Are notifications rate limited?

Hi everyone,

We have 3x Stick Up Cam Battery plus a Video Doorbell.

Scenario:

Set Away mode. Walk past each camera.

Expected behaviour:

As motion is detected on each camera, fire notification on every motion event.

Actual Behaviour:

One notification is fired for each camera until toggle to Home, then Away.

I understand not wanting to be spammed, but I need to know if this rate limiting is also time based, or if a manual toggle of Home/Away i required to start getting the next notification.

Hey @498n. It seems like you may be running into a Motion Frequency concern. By default, all devices are set to standard, which could cause a pause in between events if the events are happening back to back. I recommend changing your Motion Frequency on all devices to Frequent and then you should not see this error. You can learn more about this in our Help Center Article here. Since you switched from Home to Away, this reset the snooze time, allowing another notification to come through. Let me know if changing it to Frequent works for you here! :slight_smile:

Thanks Chelsea.

I’m not sure that’s the case here. The motion events are being captured and logged, it’s just not firing off notifications.

On the note of detection frequency though, what are the intervals set at for each level?

@498n For sure, I totally get what you mean! For the intervals and what the snooze is like for each, I’ll detail this below for you:

• Light: After the first motion event, the camera will snooze for 2 minutes. After that, another motion event will trigger the camera, and it will snooze for 10 minutes after this. Lastly, another motion event will trigger the camera, and it will snooze for 30 minutes before repeating this cycle over with 2, 10 and then 30 minutes.
  • Standard: After the first motion event, the camera will snooze for 1 minute. After that, another motion event will trigger the camera, and it will snooze for 5 minutes after this. Lastly, another motion event will trigger the camera, and it will snooze for 15 minutes before repeating this cycle over with 1, 5, 15 minute(s).
  • Frequent: There is no snooze and all motion events should be recorded. Therefore, anything happening “back-to-back” or ongoing motion events in front of the device should continue to pick up after the standard recording time. This may result in lots of events.

Hope this helps clear it up for you in detail. :slight_smile:

Excellent info, thank you!

So, in addition to these events being logged according to those parameters, we should receive a push notification for each one?

Hey @498n, happy to chime in for Chelsea here. Correct, you’ll receive a push notification for each motion event that is detected and recorded based on your Motion Frequency settings. If you find that notifications are not coming through, you’ll want to ensure the permissions are fully enabled in your phone’s settings and that Do Not Disturb is not on if you’re on iOS. :slight_smile: