Ring App Feature Request

Great info, neighbors! We’re going to combine this with our App Feature Request board :slight_smile:

Badge notifications for the Ring App would be super helpful!

3 Likes

It would be nice if while setting up motion zones, you had the ability to setup a “time on delay trigger” for recording in a zone. For example, my camera is on my house atop a hill so it is angled down my driveway. The road passes in front of my house so I have 1 motion zone setup to cover my front yard without detecting passing cars. My problem is, if someone comes from the side to my front porch or on the landing, they aren’t always detected. I can’t extend “zone 1” to cover the area in “zone 2” because a passing car will activate my camera in the short time they are in the area. In the attached picture, you see 2 separate zones. It would be nice if when a zone is created, you can set a time for motion to be detected before it activates recording. It would be something like Zone 1 time on delay of 0ms, Zone 2 time on delay of 1500ms. This way the user could customize what motion starts a recording.

I just installed GE Z-Wave light switches and added the same to Ring App and Alarm system.

Two feature requests.

1. Ability to schedule lights On or Off , tied to Sunset-Sunrise or specific times.

2. The status (On-Off) under the Devices list and Dashboard. For example the Lock shows the status (Locked or Unlocked) and can be controlled through the Dashboard itself. The lights on the other hand, one has to navigate -Dashboard - Alarm - Device List - Individual Lights screen to find out whether it is On or Off.

3. An ability to customize the Dashboard and add/remove items and organize.

Thank you.

#1 feature need for me is with regards to recordings. All me, per camera, to enable motion alerts and records based on the security system’s armed/disarmed status.

Yes, I want the doorbell to record all the time.

No, I do not want the driveway camera to alert/record all the time, only when the system is armed.

No, I do not want my stick-up camera in the playroom to alert/record all the time, only when the system is armed.

etc., etc.,

Thanks!

Hello,

Probably a common suggestion - I would like to be able to see a thumbail of motion recordings in my Ring App so I don’t have to load each one to even determine if its worth looking at.

Its quite time consuming to open each recording only to see a pet or car trigger a motion. Would rather just be able to delete these from a thumbail.

4 Likes

I just recently bought the Ring floodlight cams and doorbell set. I’ve installed the floodlight cams but I still use my Nest door bell because Nest shows image preview in the notication bar/ popups/Apple Watch when there is motion unlike Ring. Can you please add this feature. The ability to use see preivew with out opening is a game chager!

5 Likes

The Neighboorhoods app could benefit from better filtering and confirmation of posts before they go live. I know, this is probably super difficult but below are my reasons why. Lately I’ve found the Neighboorhoods part of Ring to be less and less useful because the signal to noise ratio is getting worse.

I’m running into a problem where there are so many false alarms or frivolous posting where it’s hard to know what is real and what isn’t. It seems like people are using it like a social network.

Specifically, I get posts asking if anyone knows whats going on down the street. Or “I heard a loud boom, anyone else here that?”

The worst right now is the constant reports of gun shots. If I were to believe the number of posts about shots fired I’d think I was in a war zone. It’s having a “boy who cried wolf” sort of effect in that I don’t take them seriously anymore and that’s going to cause a real event to go ignored when it actually does happen.

Is there a way for Ring to verify posts before they go live? I’d rather have a slighly delayed but confirmed post than a shower of bogus ones that drown out legit concerns.

I’ve taken to reporting these as inappropriate but I don’t like that solution either because I could make a mistake in the opposite direction and flag something that’s legit which is just as bad.

3 Likes

I would like to have the ability to set up two different sensitivity settings, each with their own alert schedule.
For example, I would like to monitor and record a high sensitivity setting, and only be alerted to a people sensitivity setting.

I’d like to have the ability to activate cameras based on my location using geofencing.

I have an indoor camera that I don’t need, or want, active while I’m at home … I’d like it to only be active when I’m away.

Push notofication when Ring gets disconnected/connected.

Keep log information when Ring was disconnected.

This is a crucial feature when we want to use Ring as a security device.

5 Likes

I would prefer using the main event history button because all 5 of my cameras are listed but the problem with that is when I scroll to a certain time frame and watch a clip, then back to the list to watch the next one it immediately goes back up to the top of the list so I have to scroll back down to find the time period again. It does not do this when I go to each individual cameras event history, I can scroll down to a clip, watch it, go back and I am still at the spot where I found the clip. With 5 cameras this really adds time having to go into each camera.

3 Likes

I agree with Rignes, those and animals lost or found are what I am bombarded with. I love animals but I do not think Ring app is the place to post them. I just did a quick check, the last 8 posts were 2 “did anyone hear gunshots”, 1 spray painted house and 5 lost/found pets. There are other alternatives to seek or post lost pets.

It is because of these posts that I don’t even go look when I get an alert anymore.

1 Like

It would be great if you could create different schedules for different zones. Example may be having motion alerts just near the front of your house during the day but having alerts for a bigger zone / zone 2 at night.

3 Likes

I’m planning to have a wall mounted tablet with Ring on it (android). I’d like a setting to ‘auto-open’ ring live feed when motion detected. After a period of time (setting), go back to what was displayed on the screen before… Not sure if it is possible, but I’d find it useful!

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback @apple2e, I moved your request to the feature request board so other neighbors can kudo it if they are interested in this feature as well.

I have my office in the Garage and I have separate wifi chime there.

I need it to work at my working hours and my other home chime to not work at these hours.

Basically some kind of schedule.

This will prevent all family to come from all places at each doorbell ring event.

Please please please … add app controls for volume control and mute to the “playback” of events. POOR USER DESIGN to make the user use overall phone/ring voume buttons to reduce the volume or mute playback of incidents. Often I get events at work, and really just want to view the live or recorded playback, not needing to hear the audio. Surprised this wasn’t just obvious to original app designers. Please???

1 Like

I agree with the thumbnail request. The current issue is that when you click the motion notification, it opens up the camera live view. The problem with this is by the time the camera loads, whatever caused the motion is long gone. Please add thumbnail to show what triggered the motion so we do not have to open the app and wait for the video to upload to the cloud to see it.

10 Likes

My ring cameras (3) are the least connected equipment in my smart home. Perhaps a niche request but the community is eager to develop new features and integration points, all they need is a proper open API (not a super closed ecosystem).

I also would like the ability to access video feeds directly, at least for wired devices (2 wired floodlight cams). The fact that I can’t view a live feed for hours (it times out after a few minutes) makes the otherwise excellent product useless for many application. If I had the ability from the app to enable ONVIF protocol on the LAN, this would bring these cameras to a different level and I’d be the first to buy a few extra ones.

1 Like