Alexa cannot discover Ring Floodlight Cam

I cannot discover my Ring Floodlight Cam in the Alexa app using the Ring Alexa skill. I have tried every possible troubleshooting step multiple times:

• disabled/re-enabled the Ring Alexa skill
  • removed the camera from the Ring app and added it again
  • unplugged the camera for 30 seconds and plugged it in again
  • unplugged an echo device for 30 seconds and plugged it in again
  • connected my Ring account to IFTTT (the camera appeared in IFTTT when I did this!)
  • installed the Alexa app and the Ring app on a completely different smartphone
  • attempted to discover devices while the camera was in setup mode

Nothing works. Ring support will not acknowledge that this is a known issue. Multiple users have posted feedback for the Alexa skill indicating that they cannot discover the Floodlight Cam. Some users have even stated that other Ring products are discovered successfully, but the Floodlight Cam is not discoverable.

I have many smart home devices integrated with Alexa. I even have a Nest Cam Outdoor IQ integrated with Alexa. I was going to sell the Nest camera and switch to Ring exclusively due to reports of better Alexa integration with Ring cameras. I am shocked that Alexa cannot even discover the Ring Floodlight Cam!

1 Like

Update: I tried to discover the camera every few hours the day after I had all of these problems. The camera was finally discovered at night just before going to bed. I didn’t do anything differently, it just worked.

2 Likes

Hey @markdatter, glad to hear it finally added for you. It’s odd to see a device fail discovery by Alexa, even more unusual that it’s resolved itself after many attempts. Nevertheless, your patience and persistence helped you achieve this functionality and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your ‘Ring of security’!

1 Like

@Marley_Ring wrote:

Hey @markdatter, glad to hear it finally added for you. It’s odd to see a device fail discovery by Alexa, even more unusual that it’s resolved itself after many attempts. Nevertheless, your patience and persistence helped you achieve this functionality and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your ‘Ring of security’!

Just wanted to mention that I’ve had similar experiences with this both on my own devices and client’s devices as well. Sometimes removing and re-linking the skill will be enough, but when that doesn’t work, it’s usually just a matter of waiting 24-48 hours, when they’ll suddenly start showing up as available.

This doesn’t seem to be unique to Ring, either, but Alexa skills in general. I took a day and a half for my Eufy smart plug to show up as available in Alexa after linking just the other day. And I’ve had it happen with many different devices of various manufacturers over the last couple years.

So I’m not sure it’s much the Ring dev team can do to address it, as it seems to be more a framework issue with Alexa skills and the limited amount of diagnostic data available to the user and support regarding Alexa linking. Hopefully the Alexa team can work to make device discovery and activation in Alexa more robust as it does seem to need work still.

1 Like

I have a stick up cam that my Alexa can not seem to discover. I’ve also tried resetting and all that jazz with no response. Any suggestions?

Hi @jamielin. If the suggestions previously mentioned in this thread do not resolve your concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They can take a closer look and offer more advanced troubleshooting support, or recommend you contact Alexa’s support if needed. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Anymore updates on this.? I don’t have the CAM but just the floodlights. They are not discoverable still after several hours. Alexa says its a ring issue. I have tried all the above. Reset the skill, linked and unlinked. Still not finding them. Its 2022 now and still same issue. WOW!!!

1 Like

Did you ever figure it out?? I just hooked up ours and I’m having the same problem! I’m extremely upset! Can’t find any answers. Ring says I have to set up in the alexa app and Alexa app says I have to set up the flood light in the ring app. Ughhh

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.