app crashes after requesting live video

After the last update, the app crashes when trying to view live video (screen freezes and then closes).

Have you tried uninstalling, power phone off and on, the reinstall the app yet?

1 Like

Hi Eagle328, thanks for your quick response!.

Yes, I have tried all that. I think it’s a bug from the last update but I don’t know where to report it.

Hi @Betunio, happy to chime in here. Have you checked to make sure your phone’s OS is fully updated? Additionally, what is the make and model of your smartphone?

Hi Caitlyn,

I’m having an issue with live view as well, not sure if it’s the new update, or upgrading to Android 11. But live view no longer works. The moment i open it up, it loads the screen for a second but closes immediately and brings me back to the Ring App’s main menu.

1 Like

What Ring device is having the issue? I now have Android 11 running on my Pixels. I may be able to recreate it. Let me know.

2 Likes

Forgot to add. If this is an app issue I can give a link to the last version of Ring if I find it works with Android 11.

1 Like

I have the Ring Doorbell Pro. and yup, I’m also running it on a Pixel 3.

Great. I have a 3A XL and a 4A. I also have the pro doorbell. I’ll check it when I get off work.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve tried this using the 3.30.0 Ring app on my Pixel 3a and 4a running Android 11 using my Ring Pro doorbell. I don’t have the same issue. It works fine for me. I do see a problem with my outdoor stickup cam latest version on the dashboard. It shows it as offline but in the device section it works fine. Other than that I don’t see anything else wrong so far. It may be another app that is conflicting with the Ring app. You could also try removing that version and downloading the last version from apkmirror.com.

1 Like

Here’s a list of apps that can cause issues with the Ring app.
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005889983-Android-Apps-that-Conflict-with-the-Ring-App

Here’s the link for the last version of Ring.
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/ring-com/ring-always-home/ring-always-home-3-29-1-release/ring-always-home-3-29-1-android-apk-download/

3 Likes

Yesterday I did tests on two different devices (Motorola and Samsung S7). In both cases the problem persisted. In the end, install the app “rapid ring” with which I can watch live without problems while I look for if I have any apps installed that have conflict with rings.
regards!!

I think I know what is causing the problem. Today I turned off the “event history timeline” functionality and I was able to get the live view back. I hope that for you it is also the “solution”.

regards!

3 Likes

Woah, that’s weird. I had to enable history timeline to get live view to work. But at least it works now. Thanks! In the meantime, I’ll wait till they update the app again.

That was the solution!! Thanks!! I´ve been unable to fix it until now!! I´m using a peephole camera with galaxy note 10 plus on Android 10.

It’s been nearly a month since I can’t access to the live view of my cameras. Turning off Event History Timeline it is a useful workaround , but it’s a great feature to leave it off. I hope the upcoming update will bring the solution. I’m using a Galaxy S20 with Android 10, and I’m available if you need crash reports or other info. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi all - I’m having the same problem (app freezes/crashes when accessing live feed). It used to be frequent (freeze only) but now it’s constant (crashes and exits) since upgrading to Android 11 (Pixel 2). I would consider the “solution” in this thread a workaround but I’m new to the Ring community so I can’t see the status. For clarity: I have checked Wi-Fi settings, bandwidth, etc and all are fine. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app. I also do not have a watch connected which seemed to be the problem in another thread. I really need this functionality so hoping this is under investigation by the Ring team. Thanks

1 Like

Hey neighbors! If you’re still experiencing concerns with the Ring App crashing and you’ve tried the basic troubleshooting steps suggested in this thread, it would be best for you to contact our support team directly. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

Im having the same problem with the app crashing every time attempting to use live video - I have never gotten it working. The videos show afterwards in the timeline though. I have tried to reinstall the app, reset the device, re connect to the wifi, nothing helps.

And Im in the Ivory Coast in West Africa so it is prohibitively expensive to call from here (unless you can use whatsapp or something). Any chance of getting help via chat? Thanks.

I was having the same problem since around November as well- live view stopped working and would crash the app the second try -After some research today i turned off the integrated google VPN and that fully resolved my issues.