cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community 101: Changing Your Avatar

Highlighted
Community Manager

Community 101: Changing Your Avatar

Welcome to the Ring Community! By now, hopefully you have checked out a few product boards and read our Community Guidelines. Now, let's help you personalize your Community Profile Page!

Your customizable profile, allows you to show off your personality with your fellow neighbors. Here, you can view your badges, tell us what Ring devices you own, and see how much activity you have participated in the Community.  The best way to customize your Ring Community Profile? Changing your avatar! Follow the steps below to update yours:

• Click on your Community username in the top right corner of any page.
  • Select “My Profile”
  • Click the image to the left of your username. See the example from my profile below.

Moderator avator point.png

• Click “Browse”
  • Choose a photo from your computer.
    • Note: A Community member must approve your photo that you would like your Avatar to be before you can preview, crop and adjust the image.  Make sure your chosen photo fits the Community Guidelines. Otherwise, it will not be approved by the Community team. Please allow up to 72 hours for image approvals.
  • Crop it to fit the preview nicely. See the example below.

• Click “Save and Continue”

Now your profile is unique to you! 

Please note: It's recommended that if you're uploading an image for your avatar, we suggest you make it 256 x 144 px to maintain the aspect ratio and to avoid cropping it and wondering if the crop turned out properly. In addition, you can only upload a PNG or a JPEG file at this time.

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Community 101: Changing Your Avatar

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I choose a picture from my iPad but it is sideways.   Is there any way to rotate the picture?

Highlighted
Community Moderator

Good question @CSP196! There is an option to crop when uploading, however, if you are wanting to rotate or edit the image this would be best accomplished on the Ipad, prior to uploading. I hope this helps! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

The problem is with the ring system...my picture is alright until I crop it and Ring turns it sideways!

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Looks like PNG files are not supported? They do load correctly but then they don't work.

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Not working with JPG files either - chorme issue? Will try Edge next.

Highlighted
Community Manager

@su_A_ve your pictures have uploaded. A Community team member must approve them before they are visible. This is stated within the article as well as the green 'success' banner when uploading your photo. Hope this helps! 

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 6.09.40 PM.png

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
New Neighbor

I am unable to size my photo. Nothing is coming up. I have attached an screenshot. I am using a Mac and have tried on Safari 13.1 & Firefox 76.0.1 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @Morgan1502. We require all images to be approved first before you can manage the image and have it appear on your profile. We normally take about 24-48 hours to approve the images to ensure that they are appropriate for the Community. We made sure to go in there for you, and should be able to see the image and adjust it if need be. Thanks for being apart of the Ring Community! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.