No live view on Ring Spotlight Battery Camera

I have suddenly lost live view on one of my spotlight battery cameras. It’s fine on my other 2 spotlight cams and Ring doorbell. I’ve restarted/reset my Wifi, and done a hard reset on the camera. Still not working. Any suggestions welcome.

@Jules54 wrote:
I have suddenly lost live view on one of my spotlight battery cameras. It’s fine on my other 2 spotlight cams and Ring doorbell. I’ve restarted/reset my Wifi, and done a hard reset on the camera. Still not working. Any suggestions welcome.

Hello @Jules54 ,

Many devices that were working fine, some were affected and some were not, after the Ring Server issues (29/30 Sept). There was a wide range of different effects, that include multiple Notifications for no reason, random chiming, inability to connect to “Live View”, motion detection loss or detections different than App settings, changed Chirp Tones, etc. Yes, it seems that if your devices were affected during the time the Ring Servers were having issues, your device may still be acting strange.

To rule out if the Ring Server ‘outage’ and their repairs that might have affected one or more of your Ring devices, first, try briefly removing power for like 30-seconds from any Ring device not acting normally (unplug it from house outlet, or remove the battery). If it continues to act up, you may have to do a normal reset, by tapping the reset button. If a normal reset doesn’t solve it, try a hard Factory Reset (push and hold the reset button for > 20-seconds) and then complete the setup instructions.

As for settings on your Ring App that aren’t working as expected (for example, “Motion Alerts” are toggled OFF and yet you are getting text-type Notifications) then toggle that setting ON and then OFF (or vice-a-versa) to ‘re-send’ your settings to the Ring servers. If your camera’s motion detection acts like it has been changed, change those App settings too and save, and then put them back to the way they were prior to 30 September.

Doing this seems to fix most of the devices or App settings that started acting strange on or after 30 September. I got lucky, and simply unplugging my Chime Pro, waiting about 30 seconds, and re-plugged it back in restored my Chime back to it’s normal functioning. Same for my App settings, by re-toggling and/or changing my settings, (hitting “Save” in case where appropriate) and then changing my settings back the way they were corrected those issues too.

If you already did the above fixes, but did them during the 30th, then retry them again.

If your issues still continue, ruling out the Ring “outage” was the cause, then you should telephone Ring Support:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I hope this remedies your issues too. :slight_smile:

For more details:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Accessories/Ring-Chime-pro-keeps-chiming-in-the-dead-of-the-night/m-p/61796#M2397

1 Like

Hi Boone

Thank you so much for providing such a comprehensive response to my problem. I worked my way through your suggestions and great news - my live view has been restored. Can’t thank you enough!

1 Like

Having the same problem for just one of my 3 cameras and have tried removing the battery and resetting. Still no live view, but getting motion alerts (history just shows a black screen for the live view). Tried chatting and calling Ring support but says no service due to COVID. Not sure what to do now.

@cramos37 wrote:

Having the same problem for just one of my 3 cameras and have tried removing the battery and resetting. Still no live view, but getting motion alerts (history just shows a black screen for the live view). Tried chatting and calling Ring support but says no service due to COVID. Not sure what to do now.

Hello @cramos37 ,

Sorry to hear you are still having issues with one of your cameras.

What is the RSSI value on the “Device Health” page? R eceived S ignal S trength I ndicator (RSSI) value you see in your “Device Health” is actually Wi-Fi connection strength negative-number, so -25 to -50 is typical and good. Once you start getting -60 or more, that is not a good number. Maybe if you have a very high RSSI, your connection isn’t good enough for W-Fi high-data video , which is a frequent cause of preventing the connection to " Live View", or resulting in a " Black Screen" video recordings, or issues with poor audio streaming. And even if your RSSI value is good, dense structures, and obstacles can degrade the data signal, so that means a strong RSSI doesn’t always mean you have a good DATA connection , (but RSSI is a useful indicator) so a device can actually be closer than another camera that is functioning well and farther away! Although the text-type ‘pushed’ notification are quick low-data burst connections and have a better chance of getting to your App even with a high RSSI value. Also your smart-phone Ring App may have connections issues to the Ring servers.

These links, and other online information at https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us may help:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023439472-Fixing-Black-Video-Errors-by-Adjusting-Your-…

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030391371-Improving-your-Ring-Device-Connectivity-

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001499906-Ring-App-is-Having-Trouble-Connecting-to-the…

If your “Live View” still unable to activate, you can try Un-Installing and then Re-Installing the Ring App. Don’t worry about losing all your previous settings or connection set ups if you have multiple Ring devices, because that data is not stored on your phone (that information is tied to your Ring email “Owner” account). Although, I’ve noticed that sometimes re-installing your App might reset ‘little’ settings back to the default setting, like your Alert Sound choices (App Alert-Tones/Chirp-Tones).

Another option you should consider is resetting on your camera again. You did mention that you did perform a resetting, but I’m assuming you did a ‘regular’ setting (you just tapped the reset button). But this time, you should perform a " Hard" Factory reset on your cam (instead of a regular setup) The reason is that during a Factory Reset, you will restore your cam back to its original factory firmware programming and you totally clean out any downloaded firmware since then. There is a possibility that your device might have some slightly corrupted firmware that occurred during your initial setup. Using a Factory Reset, you will be starting fresh and clean, and will eliminate any possible malfunctioning caused by previous slightly-bad firmware that has manifested into an issue now.

Hopefully you can complete this Factory Reset while at your cam’s mounted location, as long as you have a good Wi-Fi signal. But if it is movable, accomplish this hard reset with the cam closer to your router. To accomplish a Factory hard Reset on your cam, Push and Hold the reset button for 20-seconds, but I like holding it for about 30-seconds , and then release. After you release the Reset Button, the device will take a minute or two to ‘wake up’ and then automatically enter the Setup Mode. Proceed and complete the entire setup, and when you get to the part where the App offers you to “Skip” button, DO NOT. This is a delicate part of the setup, where it is going to download all the latest available Firmware. This could take up to 5 or 6 minutes, depending on the speed of your Wi-Fi. Even when your hear her say, “Your Ring Video Cam is now ready” still wait and do not continue for a while. Continue on the next App pages until reaching the page that has the “Skip Button” and stop there. Wait until this page steps to the next page on its own. Even after your App goes to the next step, I wait another minute. Yeah, I’m a little paranoid and I don’t like to rush this part. You want to provide your cam the opportunity to get a nice, clean firmware download, without proceeding on to change settings as this download is simultaneously occurring. A little patience here can help avoid having to start all over again with another Factory Reset.

And then, if this all doesn’t correct your issue, I would again telephone Ring Support for help:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have also been changed and no longer 24/7 :

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I hope this information is helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Cramos37

Can I also suggest you try removing the camera that’s not working from your Wifi then reinstalling it as a new device. This has solved some problems for me in the past

1 Like

Wow thank you both for taking the time to reply and for doing so so quickly!

I tried this morning factory reset and am trying to re-add the camera to my app but now the Ring setup doesnt’ show up as a wifi option when I get to that step. Any tips for what to do when that happens?

1 Like

Hi again cramos37
Sometimes the Ring camera doesn’t show up as an option to select under the Wifi step. It’s a bit hit or miss. You just have to restart the process and keep trying. Sometimes a hard reset of your phone can help. Always make sure you have the actual camera close to your Wifi “source” when you’re trying to reconnect to it too. Hope this helps.

1 Like