RTSP protocol for Ring devices?

Also voted

1 Like

one year later - still no news about RTSP even for subscribers. I’m so extremely dissapointed over Ring’s lack of attention to the smart home community.
If I could only sell my Video Doorbell 2. Now it’s just an expensive book case.

1 Like

What did ya get? I’ve been eye balling an amcrest doorbell. The doorbell needs juice and I haven’t run an electrical lead. So many projects and so little time :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Doorbell-Weatherproof-Wide-Angle-AD110/dp/B07ZJS3L5Y/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=LELNL8PFRUY2&dchild=1&keywords=amcrest+doorbell+camera&qid=1600557576&sprefix=amcres%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNU8xVUVJSURJU01NJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODI4MjE5Q1o5UzA2UFNVQlBBJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5NDQ1MzgzRkVZSjFKOUVLTUU5JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Please add RTSP or ONVIF.

$100 for a competing product from Armcrest which offers RTSP is crazy.

1 Like

+1 RTSP support would be nice

1 Like

Where is this firmware to get the RTSP stream? Asking for a friend :-).

1 Like

I would also like to see RTSP added. Is there a way to submit and vote on feature requests?

1 Like

Hi @PTejada. Yes! We have a Feature Request Board where you can vote on ideas you like and share your own. :smiley:

Hi everyone,

I have been waiting for ring to bring out promised HomeKit support for years and hoped they would of at least allowed RTSP streams by now.

Ring are prioritising on the wrong areas and barely even consider anyone outside of the US

Instead I am now in the process of switching out my Ring cameras for Unifi cameras. They are slightly more expensive but so worth it!

2 Likes

I am also interested in a more open system which can be integrated with blue Iris. My vote you’ll get, just need to know where I need to put it

1 Like

Another vote here for rtsp feed for subscribers.

1 Like

Another Vote. I have three floodlight cams and BlueIris integration would be ideal.

2 Likes

I get you want to keep your subscription extortion going, so just give the ability to access the RTSP streams to subscribers.

Simples.

3 Likes

Ring really missed an opportunity here, I would be happy paying for the ring protect plan for an RTSP stream

The biggest joke is that the cameras cut off after a maximum of two minutes even if there is still motion around meaning I miss certain events. Also if anyone cuts external internet cables from outside your house you’re still in trouble

I’ve managed to sell two of my ring cameras, only two more to go and then I can replace them with UniFi! At least I’ll get home assistant support

p.s Ring promised homekit support about 3 years ago, so even if they promise to bring RTSP it could be in 10 years :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been a Ring user for a couple of years now and I’ve been monitoring this thread and other similar threads all that time in hope with great interest . I too was suckered in by the flashy hardware whilst not being aware of the ridiculous shortcomings of their software. I was in disbelief when I realised the equipment I’d just purchased for a considerable sum that cost in some cases 4 times as much as the next viable alternative, didn’t include such basic features as RTSP and many other features that come as standard in cameras retailed at a fraction of the cost. Local storage for example.

Given the vast resources of Ring/Amazon, generated in part by the massively inflated cost of the Ring hardware I can only conclude that their resistance to implement RTSP is due solely to the fact they want to keep their users shackled once they have fallen for the initial hardware trap to their costly subscription service.

I could possibly swallow their subscription fee and lack of RTSP if their system/architecture functioned adequately, but as I, and it seems many others have found it simply doesn’t.

Opening up a stream to a camera using the RTSP protocol on your network is almost instant, while trying to view a Ring camera can take 10-15 seconds (on a good day), most times much longer if at all. Often when you have been alerted to a motion whatever triggered it has long gone by the time you can actually view the stream. And if you’re unwilling to cough up for their subscription you’ll never know what triggered it. Even if you do pay their hefty monthly fee, I found due to the shortcomings of their architecture relying on the internet by the time they had connected to the stream and started recording the motion had long since passed too. Leading to videos that were for the most part just a black screen for the majority of the start, missing the motion.

Also the fact that all your Ring devices are basically boat anchors without an internet connection beggars belief. As many have suggested here that scenario is exactly when you would want a fully functioning security system.

