Bandwidth Concerns

I work from home and my job requires me to have 1-3 video conferences a day. Since setting up the Ring Indoor Camera my video calls are a suffering. If I unplug the camera my video calls are fine.

Can someone point me to where I should begin troubleshooting are there Ring settings or network settings that I can change to optimize the bandwidth usage. I would think that bandwidth would only be an issue when motion is detected. The camera picks up motion about every 20-30 minutes

There are settings in your router that you can prioritize connections. Like QoS.
Quality of Service (QoS) is a feature of routers and switches which prioritizes traffic so that more important traffic can pass first. The result is a performance improvement for critical network traffic. QoS equipment is useful with VoIP phones or in LANs with high volumes of local traffic. Some routers have other features as well. Hope this helps

1 Like

I know this is a bit late on this, but could be useful for anyone else with an issue. QOS may only be a part of the issue. The other possible issue may be your upload bandwidth. Most internet providers favor the download side and it will be higher. Many DSL connections will be something like 20 Mb down/1 Mb up and also true for cable, and other mediums. If you do not have enough upload bandwidth all traffic can be degraded. Fiber usually is better, but it is possible. Mine is the same both up and down.

Since you mention videoconferencing (I work from home office as well) it would be worth checking into as what might be happening is that the Ring or other devices, Ring may just be the largest contributor, can quickly max that bandwidth and degrade your video upload stream. Check with your provider and you can get a different plan with more upload bandwidth, the catch may be that it will likely cost more.

1 Like

I am having a similar problem and I have narrowed it down that may Draytek router seems to think that the doorbell is a VoIP call. - In a way I agree it could be seen as that but I would like to priortise a few things over the door bell like a real voip call for example.

I have a indoor cam at a remote house that I only want motion control and to check in every few weeks just to make sure things are ok.

The only internet access is via a MIFI.

The service plan I have is 500MB of service.

The problem that I have is that it burns through all that data in about 10 days.

I have turned off everything that I can to reduce the data.

Motion alerts requires the Record motion to be turned on which seems to take snapshots every 60 seconds even through I have snapshots turned off.

Has anyone cracked the code?

@Jefft - we definitely don’t encourage long term use on hotspots. Our devices aren’t really designed to support that. Unfortunately, I do not have any tips for you but other neighbors may chime in.

So what are the device settings that would help decrease bandwidth useage?

1 Like

The issue here is due to upload bandwidth limitations. Ring recommends at least 2 Mbps upload bandwidth per camera. If you are like me with DSL (copper wires and not fiber optics) I’m limited to a 12 Mbps download data and 1.0 Mbps upload acknowledgement (ACK).

Your download packets are in the order of up to 1500 bytes and upload packets in the order of 25 bytes of ACK which are the other members of your video conference. Meanwhile your camera is uploading 1500 byte video/voice packets and downloading 256 bytes of ACK. Your upload bandwidth of 1 Mbps is choking on data collisions causing packets to be resent.

What do I need to enable to use QoS on my Asus router? I have very high-speed Internet, so that is not an issue. I have the highest bandwidth devices on coax to reduce wifi usage. I want to prioritize Ring traffic, but I’m not sure how to identify it.