Can I connect cam from Chime Pro to WiFi remotely? Chime Pro keeps on dropping devices (WiFi stable)

I’m far away from my Ring network and have connectivity issues with multiple devices on Chime Pro. The Chime Pro itself has a very good WiFi connection.

2 different Ring devices connected to Chime Pro keep on dropping from it. Only rebooting Chime Pro seems to help.

3 other Ring devices connected directly to WiFi (full mesh network) work like a charm.

I’m not on site can’t sent someone on site every day to unplug and plug back in the Chime Pro device.

In the ring app there under “Device Health” there is a button to Change WiFi network. However, it indicates to be near the device to change. I’m worried to start the process and disconnecting the cam completely until I’m physically back on site to troubleshoot. That is not an option currently.

Can the Security Cam and the Door Bell be reconnected from Chime Pro to the WiFi remotely?

Hello @Dirkster ,

Sorry to hear about your issues with your Ring devices. With you ‘not on site’ your options are very limited. But here are some things to consider once you return back.

• "In the ring app there under “Device Health” there is a button to Change WiFi network. However, it indicates to be near the device to change. I’m worried to start the process and disconnecting the cam completely until I’m physically back on site to troubleshoot. That is not an option currently. Can the Security Cam and the Door Bell be reconnected from Chime Pro to the WiFi remotely? "

When you are changing the Wi-Fi network, you need to be there to tap the reset button on the device and use your mobile phone to re-do the setup again. So you’ll need to be there physically and can not change remotely.

• "2 different Ring devices connected to Chime Pro keep on dropping from it. Only rebooting Chime Pro seems to help. "

So to clarify, it sounds like your Chime Pro has not difficulty remaining online, but the 2 Ring devices connected to the Chime Pro are disconnecting from the Chime Pro? The newer version of the Chime Pro (the sleeker version without the external antennas) is capable of connecting to other Ring devices either utilizing 2.4 Ghz Wif-Fi or 5Ghz. Most Ring camera devices only can use 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. There are a few cameras that can also use 5GHz (Video Doorbell Elite, Video Doorbell Pro, Video Doorbell 3 Plus, and the Stick Up Cam Elite). If you have any of these devices connected to your Chime Pro using 5GHz, you may have better luck keeping these devices connected to the Chime Pro by switching to 2.4GHz. Although some people like 5GHz for its speed, that frequency has a shorter range and does not penetrate well through walls and obstructions. 2.4GHz maybe a bit slower, but has greater range and better penetration through walls and obstructions. I don’t know if this is your case, but I wanted to mention it, just in case. I’m not sure, but switching any devices currently connected from 5GHz to 2.4GHz may also require you to be near the device. Just in case you were wondering, you can have your Chime Pro connected to your Internet Wi-Fi router using 5GHz, and still have other Ring devices connected to the Chime Pro using 2.4GHz.

If you have the older version of the Chime Pro (with the two external antennas), this Chime Pro can only utilize 2.4GHz Wi-Fi frequency. Many people like symmetry and tend to have both antennas aligned straight up. Radio waves radiate outward from the antenna from the sides of the antenna rods, with a ‘dead-zone’ at the tip-ends. For example, if you aimed and pointed the tip of a transmitting antenna at a receiver, this would give you the weakest signal. Therefore to eliminate potential ‘dead-zones’ you should arrange your old version Chime Pro antennas in a “V” shape, or set one antenna vertically and the other horizontally, in order to make overlapping radiating signals to minimize any ‘dead-zones’ when your other devices might be located. This may help the signal between your Chime Pro and the devices that keep disconnecting from it.

• “I’m not on site can’t sent someone on site every day to unplug and plug back in the Chime Pro device.”

It’s a rare occurrence, but sometime a Ring device ‘glitches’ (like when there is a city power outage). “Rebooting” the device by unplugging and re-plugging a device does sometimes fixes this ‘glitch.’ Other fellow “Ring Neighbors”, when not physically there to “unplug and re-plugged”, have requested to have the ability to “reconnect/reboot” remotely, through the App. This feature, not currently available, would be useful to you. Although there are several regular forum posts about this, the Feature Request Board forum is where Ring Team look to see what people might want. And the more “Thumbs Up” Kudo votes they see there will better get their attention. You should add your Kudo vote, if you like the requesting author’s idea, to help get the attention of the Ring Teams on the links below (and I’ve probably missed a few others):

Submitted by marlinfan25 :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Reboot-Power-cycle-Cameras-through-Ring-App/idi-p/38697

Submitted by bdaleypsu :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Ability-to-reboot-devices-from-app/idi-p/23717

Submitted by bhwiii :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Reconnect-WiFi-Remotely/idi-p/58974

If your devices continue to disconnect from your Chime Pro, you should telephone Ring Support for help:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

Hopefully you will find my information useful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello again @Dirkster ,

After I wrote my post, my slow brain thought about your comment:

• "I’m far away from my Ring network and have connectivity issues with multiple devices on Chime Pro. The Chime Pro itself has a very good WiFi connection. "

Something else to consider, once you are no longer “Off Site.” The location of the Chime Pro typically is about half the distance between the Ring Devices (the ones connected to your Chime Pro) and your Wi-Fi Internet router. The Chime Pro acts like a bridge between the those devices and the router. Since you Chime Pro “has a very good WiFi connection”, you should consider relocating your Chime Pro a little closer to the two devices that keep disconnecting from the Chime. This might help them maintain their connection, while trading off a little Wi-Fi strength between your Chime and router, as the Chime is relocated a bit farther from its Wi-Fi connection.

Hopefully, there is an existing household outlet in a location that can accommodate this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

WOW! Thank you very much for this detailed answer!!! Helps a lot!!!

It confirms what I suspected. Unfortunately I can’t be on site anytime soon, so no solutiuon as of today.

A remote reboot function for the Chime Pro would be the answer. Since other threads had similar requests, not enough for engineering to implement? Shouldn’t be a very diffcult feature request.

Yes, I’m aware of the 2.4Ghz range benefits. It is actually the old Chime Pro that doesn’t have the 5Ghz option anyway. Furthermore one cam device that keeps on dropping is pretty near the Chime Pro with a good connection.

I have other devices further out, connected to the WiFi that work seamlessly.

It looks like a direct WiFi connection works more stable than the connection to Chime Pro bridge. Will change to direct WiFi connection when I’m on site in the future.

1 Like