RING violating our privacy. This must be a huge break of the EU GDPR regulation

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ring-app-for-android-full-to-the-brim-with-third-party-trackers-report/

I have never given RING the authorisation to share my private data with 3 parties. In Europe this must be autorised by the user accourding to the GDPR regulations.

1 Like

How are you allowed to use the services if you didn’t agree to the privacy policy? What was the magic trick?

The problem is not that Ring can get what they need to run the service, but that they harvesting data and share it with other companies whitout our knowledge.

I’ve disabled contacts, position and storage in the app settings long time ago. Why does Ring need access to my contacts? Your posision? The Doorbell is on a fixed position, so it’s the position of your mobile phone Ring is tracking, why?

1 Like

Recommend you review the privacy policy, specifically where they mention third party analytic services. The page is old, but they even enumerate some of the services they use.

Well, I guess the answere is something like this: “Ring claims to prioritize the security and privacy of its customers, yet time and again we’ve seen these claims not only fall short but harm the customers and community members who engage with Ring’s surveillance system. This goes a step beyond that, by simply delivering sensitive data to third parties not accountable to Ring or bound by the trust placed in the customer-vendor relationship.”

Yes, I read the article. You seriously think the author has access to the contracts to know that Ring doesn’t hold its vendors accountable? That’s just sensationalist nonsense to drum up donations to the EFF. If you didn’t even read Ring’s privacy policy, I doubt you’ve looked at what services those companies provide, so it’s not worth continuing to discuss this matter.

Hi neighbors,

First and foremost, we want to remind you that at Ring, privacy is foundational - and guides every decision we make.

Like many companies, Ring uses third-party service providers to understand the use of our mobile app, which helps us improve features, optimize your customer experience, and evaluate the effectiveness of our marketing. We care deeply about providing our neighbors with the best possible experience and leverage these tools to help us do so.

We want to ensure you that these service providers’ use of the data provided is contractually limited to appropriate purposes, such as performing these services on our behalf, and not for other purposes. Ring is not in the business of selling customer information.

For more information, please reference our Privacy Notice on Ring.com/privacy.

Thank you neighbors.

Yes, I very often read the Privacy Policy and they often have the clause about analytic services. It’s a problem, but in this case it goes futher. Buts lets have a look at the GDPR regulatoins that Ring have to comply to to do business in Europe. Here is a summary from PwC:

Article 5: Use of personal data only for the purpose for which it was collected.

- You must know clearly what your personal data is used for, and you also have the right to access your personal data.
Article 17: Right to be deleted.

- If you are no longer a customer or you do not want your personal information to be used for example in marketing, you have the right to have your personal data deleted.
Article 25: Consent must be given in an understandable way.

- Businesses cannot process your personal information unless you have given specific and clear consent. It ends with “I agree” to ten pages of small print that you do not understand.

Violations of the regulations may result in fines of up to 20 million Euro or 4% of the company’s total turnover. IT vendors (data processors) can also receive fines directly.

To Chelsea_Ring:

Do you comply to this regulations? Where can I as a customer see the data you collect about me? Any place I can delet it? I also wonder, how do reporting my use of the app to Facebook improve my user experience? I’m trying to keep out of FB the best I can! After the Cambridge analytica scandal and Zuckerberg publicly askt his userbase for forgivnes for FB misuse of trust at least 3 times everybody should think about their use of FB.

1 Like

Hello, Ring (Shaq), somebody! I’d like a response please. Specifically, how do I prevent the sharing of ANY of my information? I give you my money, that entitles me to freedom from information-sharing, no?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/01/ring-doorbell-app-packed-third-party-trackers

1 Like

The question is - what legal basis are they processing information with third parties?

Then, if they use LI then please provide the written anaylsis that justifies LI. Once done how does a data subject object to processing or withdrawing consent?

Posted elsewhere what you should do under article 15