Detecton

If I arm ring to away mode while I’m in my house, will it set off alarm if it detects me with sensors?

@jritoli wrote:
If I arm ring to away mode while I’m in my house, will it set off alarm if it detects me with sensors?

Hello @jritoli ,

It depends on your settings. :slight_smile: Let me explain.

Of the three Alarm Modes, “Disarmed”, “Home”, and “Away” only the two modes of “Home” and “Away” are armed modes capable of setting off the alarm. In these two Armed modes, it all depends which sensors you have enabled in each. For example, if in both “Home” and “Away” modes you only enable a single window Contact sensor, then you’ve made both “Home” and “Away” identical and selecting either of these modes will have the same result: Alarm sounds only if that window is opened. So, for your question, it depends which sensors you’ve enabled to trigger in your “Away” mode, and you could be inside your house with “Away” armed, and just fine as long as you don’t open that one window of my example.

Typically, many people enable their two armed modes with the Contact Sensors enabled and Motion Sensors not enable, for the “Home” Mode. That way, as long as you remain inside the house (at Home), you’ve formed a ‘protective barrier’ around your house and still are free to roam about without a Motion Sensor triggering the alarm. When you depart the house and everyone is Away, most people configure their “Away” Mode settings to have ALL Contact and Motion sensors enabled, thus detecting Intruders that trigger the ‘protective barrier’ and/or cause movement Motion inside.

To enable/disable which sensors you prefer to have in each Armed Mode :

• Main Menu (the 3 horizontal line icon, upper-left-corner of dashboard) > then select “Devices” > Alarm Base Station > and then select the Contact or Motion sensor > Mode Settings > and toggle whether you want this sensor to trigger or not trigger the alarm in the “Home” and/or “Away” Modes > and finish by selecting “Save” upper-right-corner.

Also the “Placement” setting is important for your sensors. Once armed, the “Placement” designation you set for each sensor will determine if the alarm will immediately go off or delay (for the time you set on the Entry/Exit delay).

• Contact Sensor “Placement” set at:
    • “Main Door”: Uses delay Entry/Exit Time settings.
    • “Secondary Door” or “Window”: No delay. Immediate.
  • Motion Sensor “Placement” set at:
    • “Entryway”: Uses delay Entry/Exit Time settings.
    • “Room”: No delay. Immediate.

To set “Placement” for each sensor:

• Main Menu > “Devices” > Alarm Base Station > and then select the Contact or Motion sensor > select the blue “Gear” icon (upper-right-corner) > Placement > choose Placement designation > “Save” (upper-right-corner).

During arming and disarming, you set a Entry/Exit delay (most use the 30-seconds option) so you can enter or exit and have sufficient time to arm/disarm and enter/exit. On the entryways that you use Placement set as “Main Door” (Contact sensors, and you can have as many “Main Doors” that you want to use, not limited to only one door). And any Motion sensors that can possibly detect movement at these entryways, should have their “Placement” set to “Entryway.”

To set Entry/Exit Delays for “Home” and “Away” Modes:

• Main Menu (the 3 horizontal line icon, upper-left-corner of dashboard) > Settings > at your Location select “Modes” > for Delay choices, pick “Home” and/or “Away” > scroll down to Entry Delay / Exit Delay and then select > Pick your desired time delay > “Save” (upper-right-corner).

So I hope this explains best the initial answer “It Depends” if your sensors will detect you in the armed mode of “Away.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes