Black video recorded

I am having issues with my spotlight camera not recording video under certain circumstances.

If I set the fancy customisable motion zones (where you moved the dots around to make up to three motion zones) the camera just records a black screen. It triggers motion fine and you get a split second snippet of what the camera should show, but then just shows a black screen for the duration of the clip.

When I turn off this fancy motion zone setting and go back to the original motion zones (left, right and centre - use the slider to work out distance etc) the camera records a clip fine.

I guess this is an issue with the app but any suggestions or work arounds? I I like the custom motion zones and would like to be able to use them once this bug is fixed!

I have read similar on here about upload speeds being to blame but my interest is good, WiFi is strong, and this literally happens minutes after changing the motions settings.

This doesn’t affect my ring doorbell, on the spotlight camera…

Hi @tomandbecks. For this concern, I would suggest resetting your Camera and performing a new setup on it in the Ring App. To reset it, you’ll need to hold down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. Once that’s done, follow the steps under Set Up a Device to get it set back up in the Ring App. Trigger some test events with both types of Motion Zones enabled to see if it is recording properly.

If it still records a black video with the Customizable Motion Zones after trying these steps, can you please share a video example of it here? When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply. Alternatively, if the video is saved in the Event History in your Ring App, you can choose to share it via email and copy the link that is generated.