Windows 10 App Update to Version 2.3.10 Breaks Live View, RIng Doorbell Pro

I’m a brand new Ring customer. Just set up my first camera today. Android app works fine but the Windows app has the same problem. Dashboard shows updated stills from the camera, but Devices shows a blank gray circle, says “Battery” (when it’s plugged in), has options like “Lights” and “Ring alerts” (when doesn’t have lights and it’s not a doorbell), and clicking any slider button or the Live View or Siren button produces a pop-up window that says “Something went wrong :frowning: Pointer that is not valid”. It was also giving error code 0x80004003. I am also running Windows 10, version 1903 (OS Build 18362.267). I tried resetting the app, running the app troubleshooter, and resetting the app as PJLLB did but it did not work for me, except now the pop-up error message does not include an error code.

1 Like

Well, it’s working fine now. It shows the product in the gray circle and now only has the correct sliders and the buttons all work with no error messages. So anyone else dealing with this, maybe just wait it out?

@JoEbYX wrote:

I’m a brand new Ring customer. Just set up my first camera today. Android app works fine but the Windows app has the same problem. Dashboard shows updated stills from the camera, but Devices shows a blank gray circle, says “Battery” (when it’s plugged in), has options like “Lights” and “Ring alerts” (when doesn’t have lights and it’s not a doorbell), and clicking any slider button or the Live View or Siren button produces a pop-up window that says “Something went wrong :frowning: Pointer that is not valid”. It was also giving error code 0x80004003. I am also running Windows 10, version 1903 (OS Build 18362.267). I tried resetting the app, running the app troubleshooter, and resetting the app as PJLLB did but it did not work for me, except now the pop-up error message does not include an error code.

Suggest you also try running the Windows Store troubleshooter in the Troubleshooting control panel. That’s the step that initially fixed the problem with the “pointer” error.

You’re seeing the same thing I see when the app does not work. It’s as if the app thinks I have a security camera instead of a Ring Doorbell Pro.

Just read you update. I wouldn’t be surprised if it breaks again for you but I hope it doesn’t.

Aaaaaand you’re right. It broke again. Mine seems to think my camera is a doorbell.

When it was working, the option to record with motion wasn’t syncing with the Android app. I turned it off in the Windows app and it still recorded with motion. Quite buggy. I guess I’ll just control things with Android and use Windows just to download mp4’s.

1 Like

The common denominator: The app isn’t correctly recognizing the device.

1 Like

Exact same thing happened to me under Win10 (HP Laptop, wanting to connect with my RingPro device) after initial install of the Ring app and logging in. I saw similar controls that made no sense (“SIREN”?), and could not access Live View at all.

Am not at that PC right now or would happily report version number and take steps to resolve, but didn’t have the time over the weekend to deal with it. Did at least try logging out and back in, and clicking UPDATE in the App Store thingy, but no improvement.

At least I took screenshots to share here, not realizing others were having the same issue(s):

Screenshot_1 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/sBA7Fm3WGEVULj8n6

Screenshot_2 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/r5d2mY4wuKiyRQM66

Hello,

i had the same issue and found a way to fix it.

1. Open the app and go to devices and move all sliders to “ON” state. Yes you will get the error message for every slider you move to “ON” but don’t care.

2. Log out of the App and close it.

3. Open App again and Log back in.

Now you should see your ring doorbell in your devices again and it should also be possible to activate live view.

That’s how I managed to get it working again.

Good luck!

1 Like

Sadly this didn’t work for me.

When I initially installed the windows 10 app it didn’t work, but I left it running. Strangely enough, when something triggered the doorbell pro it sent a notification and then everything was fine - until I restarted the PC. After restarting I had the issue again.

It worked for me, first try! I made sure to follow ALL the steps (including logging out, closing the app, and logging back in…). At first glance, the UI still seemed ‘wrong’ but then corrected itself after a few seconds, so be patient.

Good luck!

NOTE: The problem cropped up on TWO DIFFERENT computers, which suggests it’s not the PC or the OS, but the updated app itself.

I’m having this exact same problem on one computer, but I decided to check and see if would work on my wife’s computer, which is a few years older, and it works perfectly.

The restart suggestion has not worked for me.

It’s definintely an app issue. I bought the Ring video pro to help my 82 year old dad feel more secure. He’s seen my struggles trying to make this work… make your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyU7SkpBbmo

Found a video that fixes the error code! It works now. I had to log out and log back in after restart. The video has 3 solutions. The first one worked.

@airair wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyU7SkpBbmo

Found a video that fixes the error code! It works now. I had to log out and log back in after restart. The video has 3 solutions. The first one worked.

The video is simply a command line fix for the control panel troubleshooting for the Windows Store that I mentioned in an earlier post.

This is clearly not a Windows Store issue – it’s a Ring App issue. After having been responded to by a Ring emplyee early on, Ring has now gone silent since mid-day last Friday. If they can’t reproduce the problem, it appears there are plenty of customer out there that have. We’ve given then a lot of information on our troubleshooting and work arounds. We could at least use an update from Ring on what’s going on.

I fear we’re getting a bit superstitious. It’s an intermittent problem, and people are posting on here the last thing they did when it got “fixed.”

If I click Devices, on the left, instead of the video image it works or I need to restart the app.

Thank you all for sharing your observations and assisting one another with suggestions. To further assist in resolving this, when everyone has a moment, please try the following:

1. Adjust the app to mobile view on your screen (rather than normal or wide screen)

2. Once app is open in mobile view, tap on device list icon from side panel (rather than selecting device from dashboard)

3. Select live view

Hope this helps, certainly looking forward to the results!

I have no idea what you mean by mobile view. There is no such thing in the Windows app.

I don’t know what Mobile View is either, but that is exactly what I said. Click Devices first.

I think he means make sure you are on full screen rather than a smaller window. A reduced screen buries the menu on the left

Mine seems to be working OK now. Maybe the new version just needed to ripen. :slight_smile:

To clarify the mobile view portion of those steps, it is referencing the most compact window view available covering 1 tile per row, versus maximized view or normal view which show much more.

@airair You are correct this would cover the side panel, but also might display more options if any are missing in maximized view. Also thank you for sharing the side panel method with us!