Ring App Feature Request

Alexa Guard flaw:
Imagine leaving for work in the morning when it’s dark, and leaving your family, you set Ring Alarm to “Stay”. You also want Alexa Guard enabled to “listen” for glass breakage etc.
But wait! Alexa Guard will not work in “stay mode”. That’s a terrible oversight. So your forced to use “away mode” and manually disable motion sensors so they aren’t triggered by someone getting up to use the restroom.

Sometimes I feel like the engineers don’t use their own products.

1 Like

Please make an Apple Watch app. I’d be happy with one that would at least allow me to Arm/Disarm the Ring Security System, even if it didn’t do anything else!

3 Likes

I’ve chosen to go with Ring and I’ve invested in the entire Ring Protect system, cameras and doorbell. But, I’m frustrated that the Ring app is so terrible. Nest has vertical scrolling, zoom when viewing live video and even the ability to view an abbreviated video clip of a recording on the Apple Watch. It really sucks that the Ring app sucks so badly, considering how much I’ve invested in this system. Ring, lose the pride and take some pointers from Nest. They’re pretty smart and they know how to create a great user experience.

Ring HAD zoom while viewing live feed on the cameras, but with the latest app update, that feature has mysteriously disappeared. Not happy.

1 Like

I agree! And, they want so much to be as different from their nearest competitor (Nest) as possible that they deliberately design their app to behave in the opposite fashion, much to the detriment of the entire user experience. Wake up, Ring!!!

I am trying to set up Ring App for elderly parents, which means the app needs to be VERY simple… When someone rings their Ring Pro doorbell, the app needs to come up on their phones, in live view, with speaker and microphone already enabled, and the lock icon showing to control their Schlage Encode lock.

There should be configuration settings to support this user experience. They don’t need to mess with history, snooze, or neighborhood, so configuration should allow those functions to be hidden.

The app now is too cumbersome for those who need a simple experience.

Then you need to get an Echo Show, not a smartphone app. It’s appears simple once you get it set up and I’m pretty sure it can be configured to show the camera live as soon as the doorbell is pressed.

And, you need to refrain from telling people what they do or don’t need. They came to the right place and made a suggestion. Leave them alone. Your suggestion doesn’t meet all of their criteria. For some reason, people enjoy opposing others’ ideas on these types of forums, which discourages them from ever expressing their concerns or desires in the first place.

And you need to just not post if it upsets you. You’re just as bad, if not worse.

I’m just making a suggestion. I don’t know what their needs are, but I’ve been reading about the new Show and it’s capabilities. They may not even want that type of device. Again, it’s only a suggestion. That’s what these boards are. If all you want to do is complain about all the stuff that’s wrong with the app and not help work out issues that will probably never be fixed by an app update then please go somewhere else.

Notice to moderators: if everyone on this site is so touchy about people trying to help other people, you’ve lost me.

That’s your problem. You view other people’s’ feature suggestions and desire for improvements as mere “complaints”. You weren’t the least bit humble in your “suggestion”. You might have done well to start off with, “Have you looked at the Echo Show?” “It might be a product that addresses some of your concerns.” Instead, you make them feel like their suggestions are unwarranted, when, in fact, they make some good points. They may not be features I want or need, but they should be able to influence the Ring developers jus like everyone else.

Note to moderators: App Suggestion forums are supposed to be safe places where people can make suggestions that have the potential to influence developers without being chastised or having their suggestions or points of view minimized.

No, people need to be more accepting of other people’s suggestions without minimizing what they have to say. If no one speaks out against stuff like this, people are less inclined to express their opinions.

I’m on iOS, but I think my suggestion would be helpful on any platform.

I would like to suggest allowing me to turn off alerts from SHARED devices while still seeing my alerts for MY devices. I realize I can turn of alerts for the shared device from inside the app. But it seems that it turns off alerts for all other users as well (like the owner of the device). Am I misunderstanding the alert settings inside the app?

I installed a Ring doorbell for my parents and then had their account share the device with my own account.

2 Likes

Okay. I give up. I hope you lose the chip on your shoulder one day and realize that you shouldn’t judge people by a single paragraph. But you’re right, I’m not humble. I’m a network engineer with 40 years experience. I don’t make a fuss about it.

You are an intolerant person who knows a persons personality in a paragraph of text. Wow! You must be a psychologist. Anyway, I’m done… Signing off.

@RL_Wood - You can turn off alerts for shared users without turning them off for everyone. I have a friend added as a shared user on the devices at my home, she is also an owner of Ring devices at her own home. We turned off notifications for my location on her phone, I still get them. She still gets notifications for her own devices. It’s been a while since I set it up, but I believe you have to turn off the notifications for your parents’ LOCATION on your account, not their DEVICE.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your requests with the Community, neighbors! We appreciate the feedback and passion for security. It is always our goal to regularly provide new features and devices that suit all neighbors. These will certainly be shared with the team!

As a reminder, the Community is a place for positive interaction and constructive guidance. It is important that neighbors review our Community Guidelines to ensure we are making the Community the best it can be for all neighbors.

I’d like to request 2 features. First, I’d like to be able to have the ring app override my volume and do not disturb options when there is an alarm event at a location to ensure I hear the siren. Like pong paging. Second, I have some shared cameras for the same property that I would also like to record when there is an alarm event. I should be able to tie them into the linking even though they are shared with me and not on the alarm system account.

Ease reach out if you have questions. Thank you!

Hello
I work from home and I have a Ring Camera in my basement office. I have a “Monition Schedule“ set for my work hours, but I have to manually disable “Live View and Record Motion” when I am at my desk. I would like to see Ring App Product Enhancement that when I schedule the indoor Ring Camera not to alert me that can it also schedule the camera not to record live video or prompt me to disable those settings.

Hi, I would like a way to easily change cameras from the timeline view. I have multiple devices and having to back out to the main dashboard Everytime I want to switch devices is very tedious. Maybe even a view where I can view multiple devices at the same time would be nice

1 Like

Ring team,

I have to replace an old keypad to open a gate to park my vehicle at home, please see my suggestion below:

How about designing a Gate Opener that works just like a video doorbell where people come to the gate (this could be a driveway gate, a regular door with a buzzer to open it , or a garage door), and there will be a keypad to enter a code and open it if you know the code, a badge reader for amazon to swipe an employee badge to open and leave a package, and also a call button to call me (the owner) just like a video doorbell and if I recognize the person I can open this garage door or driveway gate from my Ring app on my phone.

Contact me if you have questions or if you already have a device that works as such.

Thanks