Neighbor posts being removed

Looks like you got what we used to call, Ring and run. That’s really not a threat, and they only pushed the doorbell then left. Ask the police if they think it’s anything, I’d be surprised if they said it was a problem to look into. But posts like these are no longer allowed. I still see all the older ones on my app. But no new ones like those. If these other posts recently got approved, I’d have to see them to guess why they were.

@Eagle328 wrote:
Looks like you got what we used to call, Ring and run. That’s really not a threat, and they only pushed the doorbell then left. Ask the police if they think it’s anything, I’d be surprised if they said it was a problem to look into. But posts like these are no longer allowed. I still see all the older ones on my app. But no new ones like those. If these other posts recently got approved, I’d have to see them to guess why they were.

They are more recent than mine.

1 Like

I finally received a response from the Ring Team with an explanation I can understand. It seems my post was removed because:

However posts of children or teenagers engaging in senseless pranks are not permissible crime and safety updates that would benefit the neighborhood overall.

While I disagree with their assessment of the situation (i.e.: the video is of a young man but it’s not clear he is a minor) I am happy to understand their rationale. Also, I would suggest they include this information in the guidelines they refer people to so folks are not left guessing in cases like this.

One thing is clear, the Neighbor App is moderated by people who do not understand specific neighborhoods and their challenges. I am unlikely to make use of it in the future as it does not further the safety of my neighborhood. In fact, in this case, it was an obstacle to getting a timely resolution to the matter.

Good day to all and thanks for the help.

7 Likes

That was definitely a kid playing Ring and run on you. Maybe 12 to 13 of age. I would not consider that a reason to be worried in any way at all. If that post was posted you’d be seeing everyone saying the same thing. These are the posts that caused the backlash. I’m sorry but that was a child playing a game as old as me. I did it as a kid too. I bet that kid lives near you as well.

@Eagle328:

I do not agree. This behavior can be an attempt to see if someone is at home,

will he react or does the doorbell work? Thieves have many ways to scout.

Any such behavior can be a stupid joke, but also scouting before a crime.

My rule: I’m not looking after the thief, but the thief is looking after me.

If you understand what I’m talking about.

And the second rule: If something can happen, assume that it will happen.

That’s why I would like to know who is walking around my area.

4 Likes

Hey, if you call the cops on young children playing Ring and run, please post the conversation. I’d love to hear it. But I know that I don’t want to know or hear it in the neighbor app. And it seems I’m not alone since they block these. Maybe they should add a tab so people that are afraid of children can get child in the neighborhood alerts as well as meter reader alerts too. But give the rest of us the ability to block these people from us in the future.

I was an isolated incident sounds like to me… The person or person did a ding-dong Ditch on you. Do you mind if I ask what age that person could have been? The reason that it was taken down. It causes no threat or imminent danger to the neighbor’s. I wonder how many other people have ring and runs?

Sonny boy,

I wonder if you were still having problems posting incidents to the Neighborhood…

I, too, had problems with with Ring Neighbor admin removing perfectly legitimate posts. My last post involved a car with people running up to a door, ringing the doorbell, and then sorta “trying the door handle”. I chased the car, observed their behavior, took a pix of their license plate, and called county police. Officer responded within four minutes, took the info, and I mentioned that I might also post the info to Ring - he said “Great idea - please do!”, and off he went to find the car.

I did - and Ring Neighborhood immediately took it down because “it didn’t meet community standards”. Imagine that.

I also FYIed the Community about receiving phony IRS calls (actually from India) with the ol’ “you owe money, the police are coming for you” scam. I happen to live in the Number One target area in the U.S. for telemarketing & phone scams, since we’re loaded with retirees. They work an exchange and geographic area. And Ring Neighborhood immediately took THAT post down because “it didn’t meet community standards”. Imagine that.

I called Ring Support for an explanation, and “Daniel” just hemmed, hawed, schuck and jived, but could not/would not explain what was going on. Considering the vast amount of absolutely useless and inappropriate Ring Neighborhood comments (my Ring Neighborhood neighbors use the forum like Facebook & Twitter) we receive on a daily basis, it is inexplicable as to why I couldn’t post legitimate incidents. “Daniel” eventually “disconnected” our call. Imagine that.

Got fed up, and sent a firm but polite response to my last Ring Neighborhood comment rejection summarizing the above, and informed them I wouldn’t bother them anymore.

And I haven’t seen ANY ACTIVITY on my Ring Neighborhood forum since then - NATTA! Total silence, no activity - never seen this since we’ve been on Ring. And I’m paying for this?

Wow… looks like we have Facebook/Twitter administrators working over at Ring, hmm?

BTW, to reduce the inevitable trolling - I’m a retired DHS (Homeland Security) officer, and I’m doing some volunteer work with the FBI with the public sector.

