cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community 101: Changing Your Avatar

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Community 101: Changing Your Avatar

That could be helpful information in putting in the instructions. Or maybe end the process after submitting the photos with a note that within 24-48 hours (after approval) the photo will be available to crop/adjust/view/use

Highlighted
Community Manager

@Morgan1502 Thank you for the feedback. I talked with the other members in my team, and we went ahead and updated the original post for this thread that has a more detailed note on the approval process and how it can affect your view. Much appreciated, neighbor! Cat Happy

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

There is not an Accept it as a solution button available next to reply. But thank you for quickly answering my questions - approving my photo - and updating the original post so quickly. Hopefully this helps another ring newbie down the line

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I understand that the pictures have to be approved (although I didn't know that the first time I tried - I wish it would say that on the page, not just here)

Now that I have read about the need for approval, I wen tback to try again.  My picture shows up, but when i get to the screen when it asks me to crop it, it is blank (both screens) so I saved it, but no idea if I saved a blank circle, or whether the picture will re-appear once it is approved.  I certainly had no opportunity to crop it

Judy
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Sorry, but this is not made very clear (perhaps overcomplicated?)

When we are asked to upload our image, it should say to wait for approval.  It doesn't say that - it invites us to crop the (now nonexistent) image and save it.

I have to be honest, don't understand the need for approval anyway.  I have been and am the member of countless forums, never come across needing approval for an avatar

Judy
Highlighted
Neighbor II

The reason for approval is that basically the internet is filled with twisted people. I can only imagine the photos we'd see if there was no approval.
Highlighted
Neighbor II

Also, I just checked. I do see my photo I choose to be cropped. If it's too big it may not work. I used a small photo. When I used a larger one it didn't show up. I don't know what the maximum size is or if there is a certain photo format needed. Hopefully someone from Ring will explain in detail.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Most of the Forums I've changed my avatars on, does give you the sizes and formats acceptable, but I couldn't see any mention of that here.  Incidentally, the picture I chose, I have used it as an avatar elsewhere

Judy
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey neighbors! Thanks for following up on this here with us about your avatar that you were wanting to upload for your profile. Please note that all images, even if it's the same image uploaded but then cropped, will need to be approved before it will go live and be available for you to view, as well as others in the Community. This is to ensure that all images being used for a user's profile picture meet our Guidelines for the Community. We try to approve images as soon as we can, but it can take up to 72 hours for your image to be shown and used. 

I appreciate your feedback on the lack of clarity on what image size to use and other limitations you may run into when going through this process. It's recommended that if you're uploading an image for your avatar, we suggest you make it 256 x 144 px to maintain the aspect ratio and to avoid cropping it and wondering if the crop turned out properly. You can only upload a PNG or a JPEG file at this time.

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Thanks for the reply, but I think this info, plus the fact that one needs to wait for approval should be shown on the page where one creates the avatar

Judy