Turn off 2 factor Authentication

The on/off setting for 2FA is only for txt 2FA, not for web access. Web access is not viable for me anymore. My office does not allow personal cell phones, so txt is not an option. I also cannot access personal email, web mail blocked, so an e-mail 2FA is not possible. This means I cannot access my RING dorbell at work at all. Other 2FA systems (MS is one) allow you to pre-set more than one e-mail or phone #, which can be selected when you try to log in. They offer obfuscated versions of the destination, and make you fill in the blanks, and thenb, if the provided info matches what is on file, they snd the code there. You could preset a work and personal e-mail, choose the appropriate one and get a code sent there. In this way uyou would need to not only know what e-mail you had provided, but also have access to that e-mail. Same for phone numbers. RING has not at this point provided this flexibility, which makes RING completely unusable for me at work. I don’t think it is that unusual for personal phones, or personal e-mail to be dissallowed at work. If you work in any sort of secure environment, this is common. RING’s 2FA, while having good intent, has not been adequately thought through. One option for RING would be to only require 2FA on web access once from a sepecific workstation. It could store an IP and set that for authorized access for a period of time, month, quarter, etc. That way I would only need to verify the WS (my work PC) once, though that is still painfull. I would need to involve a third party to retrieve and provide the ‘one-time’ code. My response will likely be to change systems to Arlo, which does now have a video doorbell.

3 Likes