Ring App on the Mac - High Energy Usage

Hello,

After updating from 2.5.0 to 2.6.0 I have been experiencing extremely high CPU usage from the Ring app. I am on MacOS Cataline 10.15.4 (19E287) with a 2019 16" MBP. This is happening even when the app is not in use.

Thanks,

Greg

4 Likes

Have the same issue on MacBook Pro 2018 and MacBook Air 2011. The fan is always on when Ring is running.

Exactly the same on 2015 Mac Air Running High Sierra,

Computer running hot due to high CPU usage and automatic notification live views very slow to start up automatically compared to what they used to, by the time the camera shows what has been picked up its already already over.

It’s currently using 31% of CPU.

Hopefully a quick update will fix this…?

1 Like

Hello

With the latest update my macbook2011 is running very hot and cpu and energy usage is so high. Enery impact is 100. avg energy impat is 68. CPU usage is 55%. cpu time is 2hrs vs 1hr for chrome. the worst part is i get all the tones of motion on phone and computer but iam having upload issues with video and last week i probably had 600 motion sounds but could only get a video about 3% of those motion signals. i find if my upload speed on router goes below 13mbps i have real problems uploading videos from cameras, if iam getting 26 and over it works fairly well, but cox varies so much these days i was out of town for 5 days and i couldnt see camera but one time out of about 500 notifications and couldnt check my upload speeds from out of town so i couldnt use the ring, so its useless if internet slows, as far as i can tell. now with high temps and battery usage iam about to yank the whole 600.00 worth off the walls, id never recommend ring . The system is sketchy at best times and its really gotten on my nerves lately. plus i have ring extender and it still works poorly

1 Like

I’m having the same issue.

After upgrading to 2.5.0 (785), Ring app on macOS 10.15.5 has extremely high CPU usage (frequently reported as around 99% on Activity Monitor) even when the Ring app is not in use.

My iMac has a 4.2 Ghz Core i7 processor. Under normal conditions, Ring uses 0-2% CPU when not in use and 5-15% CPU when actively viewing the camera. The problem is temporarily fixed when quitting the app and reopening it, but it eventually goes back to high CPU usage and causes the CPU fan to run high constantly after leaving the app running for a while.

I’m getting high CPU on Macbook Pro 15" 2017 running 10.13.6. Just starting happening with the new app update.

Same here on Mac Mini 2018, noticed that it was getting really hot after installing the Ring app yesterday. Activity monitor shows constant CPU load in Ring app of around 27%. Deleted the software, would much appreciate when this issue is sorted out.

Just FYI I emailed ring support and they have an automated response saying their support is not handling any email support requests, only phone calls right now, don’t expect this issue to be fixed any time soon. If anyone can find version 2.5.1 I think that is the latest working version.

Hey neighbors! Thank you for pointing out this concern on the Community. I have made sure to flag this with the appropriate teams who are urgently working on a hot fix for this. They are keeping me updated during the testing process to ensure that we have a fix for this to avoid this concern. I will make sure to update this thread as soon as this is fixed to ensure you do not have this continued high usage on the Mac. In the meantime, I recommend ensuring you force close the app after using it to try to avoid this high usage. Thank you for your patience in the meantime, neighbors!

2 Likes

Same issue with MacBook Pro

Same issue here as well on a 2019 16" MBP with maxed out specs.

Same problem here.

The Ring App uses 50% CPU regardless of whether it is in use or iconized.

MacBook Pro (2014), MacOs Catalina 10.15.5

Exact same issues as described by everyone else in the thread. Macbook Pro 15-inch, 2019. The app has became practically useless now that it can’t be running all the time, unless I want to restart it every 5 minutes.

Where is the DEV response on this issue? Are they even acknolwedging this issue? How did it make it through testing with these kinds of problems?

Hey neighbors! Just got an update from my team and they have confirmed there is a fix in place for this concern. We are slowly rolling out this fix, as it was a hot fix created to address this as soon as possible. We should have this fully rolled out by the end of the month, but I will update you if anything changes. If you find you have gotten this update in the coming weeks, please feel free to share how the improvements made have helped the high energy usage! Thank you for your patience and help here, neighbors. :slight_smile:

Two weeks and still no fix?? Constantly having to restart the app to stop my fan running full blast.

Version 2.6.1 is on the App Store for me and seems to have resolved this issue

Hey neighbors! The hotfix should fully rolled out to all of our neighbors and you should see relief on the 2.6.1 version of the Ring app for the Mac OS. If you are not seeing any relief with the current Ring app you have, please remove the app from your computer, restart your computer and then reinstall the app.

@emmar Please give this above suggestion a try and let me know if you find relief in that.

@shadowssong Thank you for providing this feedback and happy to hear it’s working well for you. :slight_smile:

My MacBook Pro is too hot to have on my lap with Ring operating. When the app shuts down, computer cools off. This needs to be fixed. I see you have been aware of this for awhile. Any update on when the fix is coming or if you are even working on it.

Hey @jlucas. As Chelsa stated, the hotfix should be fully rolled out to all of our neighbors and you should see relief on the 2.6.1 version of the Ring app for the Mac OS. If this concern is still occurring for you, please remove the Ring app from your computer, restart your computer and then reinstall the Ring app. Let me know how that works out for you! :slight_smile: