Control over multiple devises

If apps installed say, two Phones and PC, how would altering like turning off recording, or anything else on any one of them would affect the other apps? Should the others show the same as the one altered? Hope someone can explain this.

Best regards,

@robit wrote:

If apps installed say, two Phones and PC, how would altering like turning off recording, or anything else on any one of them would affect the other apps? Should the others show the same as the one altered? Hope someone can explain this.

Best regards,

Hello @robit ,

Each device (the two phones and the PC) Ring App can be logged onto either by the “Owner” email & password. You can log in simultaneously on multiple phones using the same Owner email & password, but then each device has ‘master-control’, and major settings that you alter as the _Owner _ on one phone would change and alter the RIng camera/device settings, because as the Owner, you have access to all the settings.

But if on the other devices you logged-on with a “Shared User” email & password, then changing settings are limited (the Owner is the master-controller). Share Users have limitations, and the few setting changes that a Shared User can make DO NOT affect the Owner’s master settings for the setup of each camera or other Ring devices. As Share Users, there are minor settings for ONLY THAT DEVICE can be independently changed/set (such as Alert Tones/Chirp sounds). Here are more details about “Owner”, “Shared Users”, and if you have an Alarm System, the “Guest User”:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005235186-Controlling-Ring-Devices-With-Users-and-Roles

So for example, even though my spouse knows my “Owner” Ring email/password, we both prefer that she logs onto her Phone App as a “Shared User.” So then she can tailor her Alert Tones/Chirp Sounds, without any worry of messing up or changing other important settings, since the Shared User’s available setting-options are limited. The Shared User also only has access to the cameras or Ring devices that the Owner has granted permission (utilizing the “Control Center” menu-setting).

I hope this information is helpful to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @robit ,

Each device (the two phones and the PC) Ring App can be logged onto either by the “Owner” email & password. You can log in simultaneously on multiple phones using the same Owner email & password, but then each device has ‘master-control’, and major settings that you alter as the _Owner _ on one phone would change and alter the RIng camera/device settings, because as the Owner, you have access to all the settings.

Thank you Boone, for the very detailed information and yes, we’re logged in on three devices with Owner email and password as I your first paragraph.

What my query was that if I alter a camera setting on device 1, i.e. turn off recording, looking on device 2, it still shows that recording is on. I would have thought it should/would show it off on all devices since they are all Owner logins. My assumption is that they can’t interact?

Kind regards

2 Likes

Thank you Boone, for the very detailed information and yes, we’re logged in on three devices with Owner email and password as I your first paragraph.

What my query was that if I alter a camera setting on device 1, i.e. turn off recording, looking on device 2, it still shows that recording is on. I would have thought it should/would show it off on all devices since they are all Owner logins. My assumption is that they can’t interact?

Kind regards

Hello @robit ,

I assumed that they do interact, indirectly. What I mean by that is, whenever you make a change on the “Owner” email/password log-in, your App is directly interacting with the Ring computer server. Your account information is stored on the “Ring Cloud”, not on the device that you have the App on. I have noticed that ‘little things’ can be different on different “Owner” Apps, such as Alert Tones/Chirp Tones, but I think important settings, when changed/modified on any of the ‘controlling Owner Master’ ,then that change is sent to the Ring Cloud. Then your Ring devices (cameras, doorbells, and Alarm Base station) which Internet interact with the Ring account ‘cloud’, should be changed.

Now, the other Apps (also logged using the Owner email/password) might not instantly reflect the setting change accomplished on a different App. But I bet if you logged off and then back on that App, it should reflect the changes done on the other App that made the change . . . I think. LOL

My understanding is whichever “Owner logged” App made the last change, it was sent to the Ring Cloud, and that would be the true current setting. It would be interesting to conduct an experiment to see if this is true.

This is a reason I only log on with the “Owner” email/password on a single cellular phone. And my spouse logs on as a “Shared User.” Now, the Windows PC App is very limited on which settings are available, so it isn’t a problem for me to log onto both my phone and PC with the same Owner email/password. But since the cellular phone App has all the available settings, I would advise not using multiple cellphones all logged in as the Owner. I even have two cellphones (in addition to my spouse’s) so I made another email and Ring account for myself, and made a “Shared User” for me (with that other email account) to use on that extra phone.

I’d be interested in hearing if indeed you do “The experiment” with two phones and both logged in as the “Owner” and then make some setting changes. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Boone,

Many thanks again for your answer. I was away while we communicated and just gt back to UK.

To elaborate, I would rather have the owner account but unfortunately when my doorbell was installed, I was out and to test it, my spouse created the account. Unfortunately, we had problems while she clicked and altered things that created problems, lots of password changes and setting up again. Sorry to say, Ring don’t make it easy to swap account over to me, which they should be able to do without disrupting everything. If you know an easy way to change account, please let me know. In the meanwhile, I’ll do some experiments when I can.

1 Like

@robit wrote:

Hi @Boone,

Many thanks again for your answer. I was away while we communicated and just gt back to UK.

To elaborate, I would rather have the owner account but unfortunately when my doorbell was installed, I was out and to test it, my spouse created the account. Unfortunately, we had problems while she clicked and altered things that created problems, lots of password changes and setting up again. Sorry to say, Ring don’t make it easy to swap account over to me, which they should be able to do without disrupting everything. If you know an easy way to change account, please let me know. In the meanwhile, I’ll do some experiments when I can.

Yes @robit , you can swap over the ring account to you. We can here in the USA, and when I checked the UK Ring.com , it goes to the same Support Help link, so I assume this ‘swap email’ feature is available in the UK too. This will cause the least amount of disruption.

Using your wife’s current ‘owner’ email/password complete the directions per the below link, and change the email address to your Ring email/password. Then your account will be the ‘owner’ account. Then, Double check or change your wife’s email account to a “Shared User”. So basically, you two both are swapped. :slight_smile:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002566283-Changing-your-Email-Address-in-the-Ring-App

Hey @robit! Thanks for stepping in and sharing that helpful information, @Boone. I would like to clarify that the email address on a Ring account cannot be changed to an email address that is already associated with a Ring account. If you have a separate email address that you have not set up a Ring account with, you can change it over to that one. I hope that helps clear things up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you both for the reply.

I will endeaver to swich user account as suggested

Kind regards,

2 Likes

Boone,

I did make a change on one device, turned on motion detect on my phone. I then logged out on my other phone and then logged back in and the change that I made was not changed on the second device. Both devices are logged in with the same email and Password.
Any suggestions?
Randy