Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To: Tag Someone in a Post

Highlighted
Community Manager

How To: Tag Someone in a Post

1.  Type the "@" symbol.
  2. A drop down will appear with the username of all neighbors included in that thread.
  3. Select the username of the neighbor you would like to tag.
    1. Continue typing the username to see more options beyond the thread participants.

Final Tagged.2019-05-31 14_32_21.gif

Please let us know what else you would like to learn about the Community in the comments below!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Re: How To: Tag Someone in a Post

Any thoughts on how to do this on mobile? None of those options exist when viewing the mobile website version of the board.

So my @Riley_Ring doesn't drop anything down for me to choose an actual tag. Can the text formatting and tagging be added to the mobile version of the website? Or if it can be done manually using html — <b>testing bold html tag here</b> or if markdown works — *this would italicized if the board uses markdown*, or if neither of those work, maybe there's another "language" used entirely?

I'm rarely responding from my PC so having a way to do this on mobile would be nice.

Going to test some other random formatting codes from different platforms for any results:

<blockquote>blockquote, used by Disqus</blockquote>

_old google+ way of adding bold_

But I doubt any of these will work, but I'll know in a few seconds. Here goes...
Highlighted
New Neighbor III

I guess that answers that. No formatting that I can figure seems to work on mobile. Even viewing the desktop site I get the editing tools, but the @ "drop down" doesn't appear. 

So maybe if the forum can be made a little more mobile friendly since mobile traffic is half of all internet traffic. 

Thanks! 

@abqnm wrote:
Any thoughts on how to do this on mobile? None of those options exist when viewing the mobile website version of the board.

So my @Riley_Ring doesn't drop anything down for me to choose an actual tag. Can the text formatting and tagging be added to the mobile version of the website? Or if it can be done manually using html — <b>testing bold html tag here</b> or if markdown works — *this would italicized if the board uses markdown*, or if neither of those work, maybe there's another "language" used entirely?

I'm rarely responding from my PC so having a way to do this on mobile would be nice.

Going to test some other random formatting codes from different platforms for any results:

<blockquote>blockquote, used by Disqus</blockquote>

_old google+ way of adding bold_

But I doubt any of these will work, but I'll know in a few seconds. Here goes...

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @abqnm - thanks for your input. If you take a look at our Welcome to the Ring Community  post, you'll see we are still working on perfecting the mobile site. We appreciate your patience while we get that up and running. 

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

When I type in "@," no drop down appears. This is on a firefox and waterfox classic on Windows 10.  Any suggestions?

The only way I can get a tag to work is to "Quote" and then copy and paste the username, which is not ideal....

Thanks!

@Riley_Ring wrote:
  1.  Type the "@" symbol.
  2. A drop down will appear with the username of all neighbors included in that thread.
  3. Select the username of the neighbor you would like to tag.
    1. Continue typing the username to see more options beyond the thread participants.

Final Tagged.2019-05-31 14_32_21.gif

Please let us know what else you would like to learn about the Community in the comments below!

Highlighted
Community Manager

@meme are you trying to tag someone in an original post or in an existing post ? Could you give us a more in depth example? We tried on Firefox and Windows 10 and it seemed to work for us, so we'd love to get a better understanding of what is going on for you! 

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

@Jennifer_Ring

For example, I tried to reply to your post here.  When I type in "@" nothing happens. Even when I type in "@j" I don't get a drop-down. I just tried it in  Chrome, and nothing happens either.

What am I missing...?

@Jennifer_Ring wrote:

@meme are you trying to tag someone in an original post or in an existing post ? Could you give us a more in depth example? We tried on Firefox and Windows 10 and it seemed to work for us, so we'd love to get a better understanding of what is going on for you! 

Highlighted
Community Moderator

Thank you for the update, and for covering all bases @meme! It sounds like you are performing the user mention steps properly.  Keep in mind, the mention function will only work in the Rich text field. When replying/ posting, you will have three tabs to choose from for the body, a Rich Text tab, HTML tab, and a Preview tab.  Please ensure the "Rich Text" tab is selected, and try this again. Please let us know how this goes! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
New Neighbor

@Jennifer Ring...your suggestion to use Search at the top... on my phone there is no Search Bar At The Top...not in any message. Not top not side however at the bottom as I type a reply to you I see two option boxes. On the left is Browse... and to the right an option box labeled No files selected

(I am not going to use them now as it may remove this text...).

Testing texting :-)