Camera not detecting motion

I just installed 2 cameras outside. They do not seem to pick up all motion. For example, it did not notify me when the UPS driver dropped off a package my front door. These are my zones.

@greysonaaron wrote:
I just installed 2 cameras outside. They do not seem to pick up all motion. For example, it did not notify me when the UPS driver dropped off a package my front door. These are my zones.

You didn’t specify which Ring model outside cameras that you have (Stick-up, or Flood light, or Battery powered, or Wired plug-in powered, or 1st/2nd Generation, etc.) so it’s a little difficult to give you specific guidance. Each cam (depending on the model/power-supply/generation) sometimes have similar, but can have different setting-options. Your attached screen-shot is where (zone) your camera looks for motion. It does not determine when it detects motion. So in generalities, you can (if your camera have these options):

-Check the “Device Settings” to ensure both “Record Motion” and “Motion Alerts” are both toggled ON. If “Record Motion” is already toggled ON and the UPS driver was recorded (view “History” or “Event History”) but you did not receive a pushed Notification to your phone, then toggle on “Motion Alerts.”

-Adjust “Motion Settings” to Deselect “People Only Mode” nor “Motion Verification” (options depending on the type of cam). While these are toggled ON, it can screen out non-people motion, such as animals or tree movement, etc. and miss some motion-events. Also, while in “People Only Mode”, algorithms are used to determine if it is a human-motion by looking at both body-heat coupled with movement . . . and with hot summer daytime temperatures, these algorithms can have difficulty detecting body-heat movement against low-contrasting hot-backgrounds).

-Adjust “Motion Settings” to set MAX on Motion Sensitivity" (with “People Only Mode” toggled off). You will pick up more motion since it is not screening for people only. With “People Only Mode” toggled ON, you will not be able to adjust “Motion Sensitivity.”

-Adjust “Motion Frequency” (an option with battery powered cams) and select “Frequent” which should capture more motions but can decrease battery life. Settings of “Standard” or “Light” will decrease the amount of motion that is captured, to extend battery life.

-Adjust where you aim the cameras to optimize motion-detection. Avoid pointing cameras where other hot heat sources are in the activated detection areas.

-If you are attempting to test to see if you get another Notification by walking in front of the camera, Wait after getting the initial Notification because a built-in reset-time prevents multiple notifications pushed to your phone. Allow sufficient time to pass before testing the motion-detection again.

-Check each “Mode Settings” of “Cameras” to ensure your cam behavior in each mode is not disabled.

Hopefully I covered a setting option (depending on your model/power-supply) that can increase your motion-detection. I hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

2 Likes