Dome Siren no louder then an a alarm clock

Super disappointed in the Dome Siren. To call this a siren is laughable. I bought this hoping to have a loud alarm upstairs where we are sleeping so that it would wake anyone asleep. There is no hope of that. I like to sleep with a fan on and the bedroom door closed. There is no chance that this would wake me from out in the hall. It’s funny that in the ring test instructions that it’s “loud and your neighbors may hear it” … not a chance. There needs to be a better solution for extending the alarm.

So, I’m thinking about hacking a $30 Ring Dome Siren with a relay that when activated will either/and trigger a SmartThings contact to set off the SmartThings alarm or pass power to a mains very loud siren horn. The most economical way would be to use a relay to trigger a SmartThings contact to set off the SmartThings alarm which has multiple different kinds of sirens and horns.

Completely agree – my situation is the same. I’m wondering if Ring could also use the chimes I have for my doorbell and cameras as augmented sirens? Essentially have selected chimes go off during an alarm situation too.

I know this post is old, but wanted to mention a couple things about the Ring siren not being loud enough. First, SimpleCommands no longer works with Ring for anyone trying to use it to automate a smart plug. May not work at all actually. Second, the integration with Alexa now provides an option to make the ring alarm siren louder - indirectly. I just bought 2 Echo Dots and linked them to the Ring alarm via the Alexa app. It works by linking your Ring account to Alexa and then your alarm shows up as a device in the Alexa app. Clicking on the Ring alarm gives you an option to “play security system sounds on Echo devices”. Once you do this, any linked Echo device can play either the alarm system chimes OR the siren. The Echo Dots are plenty loud enough to enhance the siren sound and actually make it loud. Very loud.

1 Like