Alert sounds missing on my Samsung galaxy s20

The other day before found I out that there was an issue with Ring notifications I uninstalled my app. Unfortunately now all of my Ring doorbell sounds never came back on my phone. For instance, the windchimes or the doorbell sounds as well as the other sounds are not showing up on my phone. Anyone else having this issue?

@Zandarr wrote:

The other day before found I out that there was an issue with Ring notifications I uninstalled my app. Unfortunately now all of my Ring doorbell sounds never came back on my phone. For instance, the windchimes or the doorbell sounds as well as the other sounds are not showing up on my phone. Anyone else having this issue?

Hello @Zandarr ,

I’m just guessing here, but since many devices that were working fine, some were affected and some were not, after the Ring Server issues (29/30 Sept). It is possible your Video Doorbell device was also affected. If you re-installed your App on the 30th, it too might be affected.

There was a wide range of different effects, that include multiple Notifications for no reason, random chiming, inability to connect to “Live View”, motion detection loss or detections different than App settings, changed Chirp Tones, etc. Yes, it seems that if your devices were affected during the time the Ring Servers were having issues, your device may still be acting strange.

To rule out if the Ring Server ‘outage’ and their repairs that might have affected one or more of your Ring devices, first, try briefly removing power for like 30-seconds from any Ring device not acting normally (unplug it from house outlet, or remove the battery). So I would briefly remove the battery from your Doorbell. If it continues to act up, you may have to do a normal reset, by tapping the reset button. If a normal reset doesn’t solve it, try a hard Factory Reset (push and hold the reset button for > 20-seconds) to ‘clear out’ any downloaded firmware to start fresh and it will now download new firmware, and then complete the setup instructions.

Also since your reinstalled you App. You might have to do it again, especially if you did that on the 30th before all the repairs were completed at Ring, if the above steps still don’t fix your issues. Uninstall the App, then turn your phone off and then back on, and re-install the App again. Don’t worry, because your App settings are not stored in your phone, but rather on the Ring “Cloud” email account there, so other than some Alert sound choices, most of your previous settings should stay the same. For others, as for settings on their Ring App that aren’t working as expected (for example, “Motion Alerts” are toggled OFF and yet you are getting text-type Notifications) then toggle that setting ON and then OFF (or vice-a-versa) to ‘re-send’ your settings to the Ring servers. If your camera’s motion detection acts like it has been changed, change those App settings too and save, and then put them back to the way they were prior to 30 September.

Doing this seems to fix most of the devices or App settings that started acting strange on or after 30 September. I got lucky, and simply unplugging my Chime Pro, waiting about 30 seconds, and re-plugged it back in restored my Chime back to it’s normal functioning. Same for my App settings, by re-toggling and/or changing my settings, (hitting “Save” in case where appropriate), including some motion settings, and then changing my settings back the way they were corrected those issues too.

If you already did the above fixes, but did them during the 30th, then retry them again.

If your issues still continue, ruling out the Ring “outage” was the cause, then you should telephone Ring Support:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I hope this remedies your issues too. :slight_smile:

For more details:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Accessories/Ring-Chime-pro-keeps-chiming-in-the-dead-of-the-night/m-p/61796#M2397

Hey @Zandarr ! Available App Alert Tones may vary depending on your device’s operating system and version. If there is a certain App Alert Tone that you are looking for that you no longer have available, I recommend requesting this in our Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature!

Hi there!

Do you have access to the notification sound file? If so, there is a notifications file that you can place “custom” sounds, and once they are in that file they should appear in your sounds listing. Once you get the sound onto your Galaxy, go to the “My Files” app in your Samsung app collection, and select “Internal Storage”. Scroll down, and you will see a “Notifications” folder. You need to move the sound file from where it is currently located (in Downloads probably) into this folder.

Once this is done, go back to your Ring app, and you should find the sound available to use.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Yes I am having the same problem I’ve just brought a Samsung S20 and I can not get the ring ringtone or notification to work on my phone I’ve uninstalled it about 5 times thinking I’ve done something wrong but I can see there’s more than On-One person with this problem.ring can you sort it out plz

Hi @Lloyd1. This Community thread here goes over this topic. In this thread, you’ll find a solution that has helped many fellow neighbors. I hope this helps!

I had a similar issue when I switched from my Note20 to the 24 Ultra. None of the Ring notification sounds were an option to even choose from. Luckily i still had my old phone and hadnt traded it in yet because i ended up going into my samsung files in found the audio folder andall the Ring doorbell notification sounds were in there so I was able to hit copy and send them to my new phone through quick share and then just had to put them in the adio folder on my new phone and they were then available for me to choose as an option for notification types in the ring app. If you dont have a device with these already on it to copy from you might be able to find them on the internet and store them on your phone that way to be able to choose them as an option.