Looking for a replacement for my Ring Doorbell… which actually works pretty well for our family.

2 Likes

FYI, you don’t have to pay for the neighborhood app. It’s free to anyone wether if you have a Ring device or not. As for the posts, the one checking car doors I would want to know about. The fake IRS calls might not make the cut since it has nothing to do with the area. It’s good to warn others of course. But, some people get upset by posts they see as already known to them. The really should tell you why it was removed after they remove it. How else do you learn… It’s a good app but is still growing up in many ways.

Ummmm…

The people checking the doors were trying the HOUSE doors, NOT car doors.

The fake IRS calls having “nothing to do with the area”? Uh uh. You need to go back and read my post - it has EVERYTHING to do with the area times 10!

TRUST ME - part of my job was working on various scams that involved Federal employees at work AND at home. I know of what I speak in detail.

Thanks for your response - much appreciated!

1 Like

I disagree. Even if it is just a Ding and Ditch thing, there is no reason to delete the original posters thread. He has a concern and it should be listened to.

1 Like

I am having same issue but what boggles me is how the same posts ring is tagging me on, I see all the time from others, and who is ring to be the authority on what’s right or wrong for simple sake of posterity what they think may not be a crime may in fact be the precursor to a crime, or even the missing link in giving evidence to a crime, either way, at the end of the day the community is a social media platform and policing free speech by technology elites is Orwellian, I don’t need ring censoring me any more than I need Facebook or twitter censoring me.

1 Like

Actually, there is no free speech on here or any social platform. You agree to adhere to the rules when you signed. If you don’t follow the rules, you can be banned as well. So, any site that allows you to post always has rules to follow and usually there is no way to fight it. They own it.

1 Like

Yes I agree, for now, why feel Orwellian not illegal, either way you must agree it’s a slippery slope because without technology platforms who in some cases are nearing a monopoly, we are back to hand printing local Gazettes and HAM radio especially since Amazon owns ring, Bezos owns both and the Washington Post. We are entering an era where tests on free speech have not been so at risk since the 1790’s.

Thanks to technology we’ve become sheep. We are lied to repeatedly by media. Social media is the worst for disinformation. I see things getting worse. All media in controlled by a few corporations. They twist it as they want and it’s totally legal. Going back to the 70s would be better. I love technology but hate what it brings with it.

You don’t really have to break any “rules” in this forum to be “banned”.

I didn’t… Ring Customer Support didn’t see anything that caught their eye when they reviewed my comments and Neighbor alerts, and one of the Customer Service reps (from a subsequent call) didn’t have the stones to tell me or my wife what was wrong - he just hemmed and hawed, and said “try again”. Obviously, the whims of the apparent bedwetters that moderate the Community are as flighty as a summer breeze…

In the meantime, some pretty abusive and ignorant commenters have been carrying on unimpeded over the past five months. WE know who they are, no matter what the “Neighbor number” may be.

Time to look at another security system that delivers the service they PROMISE for your money unconditionally.

4 Likes

First, this is not allowed. “Obviously, the whims of the apparent bedwetters that moderate the Community are as flighty as a summer breeze…”

No harassment

Please leave all negative and rude posts at the door. Don’t use the Ring Community to harass, threaten, intimidate, bully or stalk others. Ring also does not permit any type of trolling, which may include hijacking or taking a thread drastically off-topic, shaming, personal attacks, etc

And they do not ban people here for one or two posts or for no reason. But you are free to do whatever you want.

Your right, no matter how sanitized my comments are, posts I have made get blocked and others make same all the time it’s just weird makes no sense, I figured I could beat the algorithm but not so…i do have to agree with Mr Eagle however, if was having this conversation in person would you call people bedwetters ? Maybe in close company, to a stranger ? does not offend me, it’s slightly accurate but somewhat extreme choice in description

1 Like

“Your right, no matter how sanitized my comments are, posts I have made get blocked and others make same all the time it’s just weird makes no sense, I figured I could beat the algorithm but not so…i do have to agree with Mr Eagle however, if was having this conversation in person would you call people bedwetters ? Maybe in close company, to a stranger ? does not offend me, it’s slightly accurate but somewhat extreme choice in description”.

Hey - I just used some of the language that CURRENT RING COMMUNITY NEIGHBORS HAVE USED & WILL APPARENTLY CONTINUE TO BE ALLOWED TO USE!

Oh, would I have “this conversation in person would you call people bedwetters ?”. If the shoe fits - yup. And, to a stranger.

And no one will do anything about it. After all, it’s now a one way world.

YOU can be “insulted”, but don’t you dare respond in kind.

As far as I’m concerned - END OF THREAD.

1 Like

Wow…you consider talking to someone, preferably not at the other end of the internet. like dude, it’s a forum discussing ring cameras, really ? Huge difference between political correctness and bad manners.

1 Like