Ring connectivity fix

Hi all, thought I’d share this.

Purchased a ring doorbell 3 a couple of days ago and found that as soon as I placed it outside it lost connection.

Ran though everything I could think of until I realised that it only dropped connection when I screwed the face plate security screw in.

Now I don’t know why but if I screw the security screw all the way in my door bell just dies. So I’ve left it relatively loose and it’s working perfectly. Still not 100% considering its less than 15ft from the router but it’s working which is the main thing.

Try it if you’re having problems and let me know.

@Matt84 wrote:
Hi all, thought I’d share this.
Purchased a ring doorbell 3 a couple of days ago and found that as soon as I placed it outside it lost connection.
Ran though everything I could think of until I realised that it only dropped connection when I screwed the face plate security screw in.
Now I don’t know why but if I screw the security screw all the way in my door bell just dies. So I’ve left it relatively loose and it’s working perfectly. Still not 100% considering its less than 15ft from the router but it’s working which is the main thing.
Try it if you’re having problems and let me know.

Hello @Matt84 ,

That’s a good catch troubleshooting and realizing that the tight security screw somehow was causing your connection issue! :slight_smile:

It does make me thing about another thing. During the installation of their Video Doorbell, people tend to screw the doorbell’s mounting screws in way too tightly to the mounting surface. It should be secure tight, but not gorilla cranked tight. This is especially important if the surface you are attached to is uneven, which can cause the plastic Video Doorbell case to slightly twist/warp/bend which could cause the interior circuit-board “guts” to displace/warp slightly inside and could also cause the “Quick Release Battery-Pack” to bind inside its compartment.

Check that your mounting bracket wasn’t warped/bent/twisted when attached to the house, by loosening the mounting screws and then re-tighten appropriately. It is possible that if you did twist/displace something inside the Video Doorbell, that now the security screw alignment inadvertently touches something inside that its not suppose to, or its just enough more to twist the case further.

If the attaching surface is uneven, you could try to level it out a bit with some type of paste compound or some other ‘leveling’ method. Only tighten the mounting screws tight enough to prevent the doorbell from moving. It does not need to be cranked down super tight.

If you think the less-tighten mounting screws might back-out or become loose in the future, try using a little “Loctite” on the treads of those mounting screws to prevent unintentional loosening of these screws.

As for the Security screw itself, it should screw in flush, and there is no need to make this tight or deep. Be careful not to go too tight/deep that you damage the threads or make it too difficult to remove later (especially after being exposed to the weather elements for awhile).

Hope you, or others that read this post, find this information somehow useful. :slight_smile:

1 Like