Discussion: Wireless Networks and Ring

The continuous growing world of technology presents the need for the utmost efficiency in your home’s wireless communications. We want to know what networking configuration has worked best for your Ring of security. Router, Mesh system, extender, etc., we’d love to hear!

1 Like

Right now I am using Smartthings mesh wifi system with 3 hubs. So far I have had no issues with them and my Ring system. I get good wifi coverage inside and out.

1 Like

My Ring Chime module refuses to connect to an access point (AP) six feet away (RSSI 28) and instead links to one sixty feet away (RSSI 78). I restricted the local AP channel width to 20MHz but that didn’t help. Why can’t Ring use the strongest signal for the specified 2.4GHz SSID? What other settings can I try?

[Nearby AP is Netgear, distant one is Ubiquiti]

1 Like

Hi @Toolman, have you had a chance to check out the Chime/Chime Pro device tips article in the Community? It has some helpful tips for connecting a Chime Pro to an AP.

Thanks, but that article is way too basic. All access points (AP) have the same network SSID, but the chime always chooses the weakest signal. I really don’t want to assign a static IP address, but I noticed that if I do, I may be able to specify the specific channel number associated with the closest AP. Does that sound right?

1 Like

Hi @Toolman, is it possible with your setup that you could try testing having only the Netgear AP on? Also, if possible, could you limit how many devices are connected to it while you attempt to connect the chime?

I can’t take 80% of my network down right now, but I did configure the Ubiquity AP to block wifi access for the chime module (it uses channel 11). I then did a complete (15 second) chime reset and specified channel 6, matching the Netgear R6230 router settings six feet away (running as an AP). It refused to connect. I tried again after unblocking it on the Ubiquiti. It connected to the Ubiquiti using channel 11 even though I specified channel 6. My SSID for both APs is hidden. The Netgear now uses 20 MHz channels while the Ubiquiti uses 40 MHz (both were previously 40 MHz). When the chime module is reset, it broadcasts its own SSID on channel 11. I wonder if it just prefers that channel for some strange reason?

My confidence level in the chime’s reliability at RSSIs well above 70 isn’t very good, but it does seem to work. I’m not going to reconfigure my entire network, so I guess I’ll just live with the chance of missing some notifications.

1 Like

Hi @Toolman, based on the information you provided it would be best for you connect with our support team regarding this personalized set up. They would be able to go through these details with you to better assess what is occurring. Thank you for providing the details here, I greatly appreciate it!

I am using a Ubiquiti UniFi network with 6 AP’s implemented throughout the house. The AP radio power is turned down to 50% so the RSSI settings will cause devices to roam as needed. This has worked quite well with all of my home automation devices including Ring. I also use POE powered devices whenever practical and available. This includes 9 Ring Stick Up wired cameras. It was a little more work to implement bu has served my family well. All

of my network stack is also on battery backup, which has solved a number of issues as well that were created from short power outages and brownouts.

1 Like