Disable Lights but still record motion

Hi

How do i disable Lights switching on but still record motion in the dark ?
thanks

Nige.

Hey @Levanterman. What kind of device do you have? If you have.a Spotlight Cam Battery, if you go until your Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Spotlight Cam > Device Settings > Light Settings > there is a toggle in here to “Turn on lights with motion” which you can toggle off!

I have a Spotlight Cam Wired. I don’t see the toggle disable/enable for the spotlight. I want motion alerts but not the lights coming on when I’m home.

Thanks,

Hey @fotomom, happy to chime in here. For the Spotlight Cam Wired, you can toggle off the Motion Zones for the lights specifically which will prevent them from coming on with motion. You’ll want to open the Ring App > Main Menu > Devices > Spotlight Cam > Device Settings > Light Settings > Motion Zones for Lights and then tap off each of the three zones. I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That answer is helpful. Thanks! I had reduced all zones to the bare minimum while waiting for this answer, but I do see that I can turn each of the 3 zones off completely.

I have the original Ring Doorbell, and we were using it as a security camera long before Ring released an official security camera.

I’m a computer programmer, and for our application with the new Spotlight Cam Wired, it feels like it is working against me. What I really want is Away to always trigger the light and Home to never triggger it, but since this is an outside unit, Home doesn’t work like that. Also, why make the wired vs. battery work differently? I’d like the toggle for the light too. Easy enough for the Ring programmer to give me that option. Right now I will have to manually manage this device and probably forget when we are Away to enable it the way I’d like it to work.

@fotomom You’re welcome. Regarding your request on how the lights work with the Modes feature, we’ve created aFeature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile: