Video Storage Time Length Options

Having a Ring Protect Plan for your Video Doorbells and Security Cams gives you the great benefit of video storage, which allows you to look back at the events your devices caught throughout the past few days. Depending on how you use your device, you may not want all your videos stored for the maximum amount of time - 60 days is the default in some countries, such as US and CA, and 30 days for most EU countries. Learn more about the maximum storage time for your location in this Ring Help Center article. This is why we are excited to bring you a new Video Setting feature that allows you to choose the maximum length of time videos are stored for each device. Learn more about this feature below.

Video Storage Time Length Options
You can select from a 1, 3, 7, 14, 21, 30, 60, and 180 days storage length. Note: 60 days is the default in some countries, such as US and CA, and 30 days for most EU countries. Learn more about the maximum storage time for your location in this Ring Help Center article.

Deleted Videos
Videos that are not downloaded prior to the selected storage time deadline will be deleted permanently and will not be recoverable. This is why it is important to take time to choose which setting is right for you and to always download your favorite videos.

Snapshot Capture Storage Time Length
Snapshot captures are not affected by this setting and will still be stored for seven days. Learn more in this Snapshot Capture Ring Help Center article.

Shared Video Storage Length
This will not affect any shared video links you create using the Ring app share feature. The shared video link will continue to playback the video you share outside the set or maximum video storage time set in the app. However, you will not be able to view the video within the Ring app. Shared links will enable anyone with this link to view its content at any time.

Multiple devices
You can now set different storage lengths for each Video Doorbell and Security Cam that you are the owner of. For example, I can have my Video Doorbell 3’s videos stored for 30 days since I want to have those longer for delivery videos. But for my side yard Spotlight Cam, I set the storage time for videos to seven days because I always look at those events immediately and don’t need them saved for as long to review later.

Adding or Resetting a Device
If you reset your Video Doorbell or Security Cam and set it back up on your account, it will go back to the longest default time for Video Storage, which is 60 or 30 days depending on your location. The same is true for when you set up a new device, it will have the default storage length as well. You will need to go into your settings to update the storage time length. Learn how to do this in the below steps.

How to Update Your Video Storage Time

In the Ring App:

• Tap on the three lines on the top left of the Dashboard screen.
  • Tap on Control Center .
  • Tap on Video Management .
  • Tap Video Storage Time .
  • Select and option (will vary depending on country).

From a Computer or Laptop:

Go to Ring.com and login with the same email address and password that you use for the Ring app.

• Click on Account on the top right.
  • Click on Control Center in the dropdown menu.
  • Click on Video Management.
  • Click Video Storage Time.

From Ring.com on a Mobile Device:

Go to Ring.com and login with the same email address and password that you use for the Ring app.

• Click on the three lines on the top left of the Dashboard .
  • Click on Control Center .
  • Click on Video Management.
  • Click Video Storage Time.

We are excited to hear how you use the Video Storage Length update for your setup. Let us know in the comments below!

2 Likes

You asked: “Closing a real estate transaction on 8/24, I will need to configure a couple of Ring devices for my own use. How can this be accomplished?”

Hi. Does anyone know why sometimes it takes so long to activate my live view?

Hey @pixie1970. You can learn more about why it may take awhile to activate your Live View and how to address this concern in Riley’s Community post here! :slight_smile:

Ring needs Geofencing now! Sooner then later… people I know are switching to Arlo and other brands just because switching to Away, home manually is not practical. And if your paying for high caliber equipment there needs to be geofencing.

Where is Geofencing??

I subscribed to the basic plan today and I do not have the option to change length videos are saved. In addition, it shows my trial period beginning June 2020. How do I fix this?

Says my ring is offline I reset modem and router

Hey @jhf17. Try posting your concern in one of our boards. Be sure to include if this is a Doorbell or Camera, and any troubleshooting steps you may have already tried.

I upgraded the Plan and even though I extended the video recording time up to 180 days the system only records me up to 30 days

Hi @user45231. You can adjust the Video Storage Time in the Control Center by following the steps here. The Video Storage Time can be adjusted for each device individually. If you’re having trouble with this, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.