Ring App Feature Request

I kudo’ed several suggestions in this thread. I have some further suggestions.

These suggestions are largely in the context of the ring pro, and new ring plug-in indoor cameras.

1. The motion detection algorithms need to be *significantly* better. Right now my doorbell false detects motion every time a yard light turns on and off. Compensation for brightness shift without anything actually moving is something other brands (wyze, foscam, etc) appear to do fairly well with, but ring is terrible about it. Turning the sensitivity down doesn’t seem to help as I end up failing to detect people.

2. I live on a corner lot, and have a lot of problems with cars turning the corner at night sweeping their headlights across my yard, triggering motion and alerts. While I don’t expect ring to prevent the motion detection, I would like to be able to silence alerts at night on a scheduled basis. Right now I can use a motion detection schedule, but that also disables motion triggered recording. This leaves me stuck between not recording anything, even if an intruder walks right up to the front door, or having my phone buzz repeatedly in the middle of the night whenever a car goes by. Yes, I can manually turn alerts off at night and back on in the morning, but clearly alerts could be scheduled too.

3. Related to the car problem: It would be really nice to have two levels of motion zone… one that triggers recording, and another that triggers alerts. This would enable me to record anytime someone moves in the yard (including lots of false alerts from headlights at night) but only trigger an alert in the app if someone walks up to my doorstep. One of my current compromises for the lackings of 1) and 2) is to use a really small motion zone. I’d like to at least record on a larger basis.

4. Sound level triggered recording. This would have to be set with a pretty high threshold, but it would be good to trigger recording if there are really loud sounds nearby (car crash, person screaming, etc), even if there isn’t motion in my motion zones. The Wyzecam inside my garage today documented the time at which the trash truck accelerated hard past my house today without collecting my trash by sound, but isn’t positioned to see the street. My ring doorbell recorded nothing because my motion zones are really small. High level sound trigger might provide a bit of work-around for problems 1-3. It isn’t really useful in all situations, but it is still useful. It’s even more likely to be useful with indoor cameras. For some people recording (and optionally alerting) when a pet yelps in great distress even if it isn’t in-frame can be useful. Why force them to use other brands to cover a such a simple to implement feature you are lacking?

6 Likes