Battery Door Open Error Message

Hey neighbors! At this time, if your Spotlight Camera will not report the battery hatch as closed, please attempt the following:

• Ensure there is no debris in the battery hatch and that the hatch is closed fully. It will make a clicking sound once lock and closed fully.
  • Press and hold the setup button on the Camera for 20 seconds to reset the device, then reconnect your Ring device.

If the above steps do not result in successful setup or operation of showing the battery hatch closed as after, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here . If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the summary of steps to follow.

Unfortunately the message keeps returning in my app.

I will contact local support in the Netherlands.

Regards, Emilio

1 Like

Make sure the batteries are charged. A dead battery will activate the door open alarm.

Just bought this camera today. And same here. No clue how to resolve this. Thinking of returning the camera back. Not happy at all

1 Like

Hi, i had this also and many other issues. Ring has a major outage…

Hi, Ring has a major outage…??

1 Like

Hi neighbors. Ring was experiencing an outage that may be the cause of your concern. Please note that the issues within the app and the website would have been affecting this feature, but as of Nov 27, 11:44 UTC, a fix has been implemented and we are monitoring the results. If you are still experiencing any further issues with your Ring devices and how they were behaving previously, I recommend giving our support team a call so they can look into this further. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

I did call tech support because one of the battery does not go to a 100% even with a usb charger, his answer was to wait until the winter is over…I’m trying, without success so far to get help from ring with our solar panel which has stopped charging the battery since november 26Th 2020…This is frustrating.

There is no fix to this . The cameras eventually get this error and it’s over . They will try and say it’s something you are doing wrong. But it’s not . There is so many issues with them ……if they own up to the issue they would have to replace, refund or recall them .
And we know that’s not going to happen.
I have had Ring doorbell for few years never any issues but this camera they should recall .
Or at least send let us send in the useless one and get the next camera up from this one .

1 Like

So I just purchased this unit, I installed the app . But I started receiving the battery door open error message.
I followed your steps and I’m still receiving the error message . I’m only running one battery because I have the solar panel constantly charging it. What is the estimated time frame to fix this as its not a cheap piece of equipment and shouldn’t be doing this brand new out if the box

2 Likes

Hi there, @Azzrx! This concern should be resolvable through the steps mentioned above;

After resetting the Camera, please reconnect your Ring device by following these steps. In addition to the above suggestions, if you are using two batteries, please ensure they are both fully inserted into the hatch.

After completing these steps, the Camera should at least be responsive with lights in setup mode, reconnect, and operate as intended. If it does not, our support team will be able to assist with more advanced solutions or a further look into your concern. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recently bought 2 spotlight cams. One is working well up till now but the other has permanently the “battery door is open” error, despite that I’ve checked the door, that I have even put the screw, and that I’ve followed the “steps” in reconnecting the cam changing/resetting the wifi access… everything without success as the error returns and you cannot delete it from the app.

I’ve have no read any clear “root cause” or explanation about the door trap mechanism in order to try to fix it. I have the impression that the only solution provided is to try to close “well” the trap or to “restart” the cam changing the wifi having the fingers crossed. I’ve will make another try (I have to dismount the cam, etc.) and if the error remains I will then call the support.

Regards

The error is back again…

Trying to call the support but I got a phone message in my EU country that “they are not open in such hours”…

Hello,
Seems like this is a firmware issue with this camera. I just installed a brand new one yesterday and started getting the battery door open message in the ring app this morning and nothing was touched or changed on the camera. Tried all the things mentioned in this thread, but still get the error message.

Is this still common, or are there a few devices out there still being sold that are defective?

1 Like

Just bought the camera- same issue- did all the things they said to do- but did not wait 3 hours on hold to talk to a tech…. This is not operator error- this topic has been viewed over 11900 times- this is a RING issue. Thanks for wasting my time doing all these reset steps when you obviously know it is your issue.

2 Likes

Maybe I should rephrase my question above.

Is anyone from the ring community support aware of whether ring is working on fixing this issue?

If not, should those of us who bought this product just give up and return it? The rest of the equipment I bought from ring seems to work so far, but the fact that Ring doesn’t seem willing to own up to the problem or is not providing better communication about it doesn’t give me much confidence in my choice to buy from Ring.

3 Likes

Wow, so I am not alone! This is so annoying, I have done everything suggested and still have the battery door open (It’s Not). I find it hard to believe that Ring has done nothing about this with so many with the issue! Hey Ring, I’m not sitting on the phone for hours for you to tell me to do what is already posted here! Fix the issue!

2 Likes

I just got the camera, set it up and since then the error has been popping up.
It’s definitely closed, it’s absolutely closed properly.

1 Like

Yep, same error. Brand new cam, firmware updated automatically , but nothing seems to fix it.

1 Like

Same error for me…tried everything on the thread multiple times.

1 Like