Can I hang Flood Light cameras upside down?

I just bought a couple of Flood Light cameras but am waiting for them to arrive. I have only ever seen the Flood Light cameras positioned on a wall and never attached under an overhang. I have to hang one under my overhang, that is where the existing spot light is located in the front of the house at the garage.

I saw that the stickup cameras can can be flipped upside down and you can rotate the image in the software. Can the same thing be done with the Flood Light cameras? If not, can I rotate the lights and the camera to work upside down when mounted?

Thanks

Larry

Hi there, @ljoffe! While the Floodlight Camera can be mounted on a ceiling, or under an eave, the image orientation rotation feature is not available for the Floodlight Cam. Instead, the Floodlight Cam features various adjustment positions for the Camera assembly and light arms. This will help you to angle the Floodlight Camera accordingly for motion detection and field of view. While I do not have an image example, feel free to check around the Community for any other neighbors who might have shared their Floodlight Camera mounting scenarios. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to have the cameras delivered by next week so I can get them mounted and confirm what you said. Appreciate the feedback.

Larry

1 Like

I’ve been trying to attach a photo, but can’t seem to do so. Is it possible to do so?

While Marley_Ring’s answer is useful it is not 100% complete. He mentions that “rotation feature” is only available for certain camera models" What I have discovered is that the rotation feature is NOT available for the Floodlight Camera. I really wish it was ! Is there any work being done to make this available? I had to mount the camera on eaves/flashing and due to a door clearance underneath the cam, I was forced to rotate the camera upside down. The video of course comes out upside down on my phone. Why is this available on some cams and not others … isn’t it the same code?? Thanks for any help

1 Like

Hello @Marley_Ring — would you please add to this? Thanks very much

Hi @paul.melcher. We do not advise mounting the Floodlight Cam upside-down because motion is detected from the small bubble on the bottom of the cam. If this is upside down, you will not detect any motion on the ground. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you @Tom_Ring, I appreciate you acknowledging my post. While I clearly understand what you have said here, you did not really answer my questions: From my post above, they were: Is there any work being done to make this available? . Why is this available on some cams and not others … isn’t it the same code?? Orientation should be software, not hardware. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

1 Like

@paul.melcher Aside from the Indoor Camera, the Ring app is unable to rotate video if your Camera is mounted upside down. If the option to do this was supported in the Ring app, the motion detection would still not work properly as the physical orientation of your Camera impacts this as Tom mentioned.

Hello! Need help, please. This didn’t work for me. I’m having the same issue - video is upside down. I have the wired Pro. The video and lights do not have a good range of motion, so I had to install mine I guess upside down (underneath eave). When looking at the installation leaflet that came with the camera/light, it shows the Ring camera upside down, meaning that word “Ring” is at the bottom and upside down, and the motion detector will be on top. It states if mounting to a wall, to rotate the camera with the word “Ring” at the top, and the bubble will be on the bottom. The only way I could mount to get the appropriate rotation was as it showed for eaves, with the camera upside down with the word “Ring” upside down and the bubble on top. So I’m not sure why this doesn’t work - - - the leaflet shows the bubble at top for eaves and the word “Ring” upside down. I have a good view of area with the camera - but it’s upside down. Thanks! NOTE - I should add that the motion sensor is working fine with the camera upside down as shown on the leaflet - but I have to turn my phone upside down to view live and video.

3 Likes

Hi @GwenJ. As Mentioned earlier in this thread, the Floodlight Cam cannot be mounted upside and if it is, there is no way to rotate the video. If there is information stating that this is how it is supposed to be mounted, please take a picture of it and share it here.

1 Like

2 Likes

This situation just happened to me (Amazon purchased BOTH cams wired flood -plus) came with cam mounted upside down from light. Definitely a assembly line flub (x2)

Ring not keeping up with others innovations and ignoring customers suggestions

Installed min floodlight-cam upside down & it senses motion just fine but upside down on cell video

Due to top of exterior door clearance, the camera can not be mounted with bulb facing downward

The interior cans have settings adjustment to turn video upside down to correct this.

So why is it so difficult for Ring to apply same setting to the exterior floodlight- can?

They refuse to get with it snd adjust to the times, while others will step in and be more responsive!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.