cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do the ring camera's communicate across my network

Highlighted
New Neighbor

How do the ring camera's communicate across my network

I had a number of opportunities dealing with the support community at Ring (Amazon) and have generally had good experiences, until recently.  I've installed at minimum 4 wired camera's (not to be confused with the confusing elite camera) at my place and they are all connected via Cat 6 ethernet into a POE switch.   I've been trying to get the ring support team to come clean about the communication of these devices across an LAN at a customers home and I've used my own experience to illustrate.  My topology:  AT&T 1Gb Internet connection; Google wifi (3 puck)  authorized passthrough to the ATT Router;  two switches connected (24 port PoE) (48 Port Managed Linsys w/sfp) - All cameras, to include NVR are connected to the PoE;  All other LAN traffic via 48 port; PoE is uplinked to 48 port .

Where is the traffic from the LAN connected ring cam's ?  My first thought was that it should be identified on the PoE, however, I'm only seeing power supplied by the PoE and that traffic is minimum.  However, coming across the Google wifi, I see all of the ring cam's and all of the traffic, WHY? 

Is this the reason for replacing the Wired cam's with the PoE Elite that has the PoE injector ?  Is the current wired cam's not pushing data across the ethernet port ?  By adding a PoE injector with the Elite camera, are you able to drive data via the ethernet ?  Why not recommend the use of a PoE switch and re-route traffic via L2 ?

Does any of you all have additional questions ?