Camera setup stuck in loop

Hello,

I just got 2 spotlight cams(battery) and the floodlight cam. I’m stuck at the part of the in-app setup where it tells me to press the button on the top of the cam, then tells me the flashing light means the camera is getting ready to connect with the ring app, then asks me what color the light is on the bottom of the cam(which I assume should still be flashing?), then when I answer what color it is, this all repeats starting with telling me to press the button on top. And this loop repeats endlessly.

I have good wifi, and have tried this within a few feet of a router, have tried it within a few feet of a range extender, within a couple feet of the base station, and have tried it with my cell phone’s smart network switch AND mobile data turned off. The problem is the same on both spotlight cams and on the floodlight. I’m at a complete loss here.

Anyone know what’s going on and a fix for this? Much appreciated.

Hey @pjprice79. It sounds like the device is unable to connect to the Ring AP and/or go into setup mode to connect to said AP. When you press the setup button on either device, is the dome at the bottom flashing when doing so? If the dome is not flashing a white blinking light at all, please try resetting the device by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds. Please note that when doing this setup process and connecting to the Ring AP, you must be near the device with your phone (as close as you possibly can for a faster connection), as your phone is trying to connect to the network it is broadcasting. I recommend trying another phone for setup as well, as bluetooth restrictions on some phones may prevent the connection from happening as well. Let me know how this goes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much! That worked. I had to borrow someone else’s phone, which is kind of annoying but that sounds like something with my own phone and not with Ring.

1 Like

@pjprice79 So glad that worked for you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the exact same issue. I have tried everything including using an Android and iOS device, connecting to two different routers and three different wifi networks, rebooting the routers, restarting the phones, hard reset to the camera, standing next to the router, standing next to the Ring AP. Nothing works.

The setup goes well, I connect to the camera network, connect to the home wifi, get a solid white light for a bit, get a flashing green light for 5 seconds, then the light turns off while the app still says connecting to network. When the app finally asks what color is at the bottom of the camera, the light is off. I answer green and we start all over.

So frustrating!

I am having the same issues right now trying to setup my spotlight cam. Exact same thing as what you mentioned. Setup is able to connect to wifi, but when asking for which color light is on the dome (red blue green white) the spotlight cam is no longer blinking/lit.

Reset router, reset spotlight, restarted phone. This is indeed frustrating

Hi neighbors! If your Spotlight Cam is not completing the setup process or is not finishing a firmware update, please try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Attempt the setup process on a different smartphone or tablet if you have access to one. You can find more tips for failed setups in our Help Center Article here as well.
  • If you have a Spotlight Cam Battery, ensure the battery has been fully charged using the provided charging cable before attempting the setup process. It may take about 8 hours to fully charge the battery.
  • Reset your Camera by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After the reset is done, attempt to set your Camera up in the Ring app using the steps under Set Up a Device.
  • If you have a dual-band router, try creating a separate guest network that is only 2.4GHz and try connecting your Spotlight Cam to this network.

If this concern persists after trying these steps, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here so they can assist with more in-depth troubleshooting support. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

Hi there, do you managebto fix this issue? I have this issue as well, 100 percent identical with your issue.

Thanks