August lock integration

Can someone from Ring explain why you don’t have integration with one of the most popular smart locks on the market and probably the most popular retrofit locks? Can you explain why you continue to ignore everyone’s ask for this feature? I don’t understand the generic “we’ll pass on your ask to the product team” when you apparently had already previously started to work on a solution with August and it was announced. Use your Amazon Billions to do something helpful for your customers or risk losing them for another solution. Please someone respond with something productive here. Would be great if it comes out when the new lock launches later this year.

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting this for so long now.
I’m most likely going to get the new August lock that’s coming out but the new one will not use the hub and will also not use Z Wave. Might be the reason Ring is not doing anything for now.

2 Likes

It is supported, in a backwards half-baked way, that really isn’t support of August at all, but of the SL/Assure lock itself. You need to add a Green Z-Wave module to August/Yale locks, like 226, 446, 256, etc. This allows addition to Ring, however, it also means giving up magnetic door closure confirmation & all function via the August or Yale Connect modules & hub, which also means no more using Yale or August Connect apps. It is very insincere, Ring’s claimed support. We can only hope they actually give a crap about consumers and the Amazon sticks to it’s stated intent to provide common language and integration between Amazon. Google & iOS home automation products and systems. I sincerely doubt it. I mean, Amazon hawks their Blink cameras, which work way better than Ring for motion, which mostly gets you pics and video of people walking away from doorbells and cameras. Amazon owns both, has for some time, but of course Amazon’s Blink modules cannot be added to Amazon’s Ring system. Amazon just doesn’t seem to care about integration, even within their own brands, so I wouldn’t hold out for actual true options.

2 Likes

I’m waiting almost 2 years for that ?

1 Like

Guess that’s what I get for reading the “compatibility & integration” news releases and not checking further… I thought just maybe it would be a good time to move of a mix of older Z-Wave devices, guess I figured wrong. Drives me almost as nuts as Amazon owning Blink and not integrating those cams, which in my experience, at least XT2, are superior in motion detection & fine tuning motion zones, much less false alerts.

1 Like

Really love an update on this.

1 Like

Don’t hold your breath.

1 Like

Do you not find it disturbing that after dozens of comments and more than a year later, you still have no update? Do you not care about your customers? Can you at least be honest and tell us whether or not this will happen? We’ve all been very patient and respectful, but perhaps we need to be more public with the lack of response and broken promise. Perhaps we need to take to Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms to complain about the inaction and total dismissal of customers. Would that get a response?

1 Like

Nope. Did that and nothing happened.

1 Like

Any update?

1 Like

Another disappointed ring customer wanting to see this promised integration. This is surprising since ring customer support has been good in the past. I’m starting to think this will never happen.

1 Like

You can currently add a zwave August lock, I have the 3rd gen pro model… but I will tell you from experience that it will eat your lock batteries alive. I got to the point of replacing batteries weekly before completely disconnecting ring. Not connected to ring, my lock has gone 2 months without low battery warning.

If ring could somehow figure out how to link to August locks via the August hub, that would work better because the hub uses Bluetooth to communicate to the lock which is why the battery lasts so long

3 Likes

Thank you for this feedback, neighbors! We also appreciate you sharing your experience with August Locks and Ring, @TechGuy42.

We are always working to add and improve on devices, features, and integrations. I’ll go ahead and share this feedback with the team to once again reinforce the interest in this functionality. Fee free to check out our Feature Request board to see if this has been added there.

Wait…you mean you want us to create a feature request for a feature that has already been claimed and promised???

3 Likes

I also have the Ring video doorbell and security system with door, fire, and CO2 sensors. It would be great if the 3rd Gen August Smart Lock Pro would connect simply and consistently with the Ring Z-wave system.

How do you set it up?

You need a Z-Wave or Z-Wave Plus module, they are green and insert into the Yale, RL, SL locks where the Wifi/BT/Homekit module goes. It will disable Bluetooth function, but them you just follow the directions for setting up any Z-Wave device. If you already have it associated to another Z-Wave hub, you will need to exclude it, remove it from that network and then add it.

It will work but it will eat your batteries every 2-3 week for no reason even with no use of the lock at all. Ring says it’s August’s issue,‘August’s says it’s Rings issue. The sad thing is that someone actually knows why, just not customer support.

You actually got the AUGUST CONNECT to work with the Ring base station? i.e., the open door/confirmation magnet module functions correctly? The best I have gotten is to add the locks via Zwave+ directly as clients to the base station, but you lose all secondary app (August/Yale Connect) support completely. I even tried back door, using SmartThings Hub as the ZW+ Host and connecting it as a client to Ring Base Station and linking via Alexa to my devices there. Tried similar with Zigbee and another $50 per module, hosting by Echo Plus, connecting to Ring as a client and through skills. Tried IFTT & SumpleCommands, aka Kloee, as well, still no dice. The “support” for August Connect is an outright lie, or poor proofing, because it DOES NOT WORK, not even with Yale’s latest, top dollar model AFAIK. Best I have seen is 100% control via Ring, with loss of useful features, including being able to make any changes on the locks settings via app. Everything has to be done via master code at the lock itself, navigating and confirming manually thru the 1-9; *✓ keypad, even with the newest touchscreen model that Google uses rebranded for Nest Protect, except it ACTUALLY seems to work correctly on Google’s platform. Sad really, when companies announce support for something and then silently downgrade their specs or just never get to really integrating the features they promise. As you can tell, I am a little extra upset today… Just discovered the Intel NUC on my new $2500+top of the line 16Gb ram Surface device, which states support (as does Intel specs) will not stream PCM above 16 Bit, even though it claims 16 channels available and shows support for 24 Bit audio at 192khz. In fact, it won’t even put out 3.1 channel, either severely crippled 5.1, crippled 7.1 or stereo. Even my $180 Echo Studio can handle 24 bit multi-channel audio. So sick of these companies throwing up BS specs & silently downgrading them a year+ later. This should be illegal, these corporations at best have garbage QC, at worst straight lie to fatten shareholder pockets, knowing most consumers have no protections and zero recourse.

1 Like

Unless you spend more money on equipment you probably don’t need (like me), it will never happen. They keep talking integration. I’m still waiting. I just want to unlock my door while watching the camera.

1 Like