16v 10vac

I have a Ring doorbel pro that was installed a little over a week ago. Everything works fine but I am concerned that based on comments from other blogs that having a transformer with only 16v 10 va will eventually fry my doorbell. I called support and they said that I have enough power. I just bought a 16 v 30va but will not install until next week if I need to. Help!

1 Like

Hey @Zandarr ! Our Ring Pro requires a power supply between 16VAC and 24VAC to operate as intended. A 16V 10VA rated transformer is fine to use, however, it’s important to consider the age/ length of wiring, number of chime kits, and other factors such as resistance. An older chime kit or thin of wiring might not deliver voltage efficiently enough and so a more powerful transformer would be needed.

A 16V 30VA transformer will certainly do the trick, if you find that your current configuration is not providing enough power. Take a look at our help center article, which shares insight on common concerns, and ways to prevent low power situations. Let us know if you have any further questions :slight_smile:

Thank you for getting back to me. I feel a lot better now

1 Like

I hardwired my ring doorbell this evening. I also have the 16V 10 transformer. At first mine would light up a white or maybe super light blue solid ring but not charge. I switched the wires and it has the same light but says its charging… i read that the light is normal to do this because its in idle mode but only when its hardwired. Is this true? It says charging and has the light, all other functions are working but i also manually charged it inside before hardwiring. Any help is appreciated!

Very confusing Ring directions.
For the Ring Doorbell Pro you will need a 16 - 24 VAC 30ma transformer.
Or you can use a 24 VDC transformer - BUT only the Ring Plugin Adapter (24 VDC) will work for this???
?? "it’s important to consider the age… of wiring, and other factors such as resistance. ??

I want to use the Ring Doorbell Pro without a chime.
It can be direct wired - or use the Pro Power Kit - or must use a 25 ohm wire wound resistor ??

Which is the best?
What does the Pro Power Kit do? that is - what is it?

How does anyone find their way around this?
I’m a qualified electrician and a graduate of electronics technology and the help website just doesn’t make sense to me.

Normally, Ring product requires AC voltage. Now, ring claim that the 24 VDC also works with door bell.

If you wire the plug in adapter or a 16 Vac /30VA transformer, you do not need the Pro Power kit. The pro power kit is needed when you have an exisiting door chime. If you were to draw schematic, the chime is in series with the old push button that ring the chime. Now the ring is connected instead of the push button, so it will charge as the current goes thru the coil of the chime. If the coil is too " resistive", you may not get enough voltage at the ring door bell. Hence you would connect the Pro Power Kit in // with the chime to allow more current / voltage to go through. Therefore you do not need the Pro Power Kit when directly powering the Door Bell Pro to the power supply or 16 V transformer.

Some old door bell did requires a resistor when directly connected to the 16 V transformer. I recall I had to do this a few year ago for a customer. (had order a Ring resistor Kit). Those resistors are not required anymore.