not already reality, I do not believe they have any plans to make this happen. For the price of these devices they surely have dropped the ball! My device has been sitting disconnected from the network waiting on wpa3 ability but it is not coming. If your someone that wants more security and relies on your ring flood light your best bet is to run a 2nd router solely for connecting your ring devices but this is not something a novice can do easily just use Google. Ring, get your act together, spend the money to increase security on your devices and at least seem to try and care about your customers! Your products have left a bad impression on me more than once.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.