False advertisement - ring doorbell and google home integration

A ring representative needs to provide an adequate explanation as to why there are STILL advertisments on the internet showing that Ring is compatible with Google Home. It’s clear that this is a consumer affairs issue and neither Google or Ring have offered any of their customers a proper explanation. Please dont mark this message as complete until Ring and Google have a conversation and work together to find a fix for this issue. Two of the biggest tech companies in the WORLD cannot work together to deliver their customers what was promised and advertised? So many customers purchased devices based on the advertisments that the two devices/apps were compatible. Google and Ring need to collaborate to formulate an official response addressing this issue.

If no adequate response is received, my next step is to lodge an official complaint with consumer affairs. I will also be launching a campaign on social media to obtain signatures from unhappy customers who have been affected by this.

49 Likes

Do you have a link showing this? I’ve never seen it here in years. It was supported at one time but no longer. My guess is for the same reason as YouTube wasn’t allowed on fire TV. And Amazon wasn’t allowed to use Chromecast. But they’ve finally agreed to let everything work together again. I’d like to see Google work with Ring as well. But I’m interested to see them advertising that it works with Ring now…

4 Likes

google home is one of the availble devices. Able to link to google account. Still no visible in google home.

4 Likes

I just purchased the Google Nest Max for my wife and the main purpose was to display the Ring Doorbell cam. If this is not an Option I will have to purchase the Nest cam…

4 Likes

As of now, it cannot connect with Google in any way at all.

5 Likes

Hey neighbors! As shared by other neighbors in the Community, the extent of Google home and Ring abilities that we know of are as follows:

• Recent Activity: Will tell you when the last even was, and what type of event.
  • Device Health: Will tell you the battery percentage of your devices, if applicable.
  • Record Clip: Will trigger your Ring device to begin a recording (video will not display anywhere other than the Ring application).

We appreciate your feedback and have shared it with our team. Feel free to send us any feature requests in our Feature Request thread.

4 Likes

Yeah, only, it doesn’t.

I’m unable to connect whatever ring product to google, because rin gis simply not in the list of available devices.

2 Likes

This is not what we are looking for. You know this by reading all of the above listed comments. We would like to “add a device” the ring to our Google hub account inorder to view the doorbell area.

4 Likes

Please review the ring reviews from Android market place and see where you are failing your customers

3 Likes

Hi. I recently purchased a ring floodlight and overall enjoy the product and think it is good value. The lack of google home integration is a deal breaker for me unfortunately. I wish to purchase more cameras but simply will not do so untill integration with google infrastructure is improved. I will give Ring until mid 2020 to sort this out otherwise I will sell and move over to Nest. I suspect I am not the only person in this situation.

I realise that ring is amazon owned which may create an issue with developing for google home but if that is the case they should let their customers know that integration will remain highly limited.

10 Likes

@Rhodes wrote:

I just purchased the Google Nest Max for my wife and the main purpose was to display the Ring Doorbell cam. If this is not an Option I will have to purchase the Nest cam…

You could also return it and get an Echo Show 5 or Echo Show 8… As with HomeKit, doubt this will happen anytime soon…

1 Like

Few years ago Ring was promoted with API access coning soon. Now is not possible to integrate this crap to any smarthome. Thats a shame for a so called smarthome doorbell.
It is not even possible to get the live image of the Amazon Ring Doorbell on an Amazon firetv - this product sucks at the moment. Custoners are missing the most basic smarthome features. And Amazon Ring product Management doesnt care.

4 Likes

No it doesn’t work. I have tried multiple times to use it. I say “talk to ring”… it does… I give it one of the option commands and then says ring isn’t available.

Tried many different times

4 Likes

Yup it sucks. The wording of the adveritising is VERY VERY close to false adveritising but I dont believe it is false. I was upset that I couldnt view the ring from my Home Hub, but I can technically “Access my Device” from it. The access is SUPER limited but, sure, I can access it. If I knew this, I would have purchased a nest.

I will not be purchasing another Ring device ever again.

3 Likes

Only way to get decent all around integration is to AVOID Ring altogether. There are several companies that make devices that do or can be made to function I’m nearly identical fashion to EVERY device and feature Ring has. You can even mix and match, using any of the open or common standards, like Zigbee or Z-Wave+. Further, you can do it without worrying about who at Amazon may be spying or peeping in on you and loved ones. When Ring’s own engineers started publicly denouncing the service, one going as far as saying it should be totally mothballed for good, you know nothing good is going to come of things. Amazon hasn’t even integrated Blink, another Amazon owned brand with Ring & I for one thought Blink superior, better refinement of motion zones, faster video upon receipt of notification, and less conspicuous. No, get yourself a USB SSD or HDD and ZW+ cameras or CCTV with ZW base and you don’t have to worry, or pay for storage that may or may not be secure. You also will have choices, on sensors and everything else. Even if there is something that isn’t 100% compatible itself, you can use Wink, Smartthings and a half dozen plus other hubs along with SC to add function to external devices like Echo Plus or Google Home via custom scenes and routines that actually work. Amazon, Google & Apple all talk about common device language, but they only really mean that for third party devices. They don’t want consumers to have options, that would drive down profit for Google and for Amazon, who maybe makes less on Ring vs Nest, they want to make it up by monitoring and selling you replacement AA batteries as you churn through them with 50 daily false notifications.

3 Likes

How can you say they work together when Ring isn’t an option in the list to add a device under Google Home?

3 Likes

I just replaced my entire system with a full nest setup and couldn’t be happier. Constant recordings. Alert on people not cats and car lights at night. Everything about it is just better. I was a ring customer for years but no longer.

1 Like

s very frustrating. I understand that companies producing hardware and software may be competition in some regards, but in 2020 its time to progress guys. Lets get Google and Amozon on the same page…

1 Like

Just bought it and going to return. I have Google home hub and Nest door bell but my side door is hard to wired so decided to go with the battery option on Ring 2 door bell since Nest door bell does not offer the battery version. Hoping it is SMART enough to integrate with the other smart home device but really disappointed. I don’t know what they are thinking just because Google is their competitor, so decided to drop all the support on Google home? Well…they gonna lose the new customer who willing to pay extra on record the cloud camera which is the long term income than paying to buy the echo show device.

Yes, I aggree. I just Googled how to set up Ring with Google Home. It says you can do it, but It is not possible. Google and Ring should work together and come up with a solution.