iOS - Ring Peephole - Motion Alert keeps turning off

Same here just got and set it up yesterday and the Motion Alert setting continually shuts off. Not sure if the Rapid Ring App will still detect motion or not when the main Ring App disables.

So frustrating. We pay good money for these devices and they don’t work properly. If I don’t get a notification this device becomes useless. Does ring read these messages? Or do we have to contact them a different way?

2 Likes

Yeah I’m having the same exact issue. It’s driving me crazy. Even if I don’t force close the app it still happens. Happens on both my iPad and iPhone. It sucks as the camera has helped me but it will not help me without the proper notifications. I will return all my ring stuff if they can’t get this basic feature right.

I feel like it’s happening even more now that I’ve integrated a secondary ring alarm at my business. I turned off motivations on those wired cameras which don’t seem to have the same issue though.

It happens literally every time I force quit. I doubt you need video for proof as it’s happening on all my iOS devices. you know you could just listen to the multiple complaints or Just do it yourself…

Terrible answer.

Door View Cam

It is a good piece of hardware ONLY if the software works properly.

These are my observation after having ii installed for few months,

• The so called “knocks” never worked for me, the technical guys could not come up with a solution,

had to disable it. A delivery van almost always use to activate the motion alerts ( when stayed on)

• The motion zone not accurate, ie when some one enters the zone, the motion alerts not activated till

the person has passed my drive way and reached the front door then pressing the door bell….

• not able to customised the motion zone accurately as I can with the flood security cam….

• The motion alert has mind of its own, keeps disabling itself….

• there is always a delay watching the alert video despite having an excellent broadband, by the time I

manage that, the person has disappeared…

• Very poor technical help…

I can go on and on, but time does not permit me to do so.

I feel if the issues are nor resolved, have to return all the Ring products and ask for full refund.

3 Likes

Update: still the same issues. I looked at their system status for past incidents and it looks like they logged this as a known issue back on December 16th but it also is marked as “resolved” now, which based on all our replies here, is certainly not the case. I’ve attached the screenshot In addition to keeping this thread alive, I think we should all be contacting support directly (through their chat, calling etc) and hopefully they will update this glaring defect in the software/app.

Sorry to hear about this concern, neighbors. We have shared this information with the appropriate teams, in detail, for further investigation.

I recommend trying the steps from my prior response in this thread if you have not already. In addition to uninstalling and reinstalling the app, please also ensure Bluetooth, VPN, and/ or Hotspots are disabled.

Of course, feel free to share any steps that worked for you as our other neighbors might benefit from it. As always, our support team is happy to assist and take an in-depth look at your concern, at 800-656-1918.

Ring Door Peephole View Cam
It is a good piece of hardware ONLY if the software works properly!!!

Here are my observations after having it installed for a month

• The so called “knock sensor” never worked for me, the technical guys could not come up with a solution, I had to disable it. A delivery van almost always used to activate the motion alerts ( when it stayed on)

• The motion zone is not accurate, i.e/ when some one enters the zone, the motion alerts are not activated till the person has passed my drive way and reached the front door then pressing the door bell….

• I am not able to customize the motion zone accurately as I can with my WYZE flood security cam….

• The motion alert has a mind of its own, it keeps disabling itself as soon as I exit the app. (It happens every time I force quit or exit the app; it is the same way on all my iOS devices. iPhone 5s/iPad/iPad Pro etc. )

• There is always a delay watching the alert video despite having an excellent broadband, by the time I manage that, the person has disappeared… (once someone stole my package from in front of my house and I could not tell who did it because of this stupid delay.)

• Very poor or nonexistent technical help…

This issue is driving me crazy. Even if I don’t force close the app it still happens on both my iPad and iPhone. This sucks as it renders the camera useless without the proper notifications. I will have no other option but to return all my ring stuff and ask for a full refund if they can’t get this basic feature right. I should actually get compensated for this security breach. I feel that ring doesn’t care about their customers or about fixing this issue as long as they make their sales quota.

This is so frustrating. We pay good money for these devices and they don’t work properly. ( my Amazon package got stolen and I couldn’t tell who did it.) If I don’t get a notification this device becomes useless. Does ring read these messages? Or do we have to contact them a different way?

Update: I have tried every trick in the book and Still the same, no fix yet!! , I looked at their system status for past incidents and it looks like they logged this as a known issue back on December 16th 2019; but it is also marked as “resolved” now, but based on all our replies on the forums, this certainly is not the case. I think we should all be contacting support directly (through their chat, calling etc…) and hopefully they will update this glaring defect in the software/app.

3 Likes

1 star review incoming.

None of that helps, unfortunately. My other cameras and systems have no issues. It’s exclusively my ring peephole camera. Seems even worse now that I bought more ring stuff. Hopefully you fix it before I have to return it.

1 Like

Thank you Marley. As you can see, there are lots of concerned customers having the same issues with motion being turned off randomly. Hopefully a solution can be found in a timely manner since it only appears to be affecting iOS users currently.

1 Like

I have been having the same problem and came here looking for a solution. Very disappointed to find out that your support team knows of this issue, has marked it as “resolved”, but has yet to take care of this issue.

I will not be recommending this product and will be giving my recent purchase a very bad review on Amazon if this isn’t fixed swiftly.

1 Like

Update: I contacted ring support and the agent told me the same steps so I told her I’ve already done those many times and that they need to escalate it. She assured me she has, but I feel more people need to be contacting them directly (either via tried live chat which is what I did or phone). The more tickets they have in their customer support system, the more likely it will be flagged as an issue in their system again. Hopefully they will take this seriously as it renders the entire ring device useless and get a fix for this ASAP. I was excited to finally get a ring device that I could have in an apartment setting since we cannot modify the existing doorbell but it was pretty disappointing that the ring app doesn’t work properly.

1 Like

Again the exact same thing happened to me she (the CSR) gave me some nonsense telling me to make sure that motion delay is not set an all kinds of stuff that I already tried they don’t seem to believe that this is an issue that they’re having and they don’t wanna escalate it. It seems that the only solution is just to return this junk back and give them a one star review, that’s what I told her I’m going to do and she didn’t even care

1 Like

Does the Rapid Ring App help alleviate this or are the 2 apps linked?

The Rapid Ring app seems to have helped me. Installed about one week ago. The settings appear to override the Ring app. Still testing, but my motion hasn’t turned off so far.

Some others did, but did not resolve the issue for them. I’m trying the rapid ring app now (about 12 hours) Seems to not be losing its setting yet. Ring app already has after re-enabling it. Hope this fixes it!

I just realized my motion alerts keep turning off as well. Tried all of the suggestions posted here but still not working.

Very disappointing!

Ring, please fix this issue!

1 Like

They will never fix it and they will never admit guilt I have tried, believe me I have tried I have sent them a detailed video of The problem and they just don’t care

https://youtu.be/SGKcMpjij0c

As a couple of others suggested, I downloaded the Rapid Ring app and it has helped tremendously. The main ring app doesn’t turn off motion alerts nearly as often… (but it still does which it shouldn’t at all) however having the rapid ring app will still alert me even if the main ring app disabled the motion alerts automatically. Obviously this is just a temporary solution and might now work for everyone so they still need to fix the issue but as BenHawy suggested they don’t seem to care much or not want to fix this issue, at least in a timely matter.

1 Like