August lock integration

Works for me. August lock connected (z-wave) to the Ring hub. Shows up as an alarm device with very basic controls (lock/unlock, alerts on/off, and battery indicator). The more advanced lock features work from/in the August app.

Getting the thing to connect to the Ring hub was sketchy. I used 2 devices (one with Ring app, the other with August) after having the process hang when trying to use one device.
Connecting the lock to the htook a few trials. I honestly couldn’t tell you the order I used - I used the “hit and miss” method!

1 Like

Evidence.

1 Like

Yes. It’s possible to do this via the “other z wave device” method. I’ve done this. But watch out. Your August battery life will drop like a rock, and you will occasionally get wrong status of the lock. Without proper integration it’s not worth the trouble.

1 Like

Thanks for your post - very interesting. Can you elaborate a bit on how you connected the lock to the Ring hub? I tried to add an alarm manually in the Ring app (Zwave) but it did not “see” the August. Any suggestions?

When you say you went into the August app and into the Z-wave settings, what exactly did you do? I can get the Ring app to look for the lock but I don’t see anything in the August app that allows me to direct it to respond. Would appreciate any tips! Though it sounds like even with successful pairing this does not work particularly well…

How was it that you directed the August module to be detectable by the Ring app/base? Thanks!

How did you integrate the two? I tried to add a device in the Ring app, chose Z-Wave as the device type, and then the Ring app couldn’t find the lock. I am missing a step - what do I need to do in the August app to pair with Ring? Thanks!

The trick is to use two devices ,(I used my phone and an iPad) one for the August app and one for the ring app. But I warn you, this is not integration. Your August battery will go flat quickly and it will not show the lock status reliably. Not worth the trouble.

I recently purchased a Ring Doorbell Pro to replace my Ring Doorbell 2 and was told by a sales rep at Home Depot that the August Pro supported integration with Rings smart home eco-structure. We were doing a major home renovation so I wasn’t able to install my Ring Pro until a few days ago and just found out that this isn’t true. Fortunately my new Chamberlin garage door opener is supported but any ways I would love it if Ring could add support for Augusts line of products.

If this is something Ring doesn’t plan on offering could you please let me know what locks are supported? I have found several sites online that state that Ring only supports integration with August locks so suffice to say I would rather hear directly from someone at Ring as to what locks are supported.

As side from that we love the Ring Doorbell Pro and are now looking at your out door cameras and your complete security system. I have even read information that states that August locks are supported via the Ring Security Controller. Is that true? If it is this is any easy fix for us as we were looking at adding that anyways. Thank you for making a fantastic product, again we love our Ring Doorbell and it was Ring that motivated us install other smart home devices.

1 Like

I don’t know if Ring and August would need to collaborate on this but I had an email today from August support about this and they said “at this moment we are not considering any integration with the Ring Security System”

1 Like

Agreed. Setup entire Ring System only to come to My Yale Assure by August and find out it doesnt integrate. SMH. Now thinking of returning the whole system cause i love the walk up/unlock feature on this Yale Lock. Please do a software update Ring cause i love your Alarm system. I left Simplisafe for you, now this request is the least you can do. lol. No but seriouly!!

Thanks Brian B

MY GOD Where is the Thumbs Down on this !!! C’mon!! More of a Zwave vs Wifi when it comes to locks integration with Ring.

I too would be very interested. I am currently in a rental house while looking for a place to buy after changing jobs. I am not allowed to change the locks, so the August lock was perfect. Every security device, light and garage door are linked to ring except my front door lock. Please address this as soon as is possible

I would like to see native integration for the Yale/August Lock. My lock works great in HomeKit and the August App/Smart Sense with door ajar notifications is nice. Therefore I won’t convert it to zwave because that would give up the benefits of August. It would be great to arm/disarm my Ring through the Yale Keypad and have the Yale/August lock be monitored by my Ring Alarm system.

Hi neighbors! It’s great to see so many neighbors sharing their ideas and experiences in one thread. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a feature request board. There, you can share your individual ideas in an organized place, where other neighbors can also share their interest. The requests are routinely checked by our teams here for future consideration. :slight_smile:

Really want this integration as well. Might have to switch security systems soon otherwise.

I’m interested in an August/Ring integration, as well.

1 Like

So that was 2019, it’s 2021… any integration? A bit of a disappointment coming from Ring/Amazon

The problem here is this would take both Ring and August to collaborate together. Seems like the announcement was just to drum up some PR rather than actually do anything.

Ironically, this would probably be easier to integrate than a z-wave approach given the fact that August <-> Ring would need a simple webhook call rather than z-wave communication.

August already have LOTS of integrations with others using this approach but Ring seems to have no api ( at least public ) that August could invoke. Until that API is exposed don’t hold your breathe on anything happening here.

We can see all this evidence in the lack of integrations with IFTTT/Alexa/etc - ironic that the Ring that is supposed to have one of the biggest eco-systems actually doesn’t have a API. What can you do?

I need this too! Is there a feature request we can add to?