Ring App Feature Request

I would like to see the ability to schedule an announcement when motion detected. The announcement would says that recording has been activated. This would act as an additional deterrent in case a potential burglar hasn’t noticed a camera. It may not always be obvious there is a camera. Especially when you have two bright lights from the flood light.

2 Likes

Is the Mute all button being rolled little by little to users? I have seen it noted on redit, but I still do not see it on my phone.

I don’t see a way to password protect Ring on my cell phone. I do not & cannot use a phone password for various reasons.

I’d like to see when I click on the icon, require a pin each time I open the app. (Unless it is already open). If this is already in place, I can’t seem to find it. Please tell me where to find it so I can activate it.

A flaw in the Ring app.

I sat at my dining room table going to everything that I could see on the app & even all settings. I could remove a divice with no problem or disable it. However, if I lost my phone & a dishonest person gets it, if they figure out or know where I live, they can deactivate or remove all of my devices & gain access to the house.

4 Likes

Ideally, there would be a toggle that I can disable recording. Right now, I have to click through 3 layers to get to motion settings and then disable “motion zone”. There has got to be a better solution. When my wife and I sit on the deck in the evening I have to keep turning off the spotlight until I googled how to disable it.

3 Likes

Glad you asked @DarinWillFixIt! The Ring app is intended to make you feel like you are always home, with readily available alerts and access to ensure the best monitoring experience for peace of mind.

Aside from the commonly used lock screen options on mobile devices themselves, there is actually a feature in the app called “Two-factor Authentication” which will require a second layer of authentication upon logging in to the app. Of course this would only be useful if you wanted to log out and back in to the Ring app constantly, which we do not recommend for the best experience.

In the meantime, consider your request shared with the team.

1 Like

Good news @cceddie95! We are launching a feature in November, which will make your request a reality. The Modes feature will give neighbors the ability to choose from Home, Disarmed, or Away which each feature unique functionality such as disabling all Cams at once and more! Check out our Community article on Modes for more information :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. Because of the location Near a road without fixing the front porch (Vibrations and sun reflection from windshields) I get a lot of useless alerts caused by large or fast moving vehicles. Human detection would help.

2. The other day I was expecting a large package canada post did not ring the doorbell but left the notice had to pick it up myself. Human detection would help.

3. I have lag sure I could hard wire it and buy a third party power supply from amazon but it would not solve my other problems. I have a good signal and ring chime pro.

So I’m switchig to a Eufy doorbell cam

3 Likes

An option to remove Neighbors from the dashboard. For that matter an option to opt out of the whole neighborgood thing. I turned off the alterts, but the space on the dashboard is still just a distraction. I get that this neighborhood thing may be a value add for some users, but for some it is not. I just want an alarm system and cameras.

Hi!

I have the ring alarm system and just purchased the brand new indoor wired camera.

Would you be able to create a setting where the motion detection on the ring indoor camera is only active when I set my alarm to be armed? I do not want it recording all motion when we are home, but when away I certainly do want it to record in the event someone breaks in.

Right now, I have to turn motion detection to on or off only.

Can you explore making this setting? I think you will sell more indoor cameras!

Thanks.

3 Likes

Glad you asked @Natemackin ! There are two upcoming features that will certainly interest you. Linked Devices will be available in the near future, which will allow you to link your Alarm and Cam devices for more automation. Learn more, here

More closely related to your request, be on the lookout for Modes! The Modes feature will allow neighbors to control all Cameras on their account based on a home, away, and disarmed setting. Check out our Community post on Modes to learn more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After these two items are added I would say the only missing item is going to be Geofencing to make things perfect.

2 Likes

I’m reposting here what I posted on Reddit earlier today, since someone pointed me to the Ring Community forum.

I’m trying to move away from the Nest Ecosystem, but man, Ring is making it tough without some basic quality of life features.

I’m really unhappy with changes Google/Nest have made lately with their API and recording indicators. I have 4 cameras (2 indoor, 2 outdoor), all with Nest Aware. I’ve never actually properly installed the outdoor cameras, because I really don’t like the idea of drilling through a wall to securely plug it in, or running wiring along my house to plug a security camera into an easily accessible outdoor outlet.

I love that Ring has a floodlight camera. I replaced my existing floodlight last night with the Ring Floodlight. Getting a hardwired external camera, and smart lighting which I can control remotely is a huge win.

I was concerned with Ring not providing continuous recording like Nest does, especially when they claimed that it was going to become available and then all records of that claim being scrubbed from the Internet. The motion recordings do seem like they’re catching things very well, however. So I’m pretty happy with that.

That said, I’m having a real hard time with the user experience Ring provides.

Notifications. Make it so we can tell at a glance of the phone if something requires more attention. Currently we get the most generic notification in the world, and have to open up the app, wait for it to load the video, and then scrub through to find out if anything important happened. It’s bad to the point where I’ve had it set up for literally less than an entire day and I’m already simply ignoring notifications.

• Give more description than “There is a motion”. Everything is a motion. Is it a person? Car? Animal?
  • Tell me which zone was the motion in!
  • Give me a preview of what the camera caught, at the very least a still image to review without having to open up the app, wait for it to load the video, and scrub through to see wtf happened.