The doorbell suffers from the same shortcomings as their cameras due to their nonsensical architecture. Given the typical Ring lag by the time a person has rang the doorbell, the alert has been sent and you finally manage to open a stream to the doorbell camera, 30-45 seconds has passed. Meaning in most instances the person who rang the doorbell has long since gone. Parcel delivery drivers in particular are on a tight deadline and don’t generally hang around longer than 30 seconds due to their workload. I’ve found they no longer ring the doorbell. I suspect from experience they know they will be hanging around for almost a minute waiting for someone to answer a Ring doorbell and even then there’s no guarantee.

But my biggest issue with Ring is the lack of RTSP or another similar protocol meaning you are unable to record around the clock to a DVR on your own network, regardless of whether you have an internet connection or not. Functionality you would find on the majority of other (much cheaper) CCTV equipment on the market. This shortcoming was brought home recently when an elderly neighbour suffered a home invasion and was threatened at knife point. As I do not have a Ring subscription and I have no motion zone set in that area anyway due to a road being in shot the Ring ‘CCTV’ cameras where completely ineffectual, and I was unable to offer the police any footage that could help apprehend the burglars. Despite the fact one of my Ring cameras was pointed directly down the lane and would have seen their faces for 15 seconds as they walked directly up to my neighbours property. Had I had a budget system installed I would have had the footage stored securely locally on my property and would have been able to provide it. As it is. Nothing.

I explained all this to the police officer who knocked on the door asking for footage. His response to my explanation of all my Ring devices shortcomings “Well what good are they then?”. That was a lightbulb moment. I’m now in the process of replacing all my Ring hardware with something that will support RTSP and can record securely without the need of an internet connection or a subscription.

Thankfully given the massively inflated cost of Ring hardware, the fact there are still many people out their yet to be suckered by Ring’s flashy hardware and advertising campaign and comparable hardware with more functionality being available for a fraction of the price I will likely be able to do this for free once I have sold all my Ring equipment on eBay.

As others have suggested I too now actively go out of my way to deter people from buying Ring products, which is almost always met by a “wow I’m glad you told me before I bought it!” once I’ve explained all Rings problems.

If anyone from Ring ever reads this, (which I suspect is unlikely given the years this thread has been active and their lack of engagement). Taking your customers for granted and relying on this strategy of suckering people in with flashy adverts and hardware will only be successful for so long. People are starting to wake up and make others aware of your tactics and failings. Every one customer trapped will generally be warning several if not more away from your products/services. This model is unsustainable. I wonder if you will wake up to this fact before it is too late?

2 Likes

I fell into the same trap. A friend gave me 1 stick-up insisting it was the best thing since sliced bread. I was so impressed with how quick and easy it was to setup (ring software only) and the hardware was almost as slick as their marketing so I went out and spent $750 on 3 more stick-ups, a doorbell and a spotlight that only functions with Ring’s own software that has no imagine display settings like imagine leveling, imagine flipping, any type of filters and worst of all there’s no opt to save to a local drive meaning my security video must be broadcast across the internet before I can view it. Only now that I’ve had week with the system I realize they’re all just a 1080 web cam in a plastic tube that doesn’t work without paying an annual fee. Also it’s awfully disappointing that I can only use the over priced cams with rings own software and the files must go to ring servers before they come back to any viewing device.
It’s my fault for not researching the product more thoroughly before purchasing but I really expected Ring hardware to operate like IP cams that are WiFi and/or Ethernet that stay on my home network without internet connection if I don’t want to broadcast to anyone else’s servers, then if I want to review the video away from home I can just use my remote desktop. Hindsight is 20/20 but I really wish I’d gotten a dozen foscams for half the price and work the way they should w/o annual fees to keep my hardware operational

1 Like

@Chelsea_Ring @Tom_Ring any updates on this ??? If there is no future for this feature being implemented very soon I think we have the right to know.

1 Like

I say we really need access to RTSP stream for all ring cameras!!

1 Like

When I bought my 3 Ring cameras I was also expecting to buy top of the notch hardware that gives me new possibilities in my smarthome.

But now that I realize I will never get a live stream I can work with, I also cosider selling all my Ring equipment.

Very sad, because in gerneral I really like the app and so on…

1 Like

I’m also waiting on this feature. So, you buy a device, and you have no local access to it. Do I really own it @Chelsea_Ring ? Please let us know if and when any sort of local stream will be ready for us.

1 Like