Ring Sharing my personal information with 3rd parties - Statement required

Agreed. Just an FYI, there are a couple posts on the community asking the same questions…

@MizzrBear wrote:

Hello,

After reading this article at eff.org I’d like to ask for an official statement regarding this from Ring.com Either verifying or denying these claims. And I’ll take it from there.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/01/ring-doorbell-app-packed-third-party-trackers?fbclid=IwAR3KmsgvUXj78J32c9B4hPwmjZgDrTbKA2vHXFv-1ZQWx0RuBXJ_aKadB3c

1 Like

Hello, Ring (Shaq), somebody! I’d like a response please. Specifically, how do I prevent the sharing of ANY of my information? I give you my money, that entitles me to freedom from information-sharing, no?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/01/ring-doorbell-app-packed-third-party-trackers

Hi neighbors,

First and foremost, we want to remind you that at Ring, privacy is foundational - and guides every decision we make.

Like many companies, Ring uses third-party service providers to understand the use of our mobile app, which helps us improve features, optimize your customer experience, and evaluate the effectiveness of our marketing. We care deeply about providing our neighbors with the best possible experience and leverage these tools to help us do so.

We want to ensure you that these service providers’ use of the data provided is contractually limited to appropriate purposes, such as performing these services on our behalf, and not for other purposes. Ring is not in the business of selling customer information.

For more information, please reference our Privacy Notice on Ring.com/privacy.

Thanks,
Jennifer

“Jennifer” your canned response is cute, and also, not at all useful.

Now, can you please address my specific question?

Specifically, how do I prevent the sharing of ANY of my information?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/01/ring-doorbell-app-packed-third-party-trackers

1 Like

@Jennifer - Your response does not answer my initial request. I’m asking for an OFFICIAL STATEMENT from Ring IF what’s stated in that article is true or false.

I am very well aware that many companies use ANONYMOUS data to improve their products and services, but according to that article, you are purposely sharing PII (Personally Identifiable Information). It looks like you are giving out full names, addresses, email addresses, location, etc.

I demand an official statement please.

1 Like

@Jennifer, please answer his question, because many of us are concerned. His request is not out of line, at all, and should be answered with a statement as requested. We all deserve an answer.

1 Like

The question was answered. Read what she stated. That’s Ring’s response. Do you think she’s going to make another official statement herself? It’s the same answer on Twitter, Facebook site and every other site Ring is on. Call the corporate office and ask them. They call the shots. Harassing the Ring personnel here won’t make anything different. It’s a waste of time. Go after the people in charge to make another statement…

Ring Inc
Ring Inc. provides security products. The Company offers alarms, video doorbells, security systems, cameras, and lighting products. Ring serves customers worldwide.

ADDRESS
1523 26th Street Santa Monica, CA 90404 United States
PHONE
1-310-929-7085

The problem ring has is that they havent upheld principle 1 of the GDPR.

I act as a Data Protection Officer. I know the law about data sharing.

I was unaware of any sharing with the evil Facebook corp (i don’t have an account and nor should you) or anyone else.

I will be requesting a DSAR in the morning and so should you if you live in the EU. As part of the DSAR Ring will be forced to disclose who they share data with.

I am sick and tired of big US corps thinking they can use our data under any excuse.

If you are a lawyer and want to test Article 82 of the GDPR then contact me.

For anyone reading this - ask for a Subject Access Request under Article 15 of the GDPR and article 45 (chapter 3) of the UKs Data Protection Act 2018. From this you will see what they have on us and whom they have shared it with.

You should also consider contacting your countries DPA if they give you the cold shoulder.

This screams class action and if so then the UK may be a good place to start.

Dear Ring,

We BUY your product. We are not THE product.

And you’re wasting my time. A canned response is useless, as the question is being dodged. You should be able to understand that. I am not attempting to harass anyone. It’s an honest question. So I suggest you stop harassing customers.

2 Likes

@Jennifer,

I am still awaiting a reply. I understand that you as community manager may not have the authority to do so, but please pass this up the chain.

I understand sharing data for analytics but Facebook?! - From all the places where your data could go, that’s probably one of the largest threats for anybody’s privacy.

Max.

1 Like

I’d like to opt-out of ANY and ALL sharing of my personal information. Please, don’t respond with your typical form letter, regarding how much “Ring” cares about my privacy. Prove it, by allowing any customer to opt-out. It’s simple, attached is an example of how Verizon allows their customers to do so.

We’d like to opt out of a bunch of the same posts posted by the same person. Just post once, you don’t need to spam the forum.

You have got to be kidding. After all the things you post? That’s funny.

Which button do I press to opt you out? In other words, how do one go about giving Ring (and affiliated companies) your private information instead of mine?

I’d like to opt-out of ANY and ALL sharing of my personal information. Please, don’t respond with your typical form letter, regarding how much “Ring” cares about my privacy. Prove it, by allowing any customer to opt-out. It’s simple, attached is an example of how Verizon allows their customers to do so.

Wow, guess there’s children on here.

Hi neighbors,

First and foremost, we want to remind you that at Ring, privacy is foundational - and guides every decision we make.

Like many companies, Ring uses third-party service providers to understand the use of our mobile app, which helps us improve features, optimize your customer experience, and evaluate the effectiveness of our marketing. We care deeply about providing our neighbors with the best possible experience and leverage these tools to help us do so.

We want to ensure you that these service providers’ use of the data provided is contractually limited to appropriate purposes, such as performing these services on our behalf, and not for other purposes. Ring is not in the business of selling customer information.

For more information, please reference our Privacy Notice on Ring.com/privacy.

Please also review our Community Guidelines to ensure we are making the Community the best it can be for all neighbors.

Thanks,

Marley

Marley,

You are the second person to completely avoid making a statement answering the questions in my original post. Only after receiving a firm “Yes! We are sending your data to FACEBOOK” we can continue having a discussion.

Please, enough with the impotent form letters–they mean nothing! Not to the 1st year law student that wrote it, and certainly not to paying customers. I want privacy, not patrinization! Either tell me how to opt-out of ANY and ALL information sharing. Or, tell me it’s not possible and I will cancel my subscription.

1 Like

Some seem to be getting a bit carried away here.

You cannot withdraw consent if consent isn’t being used as a legal basis to process.

I also can’t help and nor can RIng, if you are US based and resident in a state that has poor data protection law (federal law is woeful - that is a given) . That isn’t Rings fault, it’s yours, the voter. You can’t blame them for your government etc.

Here in the more enlightened EU we have strong DP laws and it is these laws I believe that Ring have broken. My DSAR is due within the next week and I will post back with findings. My feeling is that they won’t fulfil the DSAR correctly. They may even offer me free stuff to make me go away. We will see.