Ring Windows App

Hi, since having to re-install windows 10 on my system, the Ring app has disappeared. Windows store reports “you own this app” but attempting to download/install just stops with an error, Code: 0x8024801E. I’m guessing the re-install left bits of the original installation in place but I can’t run it or find how to un-install as it doesn’t appear in the windows/settings/list of apps.

Hi @millenium_cowboy! This is certainly an odd occurrence to hear of. If the Ring app is not showing in your apps list, please check the “this PC” section for any Ring app files that might be saved there. Visiting the app store and installing the Ring app should still work as intended. Try also visiting a web browser and typing Ring.com/app to prompt the latest app download.

Please also ensure that VPN is disabled on this device. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hi, I can’t find any Ring app files on my HDD. The Ring app doesn’t show in my list of Apps. If I go to Ring.com/app I eventually end up at the Windows Store which says I own the App but when I try to install, it stops with an error. I don’t have a VPN installed. Can you tell me what registry keys are involved so I can delete them?

Thanks

@millenium_cowboy Are you comfortable using Powershell? This seems to be a common problem with the Microsoft store.

Give this a shot if you’re comfortable doing so:

Reset the update components:
Open cmd prompt/powershell with admin & enter:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits

Restart the PC & try updating again.
If this fails/doesn’t correct the problem then click start, run, type regedit & click enter & find: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
Try deleting the entries WUServer and WIStatusServer in the right pane if they’re there, if not don’t worry.

Info pasted from here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/forum/all/erro-code-0x8024801e/09daca40-38c8-43d1-a93f-d52096be3fd1

1 Like