API / Webservice?

The easiest integration? Allow access to your API, as suggested here https://twitter.com/ring/status/1122970978894499841

N.b., many folks seem to have applied (myself included) with no response from Ring.

1 Like

Hey @KrisB! If you have yet to hear anything back about this program, we recommend that you email partners@ring.com for more information on your application and to get a quicker response.

I may do that.

However, the suggestion remains that an open API should be available… I shouldn’t need to be a “Ring Partner” in order to have access to the data generated by the devices I’ve purchased.

1 Like

The partner page and all traces have long since been removed but it doesn’t matter.

On behalf of huge maker and home automation communities that surround Ring products, I invite Ring to consider making the private API public or creating an API specifically for the purpose of allowing partners/makers/developers. The API, of course, would need to allow full functionality, especially subscribing to events.

With the change to IFTTT tinkerers like myself no longer have the flexibility to get events from Ring (even by way of a third-party service) to trigger events in home automation or in our projects.

I am personally extending this invitation since I have contributed a huge amount of time in helping multiple groups (the largest groups that have third-party Ring integrations in fact) understand and improve the functionality which in turn improves the user experience of your products.

Please work with the community to make integrations more than they are now… Allow us to subscribe and receive events rather than poll Ring services and potentially miss events. It’s better for us in that we won’t miss events and it’s better for Ring in that there would be much less overall traffic against the APIs.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. But it appears as though Ring wants monopolistic control of their Ring universe. Yet they are unwilling to invest in other smart home services unless there is a large community. Sadly for me, I am trying to migrate away from Samsung SmartThings because their platform has very wide support, but their automation services are not very deep IMHO. I don’t really trust Google so I don’t want to go down that path. If Ring had an open, and very secure, API, the community of Ring users could help extend their coverage. Also, Ring may not be willing to implement an idea because of resources and/or a perceived lack of need. Yet a determined hobbyist/developer type might be willing to try it and offer a solution to others. I guess that Ring has decided that the cash flow for their own subscriptions is of paramount importance. I further suspect that the hardware is mainly a means to increase that cash flow and is sold at, or below, cost.

Very sad and frustrating, IMHO.

1 Like