Cam Battery Door Open

Very cheaply made. I found this thread because my Spotlight just started showing this message and I’ve had it for over a year and only closed it once to put in two batteries. That’s it. It has never been open but it’s showing this error now even though it’s still transmitting images and has a high RSSI. Not buying any other Ring stuff. That’s for sure. Might need to switch to a real security system.

1 Like

It’s the software and not the cam. I have two spotlight cams and I’m getting the error message all of the sudden for both of them.

3 Likes

There’s an outage affecting Ring services and I believe it is causing the message to show up. One of my cameras showed the same alert a short time ago when I tried to look at its status. Must be a bug in the app that doesn’t handle issues with connection to the ring.com servers very well.

Same issue here. Battery door is shut tight but this error message coming up. Must be buggy software.

Yeah. This just happened to me aswell. Two cams that has been going for several years. Now all of a sudden apparently both battery doors has opened by themselves, at the same time! ? Happened today.

Yes, me too. I have 5 outdoor cams and they all started saying today that the battery door is open. RING please fix the software!

They are working on it https://status.ring.com/

1 Like

Ours just started giving us the same error message today too. We’ve checked and done everything it says to do - and error message the same.

I am so pleased someone has confirmed this is a software issue and not my camera. I find it really tricky to close the hatch and because of where it is and having to fiddle and push it often moves so then I have to spend ages repositioning the camera for the best view. Fingers crossed the issue is resolved soon.

Mind just did it this morning. It was very strange as I monitor the battery (dual batteries) and usually replacement them both monthly. Then all of a sudden both batteries on the app show dead (and ring battery door open error). I R&R the camera probably 20 times with no improvement. For a moment there I though someone had taken the camera, but that is about 20 feet up so definitely a low probability. I am currently on the phone with Ring, but it has been about 10 minutes so not sure if I will actually get a live person. I just want to confirm that it is actually a software issue:(

I forgot to mention that I have a dedicated 1GB Modem and an EA9500 5 feet away from the camera (currently running 662mbps-down/19up/10ping so it is not a connection issue).

Hi,

Mine shuts fine, has solar panel, two batteries… But the software is reporting open door!?

I made sure it was shut and neatly duct taped both the door and the solar charger port… Still reports as open?

Has to be a loose connection in the cold, now it’s November? Even when the door is shut, reports as open in the software.

RSSI is fine, it’s a Ubiquiti mesh network, runs a network of ring cams around my small 30 townhouse HOA… So it’s not a wifi issue either.

Apparently, I have a different issue than most of you. My battery door will not stay shut. It continuously pops open, no matter how much I try to get it to close. I did finally tape it shut but it’s a pain to go through this every time I need to charge the batteries. Because of the mount I have, which extends the mount arm, I can’t use the solar power.
I really think the latch is a defective design and should be replaced.

2 Likes

I am geting the same message both my cameras. Now that I see that other people are getting the same message, I don’t feel so bad. I just hope they fix it soon.

1 Like

I just noticed this same error message today. Reports I have this issue with multiple cameras. None of these battery doors have been opened in months. The camera is working, but I do notice that the battery icons in the app alternate between grey and green. Like the sensor is losing contact intermittent. I don’t know how to fix this short of getting a new camera, which is not a solution I would choose.

ok, i think the issue has been fixed for me at least. Anyone else see improvement?

1 Like

Mine is still giving erros

My error resolved, so the battey door (that is now duct-taped shut) is correctly reading the battery and door status…

However, it seems clear the OP of this thread - is having a mechanical issue with actual latch itself - which mine are OK - but I can see there being an issue with the latch design.

So - two distinct issues 1.) mechanical latch design, not staying shut in some conditions 2.) latch not properly reading shut - in the software control center / Ring app - even duct taped shut as in my case.

1 Like

Hey neighbors! At this time, if your Spotlight Camera will not report the battery hatch as closed, please attempt the following:

• Ensure there is no debris in the battery hatch and that the hatch is closed fully. It will make a clicking sound once lock and closed fully.
  • Press and hold the setup button on the Camera for 20 seconds to reset the device, then reconnect your Ring device.

If the above steps do not result in successful setup or operation of showing the battery hatch closed as after, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here . If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

The only way is use one battery. The problem is the firware bug for the batteries slots. No simple reset solve the issue.

Only try to use one battery.

I’m a Chartered Mechanical Engineer and the main issue is a flimsy design of the plastic latch and catch. It’s simply a poor design and does not mechanical lock - not without a battle.

Know several people with exact same problem. No amount of firmware updates / software updates etc will fix a MECHANICAL flimsy design.

All affected units should be recalled in my opinion as their not fit for purpose.

1 Like