Website. It’s basically an afterthought.

• I can’t change any settings.
  • I can’t create or modify or view zones.
  • I can’t control the lights.
  • I can’t make my own clips or unshare footage.
  • The history list is as generic and unhelpful as the Notifications, and would be improved with the same changes.
  • Give me the event history timeline like the phone offers for quickly scrubbing through all recordings from the day
14 Likes

I kudo’ed several suggestions in this thread. I have some further suggestions.

These suggestions are largely in the context of the ring pro, and new ring plug-in indoor cameras.

1. The motion detection algorithms need to be *significantly* better. Right now my doorbell false detects motion every time a yard light turns on and off. Compensation for brightness shift without anything actually moving is something other brands (wyze, foscam, etc) appear to do fairly well with, but ring is terrible about it. Turning the sensitivity down doesn’t seem to help as I end up failing to detect people.

2. I live on a corner lot, and have a lot of problems with cars turning the corner at night sweeping their headlights across my yard, triggering motion and alerts. While I don’t expect ring to prevent the motion detection, I would like to be able to silence alerts at night on a scheduled basis. Right now I can use a motion detection schedule, but that also disables motion triggered recording. This leaves me stuck between not recording anything, even if an intruder walks right up to the front door, or having my phone buzz repeatedly in the middle of the night whenever a car goes by. Yes, I can manually turn alerts off at night and back on in the morning, but clearly alerts could be scheduled too.

3. Related to the car problem: It would be really nice to have two levels of motion zone… one that triggers recording, and another that triggers alerts. This would enable me to record anytime someone moves in the yard (including lots of false alerts from headlights at night) but only trigger an alert in the app if someone walks up to my doorstep. One of my current compromises for the lackings of 1) and 2) is to use a really small motion zone. I’d like to at least record on a larger basis.

4. Sound level triggered recording. This would have to be set with a pretty high threshold, but it would be good to trigger recording if there are really loud sounds nearby (car crash, person screaming, etc), even if there isn’t motion in my motion zones. The Wyzecam inside my garage today documented the time at which the trash truck accelerated hard past my house today without collecting my trash by sound, but isn’t positioned to see the street. My ring doorbell recorded nothing because my motion zones are really small. High level sound trigger might provide a bit of work-around for problems 1-3. It isn’t really useful in all situations, but it is still useful. It’s even more likely to be useful with indoor cameras. For some people recording (and optionally alerting) when a pet yelps in great distress even if it isn’t in-frame can be useful. Why force them to use other brands to cover a such a simple to implement feature you are lacking?

6 Likes

@Mattinmd I fully agree with you and some of those alerts are likely the sun reflecting on wind shields. I’m not so worried about cars so I purchased the Eufy doorbell it should be here soon ish to limit my alerts to PEOPLE. But since I already own the ring hardware and chime pro etc I will likely set it up to cover the back door side Alley where alerts for motion should be mostly people maybe the odd bird or squirrel.

I would be nice for us on the desktop app to get a multiview of all of the cameras with live feeds going for the wired ones.

5 Likes

It would be nice to have added to IOS 3D Touch menu the ability to arm and disarm WITHOUT HAVING TO OPEN THE APP. (Since we don’t have a key FOB…hint hint)

Also an official iOS shortcut would be nice also

4 Likes

Hey @Jsd ! I’ve moved your feature request over to this thread with the other amazing app related requests.

Thank you everyone for sharing and entrusting your feature requests with the Community, and rest assure we’re sharing these with the team in detail! Keep the great feedback coming :slight_smile:

Ability to acknowledge and dismiss permanently the huge orange bar in app that attempts to sell ring protect plans. I already bought multiple hundred dollar pieces of hardware now stop with the advertising. I only need to see it once then should be able to use the app without advertising.

Imagine if you bought a tv to use as a security monitor and it constantly advertised and nagged about getting cable on your screen?

3 Likes

Hello, a few weeks ago I notice that the icons in my (android) status bar have changed. It used to be that the icon triggered by a motion alert was a person walking and the icon for a doorbell ring was a bell. Now they are both big rounded-edge rectangles (with the word “ring” inside them but so tiny it’s virtually invisible). I can’t imagine why somebody thought it would be a good idea to change the informative icons into a big white rectangle. Please revert. Thanks!

PS: One more change you made, on the Dashboard, the “Neighbors” tile, it used to be that if there were new events, the text was red, otherwise “0 new events” was black. Now it’s always red and I actually have to read the tiny number to see if there’s anything new there or not. Please go back to only having red text if there are really new events. Thanks again.

Hi, when I’m reviewing my recordings in my Event History on my android phone, if I’m trying to view the videos from a while back, I scroll down to find the one I want, I look at it, then when I press Back to go back to the list (because most likely I want to see the chronologically next video), the app goes back to the top (most recent) in the Event History. This is very annoying; please do not scroll the list after I return from viewing a video, leave the list right where it was so I can easily select the next adjacent video without having to scroll down and try to find where I was just at. Thanks!

1 Like