Cutting power to the Indoor Cam to stop recording

Hi,

I want to buy the Indoor Cam as part of my home security, but I don’t want it to record all the time whilst we’re home. I heard you can only turn of motion alerts and you can’t actually set a recording schedule - is that still the case? If so, if I plug it into a smart plug so I can set a schedule where the power cuts out, would the camera need to be reset manually every time the power was reconnected? Or would it just turn on and go?

Thanks!

Hi @Kat6. You can disable the recording on the Indoor Cam a few different ways. First, there will be a manual toggle on the Indoor Cam’s device profile page in the Ring App, where you can toggle the recording on and off manually whenever you need to. The other way you can control the recording is via the Modes settings, where you can set how your Indoor Cam will behave based on what mode it is in. For example, you can set it to only record when it is in the Away mode and to not record when it is in the Home mode. I hope that helps clear things up for you! :slight_smile:

The Mode setting is manual. Will the Indoor Cam stop/restart recording if the power is cut by a Smart Plug which can detect automatically whether the user is Home or Away which is much more satisfactory?

Will Ring introduce location based Settings? Manually having to change from Home to Away in a domestic situation is a hassle.

Hi @truespirit. If the Indoor Cam is disconnected from power, it will stop recording. Once it is reconnected to power, it will need to reconnect to your home wifi network before it can begin recording again. Typically the Camera is able to do this on its own once power is restored, but occasionally you may have to walk through a new setup if it is not automatically reconnecting to wifi.

As for location-based settings, I don’t have any news to share on that yet. However, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile: