cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alexa Skill Doesn't Honor Motion Schedule

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Alexa Skill Doesn't Honor Motion Schedule

I'm confused. Has the Alexa app changed? If I go to Routines I'm shown existing routines, featured routines, and I'm offered an opportunity to create a new routine (the "+" at the upper right corner). The "devices" button is at the lower right corner, and touching that will take you out of "routines." So I've got two choices (neither of which matches what you've said here) - Go to devices and try to set up the Ring camera there (as we know, that doesn't work), or to create a new routine. Creating a new routine there is no "motion" variable "when this happens." Going to "Smart Home" offers an opportunity to use the Ring camera, but the only variable available is "not detected" or "detected" - not a schedule. Sure could use some help here. Perhaps this is something that cannot be done. Sure would be nice to have the Ring app integrate fully with Alexa, as do the apps for Nest thermostats and Kasa lighting.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I got so disgusted and embarassed with Alexa shouting out “motion detected” every time neighbors in my apartment building threw out garbage, I disabled motion alerts from Alexa. They still alert on the family’s Apple devices and chimes so it was no big deal.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

What finally broke our will in turning it off on Alexa is the well-known propensity for a Ring to greet the dawn with an alert. . . in the master bedroom at 5am.  Doesn't take much of that to convince one this was not such a great idea after all.