Ring 2.8.1 (801) Constantly crashing on MacBook Air

Ring 2.8.1 (801) Constantly crashing on my MacBook Air running El Capitan 10.11.6

Ever since the latest software update, the app is very unstable and freezes constantly.

It was fine before the update.

Date/Time: 2020-10-01 07:28:10 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.6 (Build 15G22010)
Architecture: x86_64h
Report Version: 22

Command: Ring
Path: /Applications/Ring.app/Contents/MacOS/Ring
Version: 2.8.1 (801)
App Item ID: 1142753258
App External ID: 837722073
Parent: launchd [1]
PID: 8792

Event: hang
Duration: 2.10s (process was unresponsive for 12 seconds before sampling)
Steps: 21 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: MacBookAir7,1
Active cpus: 4

Fan speed: 1187 rpm

Hi @dupecoop. Thanks for sharing all of these details on what you’re experiencing with the Ring App on Mac. Have you tried uninstalling the Ring App, restarting your MacBook Air, and reinstalling the Ring App? Have you experienced this concern with any other apps on your device?

1 Like

Thank you Caitlyn! That worked. I had reinstalled the app before, but I had not restarted the computer prior to reinstalling. Works perfectly without crashing now.

I do have a separate issue though. My Chime is set for one of my two Ring doorbells (home and office), but it sounds for both. I checked all my iPhone settings and they seem to be correct. I don’t see settings for the Chime on my MacBook Air.

@dupecoop Awesome, I’m glad to hear that the concern with the Ring App has been resolved for you. As for the Chime, I’d suggest resetting it and setting it back up to ensure that it is only set for one of your Doorbells. To reset the Chime, you’ll want to hold down the reset button on the side for at least 15 seconds. Once that’s done, you can set it back up in the Ring App by following the steps under Set Up a Device. From there you can resync it to the correct Doorbell. Let me know how that works for you. :slight_smile: