Ring App Feature Request

It looks like that it’s a customized UI instead of built in Andriod feature. Or maybe it’s Android 10? My phone is Sony Xperia XZ2 on Android 9. There’s no per app sound setting available.
But even per app sound is not good enough. Sound of alarm going off should be different from simple door contact sensor open event.

Ok I found where you got that screen shot. Go to Settings > Notifications > then it shows (after a few other things) some “Recently sent” notifications, under that select “See all”, then from that list tap “Ring” (if you don’t see it, tap the pulldown and choose “All”).

Then it shows me the following categories, each of which can be changed:

Ring Notification
Motion Notification
Driveway Motion Notification (I do have a camera called “Driveway” but I have others as well, I don’t know why “Driveway” has a special entry)
Ring Alarm
Neighbors

And it also says “2 categories deleted” - I didn’t delete them and I don’t know what they were (you can’t tap those words).

So yes I see I can change the sound to something long and loud. But my question is, what events exactly trigger these sounds, especially the ones labelled Ring Notification and Ring Alarm. Is “Ring Alarm” only entry delay and alarming, or is it also arming? Well I tried it and it is all of those things unfortunately. And it still only plays it once and only vibrates once (and tapping Vibrate just turns it on/off, it doesn’t allow setting the vibration pattern). So if I’m on Vibrate-only like in the movies, it still won’t get my attention (although now I’ve also turned on Blink Light if it’s under my coat or in my holster like it always it that won’t help either and I don’t think Ignore Do Not Disturb will change anything if I’m just on Vibrate-only and not in Do Not Disturb mode). So thanks for the tip about changing the app sound, better but still not ideal.

Why can’t your app notify me when the battery in the doorbell is low? It doesn’t let me know until I realize I haven’t heard the doorbell in a while, go into the app & look, see a red notification dot, go into it" battery critically low". I just did & the app had shut off the doorbell because the battery was dead! Apparently since 11-12-19

1 Like

Found it. Thank you both.
But like I said earlier, it’s still not good enough. I need different sound for alarm going off and other less important events. For instance, low battery event doesn’t need to be addressed immediately while I have to abort what I am doing if it’s smoke alarm.

I bought Amazon Echo Show to be used as a camera monitor. I want a way of automatically showing camera feed once motion is detected. Yes, I can say “Show front door”, however it takes time me and requires me to produce a sound. Thank want to come to the door quietly and see who is behind before deciding whether to open or not. Simples.

2 Likes

This would be a good feature to have. It may be best served from the Amazon Alexa/Echo side. I just tried to build a skil in Alex to do just that. I got s far as telling Alexa what to do bu “show a camer device” is not available. Since this would likely require coding on both the ring side and echo side, it would require some cooperative development work between Ring and Amazon. Nice idea. This would be a great help to many ring doorbell and camera users.

Thanks for the Kudo. I wish we would see this feature implemented. In addition to filtering capabilities by date range, type, device, etc. on the history, it would be nice to have a setting for how long your events/videos are kept. Like X days, X weeks, etc.

The Ring skill already has capability to show camera feed based on a voice command. What needs to be done is to expose the same command to automation, so that the existing motion trigger can be linked to the “Show feed” command, the rest will be a matter of setting up the routine.

I have ring logged in with the admin account user on three devices (android phone, android tablet, and Amazon echo show 5). After enabling ring two-factor authentication from my phone, my phone was forced to log out and then log in using the authentication code. The issue is that the tablet and the echo show 5 were never forced to log out. I restarted the tablet, opened the ring app, and it was still logged in to the account. Finally I logged out of ring on the tablet and was prompted to supply the authentication code to log back in. I don’t know if this issue is a security bug or a feature but it should be addressed. My suggestion would be to add the ability to log out all devices logged in by the admin user. This would force a log in using two-factor authentication.

This feature might also be helpfull in the case of one admin user sharing the account login/password with multiple people.

Thanks

It seems that many people want to share reports of potentially hazardous wildlife like coyotes, foxes, etc. but others don’t want to see these posts. My suggestion is to create a category label for “wildlife” that uses can opt out of.

You can force everyone off the account and make the sign back in.
You need to turn on the 2FA, then change the password. This will then force everyone to sign in and need the code. This is the only way to make sure no one is hiding and still on your account. HTH

I think it would be a nice and useful (and fun) feature to enable snapshots of a day downloadable including Motion Events (not just in-between motion events.) Let’s say for a busy street, or watching snowfall or weather changes, etc.

(I also have it enabled on all my cameras now but says “footage isn’t available” but that is an issue I hope is being addressed based on other users.)

We need a second form of two-factor authentication as a backup BADLY. Consider the following scenario: you are travelling aboard, without access to your USA phone number. You have NO WAY to get your two-factor authentication code!!!

8 Likes

I primarily want # 1, the ability to snooze chimes. I go to work early in the morning and the chimes wake my family.

Currently, I have to go to the Chime settings for the door I’m using and disable it, which is about 4-5 taps.

Then once I am outside I have to remember and do the same 4-5 taps to turn it back on.

4 Likes

I would love for the app to show a screencapture/still of whatever set off the motion detector, because the live-view takes too long to load.

I have a driveway spotlight camera, and get notifications all day long, but usually from stray cats walking by. The app’s live-view takes about 5 seconds to load, so by the time I can see it, the cat has moved on and not visible. So I have wait for the video to process completely to watch and confirm what caused the notification. I’ve started a work-around, which is, instead of clicking on the notification, I go into the ring app to see the last screen shot on my dashboard. That way I can see very quickly what triggered the notification without waiting minutes for the video. It would be wonderful if the notification itself showed a screengrab like this, or that it gave the option to click through to see a screengrab, to avoid missing the action while the video processes, and to save having to do the workaround which is a few steps more for my fingers! Thanks!

13 Likes

I know Ring beta testing program is invite-only at the moment,

I definitely think your beta tester should be more representative of your actual customers because I’m not sure if you are getting enough useful feedback on your product so you can make any necessary adjustments before your app launches that targets real users.

Beta testers hold all of the valuable information you need when it comes to improving your product and to make sure you don’t disabled features that everybody relays on especially after the new iOS update that disabled the pinch to zoom on live view.

5 Likes

It would be great to have a more useful alarm dashboard. An alternating message stream giving me the list of sensors that are open isn’t very helpful. How about a grid with indicator lights (red/green) with options for showing by room or by sensor type. You could also provide a list of open sensors instead of the flashing messages.

Obviously, this won’t all fit on a screen with a camera thumbnail, which is why I’d like the dashboard to be configurable, so I can decide what I want to see where. Perhaps a two page dash, which can be used by swiping.

4 Likes

My guess at least half of all ring users are Apple device users,
The competition allows you to view and monitor your cameras for years from an Apple TV app. Now that the Apple TVs are iOS based in TvOs And Apple TV app is a needed edition. Software apps are how users interact with the hardware they have purchased, apps now rule the world and allow us to do anything. This ecosystem of ring.com needs an Apple Watch app for alarm/cameras and an Apple TV app to allow users to monitor their home security.

147 Likes

I keep getting alerts when my dogs are out in the yard. I tried setting up the motion zones so that they are high enough that the dogs don’t get noticed. But I’m still getting the alerts. Here is my request.

1. have a red box or something track the items where ring is detecting motion

2. Allow the motion zone to be superimposed over videos or live stream so that you can better adjust your zones to avoid common motion.

Thanks

4 Likes

Love the ability to add lights and switches to the Ring Alarm System. It would be really useful to add status and ability to turn on and off from the Dashboard Screen vs having to drill down to the alarm devices screen. IOS user. Thanks

6 Likes