Configurable Motion zones for security cameras

I would really like for Ring to do an upgrade to the features of the security cameras to give you the same functionality of the Doorbell Pro’s. The ability to configure a motion area for this device. I have several of these and cannot get them to not pick up on motion outside of the area that I am interested in. Not having this functionality is a big detraction.

3 Likes

I have a Ring Doorbell Pro and quite a few of the cameras. The zone and sensativity adjustments are there on all the cameras (doorbell is a camera). Maybe look again in the app. Select your device > settings > motion. In my Ring app they are the same. Good news! what you want is there!

The Stick Up Cams do not have a configurable polygon zone for motion. They have a general sensitivity setting - but not a zone that you can map with the view of the camera.

@MarkSanders wrote:

The Stick Up Cams do not have a configurable polygon zone for motion. They have a general sensitivity setting - but not a zone that you can map with the view of the camera.

Not sure what to say here . . . I have several Stick Up Cams and they all have the configurable zones eactly like my Ring Pro Doorbell. As does my indoor camera.

Brad - are yours the plug-in version or battery. It appears from my digging that only the stick-up powered versions have motion zones. For some reason the alternative powered stick-ups do not.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021842611-Utilizing-Motion-Zones-With-Your-Powered-Ring-Devices

@MarkSanders wrote:

Brad - are yours the plug-in version or battery. It appears from my digging that only the stick-up powered versions have motion zones. For some reason the alternative powered stick-ups do not.

All of my cameras are powered, either power supply or POE. That might explain whey we are seeing different things. So I would now assume then it is a power consumption issue in the processing of activity.

1 Like

AC powered cams have different configurable motion zones than battery cams. You can see what ring calls them by looking in the detailed specs of each cam. In short, while both are configurable, they do so differently. In my mind, the AC powered cams have a better setup, but I bet it uses more power, hence the change for the battery versions.

AC Power motion is called “Custom Motion Zones”.

Battery motion is called “Adjustable Motion Detection”.

At least this has been my experience so far. I’m learning that everything is subject to change at ring.

2 Likes

I would really like Ring to make the firmware change to allow you to do either configuration for motion with a disclaimer for power issues (if that is it) for using zones.

2 Likes

@MarkSanders: Especially for those that have solar units or don’t mind changing batteries more often!

1 Like

Mark/Brad.

Same here Mark, I just added the stick up -plug in cam… In device settings/motion settings/motion detection there is just a blue shaded area at the bottom of the picture and a slider for sensitivity, even when up full the shaded area only covers the bottom half of the pic.

On my doorbell pro however, it`s as you descibe with the polygon adjustable zones.

Also, Would appreciate if either of you could help with this …

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Setting-a-different-alert-chime-tone-for-stickup-cam/m-p/4117#M656 thanks

What happened to the abllity to configure the motion zone. All I can do know is turn off or on the 3 areas. I used to be able to set the width and how far out they recorded.

1 Like

How incredibly discouraging. I bought a Spotlight Cam and the solar panel so I wouldn’t have to run a wire, but now it’s alerting _constantly_, and the fine adjustment options that I thought would be included aren’t. There’s plenty of power to the camera, and it’s an arbitrary decision by Ring to keep the functionality I need from me.

At this point, I’m going to need to send it back, just to get some peace and quiet.

1 Like

I so wish i could configure my driveway camera like I can do my doorbell camera so I can cut off the motion at the end of my driveway. I want all three zones covered but I do not need to see every car that drives down my street. I even have the solar panel and the battery is still always dead. With the car break ins in my area, it would be nice if it would actually pick up the motion I actually need.

1 Like

Can you help with this: I have the spotlight security cam - I sat up the zones, but I want to revise it NOT to include the street. I can’t get in to delete that zone. I input the zone I wanted to keep, and it says I now have used 3 of the 3 zones and need to delete one. The only one it will allow me to delete is the most recent one. When I go ahead and delete that, I still cannot find the other two zones to delete them… (hope this makes sense) Thanks

1 Like

Hi TJ… Had a similar problem myself, but with stickup cam.

This is the email conversation I had with CS, if it`s of any help. lol.

Hi,
Re Stick up cam,
In the privacy zones section of the app ( on android) , I have set up 1 privacy zone, but when I try to add a second zone, a box pops up stating,” you have the maximum number of privacy zones, to add a new zone, please delete one of your existing zones “,as I said, I only have one zone set anyway. So, the question is, what is the maximum number of zones allowed ?
Also,., when trying to add /edit a zone, a black banner appears on screen that’s states privacy zone 14/30, along with the clickable “ Done” button, so the 2nd question is, what is 14/30 referring to ???.
xxxx CS reply
I can see that you are reaching us about setting up the privacy zone on the Ring app and wanted to know how many zones you can create Please be advised that you can create a maximum of 2 privacy zones and each zones has a minimum size of approximately 15% of the screen which the 14/30 is referring to. If you could not able to create a second zone, you may try to reinstall the Ring app by doing the steps below:- Remove the Ring App- Reboot the phone- Reinstall the Ring App
ME…
Hi xxx , I still don’t understand the 14/30 part… what is 14 ?? and what is 30 ?? … obviously its not a percentage… so please elaborate as to what 14 is and what 30 is.
xxxx CS reply
As I have mentioned from the initial response, 14/30 indicates how much size of the zone you have used up and created. 14 is the current percentage size of the first zone you created and the 30 indicates the total maximum size of the two zones that you can able to setup.
Me…
Thank you for your response, but re the 14/30, I think you may have misunderstood me.n It says 14/30 irrespective of how big the privacy zone has been set , small , medium , or large, it still says 14/30.
xxxx CS reply
Considering that you are trying to set up the privacy zone with your Ring Stick up camera, the zones are drawable which indicates that 30 is the total drawable boxes that you can set and the 14 is the total zones that you have created throughout the set up which means this is an identifier with the current zones you have and I would like to ask if the error still occurring after you reinstall the Ring app? I also would like to ask if your current app version is 2.4.6 or later. I am currently working with our Advance team on this matter.
ME…
Hi again xxxx … You really need to explain more clearly. In your last reply, you stated … “ that 30 is the total drawable boxes “ .In a previous reply, you stated … “ you can create a maximum of 2 privacy zones” . so… 30 or 2 ???
So… the obvious question is what I first asked… How many zones maximum ?? Also in previous reply you mention 15% as a percentage of the screen size… ok, but what relevance has 14/30 to do with 15% ??? I just don`t see any connection . Can you PLEASE explain more clearly.

That was last December… Still waiting for a reply.