Camera Stopped Catching Large Motions, But Only Some

I was really happy with my Ring. We have a lot of issues of people wandering in our alley that have sabotaged our car, leaving garbage, and stealing things. And installing the Ring has let me know more about what was happening and when, and maybe even scared away some of the perpetrators.

But maybe around a week or two ago it stopped capturing large events. Like a garbage truck driving by. Or people walking past our backyard. And the live feed stopped working altogether. It just says “Activating Device” and never actually activates.

While it’s still helpful, these issues really undermine its usefulness. Is there a known issue for this? Maybe a way to update the software to fix it?

Hi @josephus. For any concerns with the Live View not working properly, I’d suggest starting with our Community Post on common causes and solutions. As for any concerns with motion detection, these can usually be solved with adjustments to the settings and positioning. Which model of Ring Camera do you have? I can point you in the right direction once I know which type of Camera you have. :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for responding. I have a Ring Spotlight Cam Battery HD Security Camera. Not sure the model number.

The Live setting was working for a few weeks. It just suddenly stopped. So I’m a little skeptical that adjusting the settings would work. It almost seemed like there was a software change that stopped it from working. Maybe a way to do a software update?

This is an issue that has many of us frustrated and furious since a firmware/software update about a month ago. Unfortunately, Ring has done nothing to resolved this issue even though many of us have repeatedly asked/complained.

Case in point: I pulled out of my garage this morning to go to work, directly underneath my Spotlight Cam and the history shows NO car leaving the garage or driveway. Trust me, I don’t have a stealth vehicle. wtf, Ring???

A thread to look at is:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Spotlight-Cam-Motion-Detection/td-p/56096

Many of us are expressing the same unhappiness with no results. If you find an answer, please let all of us know.

1 Like

@josephus If the Live View isn’t working properly, the Community Post I linked contains possible causes as to why it may not be working as well as some steps you can try to resolve it. As no technology is perfect, occasional troubleshooting may be necessary to get everything working as expected. If you’d prefer, you can also give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think they must have updated some software because everything is back to working properly now. Live mode, actually picking up all movement. I’m even getting all of the notifications! Something else that had been wonky for some time. Thanks to the folks in this thread.

1 Like